Why become a member? ×

Anyone Got A Certain Bass?

discreet

[size=4][b]Anyone Got A Certain Bass?[/b]

There are one or two posts on BC that mention Certain Basses, but has anyone had experience of them?

I like this guy's style and attitude, and his site is a great read, with interesting pics:

[url="http://www.certainbass.com/main.html"]http://www.certainbass.com/main.html[/url]

The ethos seems to be a certain distain for Fender's QC and pricing structure combined with the desire to make basses similar to Fender's pre-CBS output. Or... whatever you want. And seemingly at non-stratospheric prices.

Making Fenders that are better then Fenders, in fact. There are plenty of companies who do this very well and charge accordingly. Certain Bass's prices are consistent with what an 'average' Fender would cost you (depending on your options) but your money is spent on the bass rather than the middleman's cut. Interesting! :)[size=4] [/size][/size]
[size=4].[/size]

Edited by discreet

Yep,

I have one and I love it!

It's a '61 P-bass Jameson funk-machine remake and it sounds and feels perfect (especially strung with flats and with a bit of foam under the strings near the bridge), price was v good for how great it feels!

His comms were superb, he kept me up to speed with progress and was willing to chat endlessly about details and random stuff.

I got it in 2010 and it cost just under £800 including shipping etc and hard case (at the time)...

I've recently started making enquiries about him making me a custom shop style '61/'62 stack knob jazz fretless and it's looking like about £1100 ish (inc shipping etc)

Edited by andydye

I ordered it in the February and received it at the start of October, he had a few hiccups on the way which he was very open about, he also relocated during that time and I changed the spec on him too, he's quoting pretty quick build times now though (4-6 weeks ish I think)

Edited by andydye

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1329308424' post='1540320']
...he's quoting pretty quick build times now though (4-6 weeks ish I think)...
[/quote]

Thanks! 4-6 weeks is pretty quick in my humble opinion. Did the price include shipping? Were there any problems or extra charges re customs and that sort of thing?

I am fairly sure there was some kind of upset either here or maybe Talkbass regarding the fact basically all this gentleman does is buy OEM parts and put them together, the nuts he hand cuts from blanks but other than that they are really just bitsa basses, granted good ones but nowhere near as solid as something you can get from a true bespoke builder (of course for a bit more money!)

EDIT, the higher end models are 1200 dollars plus, then count into that shipping and import duty for something built out of a kit...

Go see Mr Shuker, wait a bloody age but get something truly hand made for the same maybe even less money.

Edited by throwoff

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1329308574' post='1540325']
Thanks! [b]4-6 weeks is pretty quick in my humble opinion[/b]. Did the price include shipping? Were there any problems or extra charges re customs and that sort of thing?
[/quote]

A little too quick... for full custom builds methinks. :ph34r:

edit : Ah there ^ you go.

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1329308753' post='1540332']
Go see Mr Shuker, wait a bloody age but get something truly hand made for the same maybe even less money.
[/quote]

Yes, I have been dribbling all over his site for the last day or two. :crazy:
Will I get the bass before I go tits-up, though? :lol:

Edited by discreet

I am fairly sure there was some kind of upset either here or maybe Talkbass regarding the fact basically all this gentleman does is buy OEM parts and put them together, the nuts he hand cuts from blanks but other than that they are really just bitsa basses, granted good ones but nowhere near as solid as something you can get from a true bespoke builder (of course for a bit more money!)

EDIT, the higher end models are 1200 dollars plus, then count into that shipping and import duty for something built out of a kit...

[/quote]

He's open about buying bodies, necks and hardware in, in his defence he does buy really really nice ones! If they expected him to build a completely hand built custom bass then I'd suggest they hadn't read his website very carefully.

Once you've converted from dollars to pounds and added on import duty and vat it was more or less the same price in dollars as it was in pounds (ie 1:1)

The bone nut on mine is spot on, the assembly is superb, he re-does the neck pockets so they're super-snug and marries the bridge to the body perfectly, despite not being 'string through body' my p resonates unlike any fender I've ever tried (and I've had a few), it's much more like the piano like Lakland I have!

No dead spots either!

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1329309225' post='1540344']
...I'm in Sheffield, you're welcome to pop over and have a nosy at my p-bass?
[/quote]

That's a very generous offer, thanks! I'm in SE London
... we do have trains though, so can I get back to you on that one? Thanks again. :)

[/quote]

Said it 1,000,000 times before. .

Mr Lewis (Ou7shined) above. The jazz he's making me is AMAZING! Attenion to detail is 2nd to none.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1329309170' post='1540343']
...The bone nut on mine is spot on, the assembly is superb,[b] he re-does the neck pockets so they're super-snug[/b] and marries the bridge to the body perfectly, despite not being 'string through body' my p resonates unlike any fender I've ever tried (and I've had a few), it's much more like the piano like Lakland I have!...[/quote]

He must be painting them too if that's the case. Adding or removing material from the neck pocket will always require re-finishing.

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1329308424' post='1540320']
he's quoting pretty quick build times now though (4-6 weeks ish I think)
[/quote]

Really?? I don't mean to be critical as I have no idea what set up the workshop has and how many staff are there, but that sounds like an off the shelf build rather than a custom build.

Edited by shizznit