Why become a member? ×

Trying a Sandberg ?

jjay69

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1329214822' post='1538765']
Guitar Guitar stock them. The Epsom branch might have some if you give them a ring.
[/quote]

Yup, was there at the weekend.
They've got a few in stock, very friendly shop too, not your typical music shop :)

[quote name='Prunesquallor' timestamp='1329215926' post='1538794']
Yep, it's a lovely place. It's where I bought my Squier from. It's quite large, so you can generally find a quiet corner to play around in. It's not like some of those cramped places you find.
[/quote]

It's also nice to go into a store and be treated politely and in a friendly manner.
Cracking shop :)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1329218781' post='1538867']
I find GuitarGuitar Sandberg prices to be way too high. You could potentially buy from Thomann a fair bit cheaper.
[/quote]

To be fair, I didn't really look at the prices, my bass guitar "perversions" preclude me from considering buying non-custom basses ;)

Eude

[quote name='yorick' timestamp='1329214047' post='1538741']
PMT stock quite a few, but stock varies from branch to branch. Bass Direct in Warwick stocks them as well.
[/quote]

I think Bass Direct haven't stocked any Sandbergs for quite a while. PMT do usually have quite a good selection, and they're happy to move models between branches if there's something specific you want to try, although I think they ask for a refundable deposit to make sure that you actually show up to try.

You're welcome to try mine if you're ever in Hereford!

Thanks for the input so far guys, seems there's a few around but it will mean a bit of a trip wherever i go, probably guitarguitar south of the river then. Dosent matter if they're a bit pricey at this stage, it's mainly for me to do a comparison against my USA Jazz Deluxe and see where i am with it. Incidently what would be the closest equivalent Sandberg to the Fender Deluxe (ie active/passive 3 band eq etc ?? )

[quote name='jjay69' timestamp='1329228164' post='1539114']
Thanks for the input so far guys, seems there's a few around but it will mean a bit of a trip wherever i go, probably guitarguitar south of the river then. Dosent matter if they're a bit pricey at this stage, it's mainly for me to do a comparison against my USA Jazz Deluxe and see where i am with it. Incidently what would be the closest equivalent Sandberg to the Fender Deluxe (ie active/passive 3 band eq etc ?? )
[/quote]

The Sandberg California JJ's will be the ones that will compare to your Jazz Deluxe. They don't feature any mid EQ control though - rather a 2-band EQ, volume and blend controls + a passive switch that turns one of the EQ knobs into a passive tone if my memory serves. They're really lovely instruments, I must say of all the ones I've tried, I have failed to find anything to complain about at all. The Delano pups in them do have a particular sound that you'll either like or your won't perhaps. But I really like them.

It's worth trying a TM with the MM humbucker at the bridge. It won't sound like a Stingray because of the positioning, but it will make complete sense when you try it! It sounds like a J bridge pickup, but just a bit more gutsy and muscular. There is a mini toggle to split it to single coil too if you want. Risingson is dead right, it's a two band eq, with push/pull active/passive volume control, and the treble pot acts as passive tone control.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1329229635' post='1539149']
It's worth trying a TM with the MM humbucker at the bridge. It won't sound like a Stingray because of the positioning, but it will make complete sense when you try it! It sounds like a J bridge pickup, but just a bit more gutsy and muscular. There is a mini toggle to split it to single coil too if you want. Risingson is dead right, it's a two band eq, with push/pull active/passive volume control, and the treble pot acts as passive tone control.
[/quote]

+1 on the MM pickup, I forgot about those. They did go some way to giving you a gutsier sound! I tried a JM5 Cali and was gutted that I didn't have enough money to leave the store with it. Very impressive instrument.

[quote]Tried a number when GuitarGuitar started stocking these, but though all were somewhat cheap and nasty - raw woods, thin finishes, and nasal/characterless pickups/electrics - for a maker pitching its product at an intermediate to pro level[/quote]

Well thats the first time i see Sandbergs getting tough love

[quote] It's worth trying a TM with the MM humbucker at the bridge. It won't sound like a Stingray because of the positioning, but it will make complete sense when you try it! It sounds like a J bridge pickup, but just a bit more gutsy and muscular. There is a mini toggle to split it to single coil too if you want. Risingson is dead right, it's a two band eq, with push/pull active/passive volume control, and the treble pot acts as passive tone control[/quote]

Now your speaking my lingo, i really love that humbucker sound, position, the way you can lock your thumb in between the screw threads, flexibility of the toggle switch aand its a jazz shape, neck pick up option ability to split the two pups for tone, damn its got it all. I have similar features on my G&L and love the MM pup, so for me this looks like a pearler !

check it.

[url="http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/basscat-overview/calt-series/caltm"]http://www.sandberg-...lt-series/caltm[/url]

I mean look at some of the wood finishes on these, there must be some quality workmanship in there for them to even bother offering options like this ?

[url="http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/basscat-overview/calt-series/caltm"]http://www.sandberg-...lt-series/caltm[/url]

Another thing that's worth mentioning is weight. Until recently, I think the onnly Sandbergs that I had owned or played were Ash bodies (all of the matt finishes are Ash). Although they're not the heaviest basses I've played, they're no lightweights. I've recently aquired a Basic Ken Taylor 5er in gloss black (all the gloss finishes are Alder), and it's WAY lighter than either of my Ash-bodied Basics. Just worth remembering if you try an Ash one and the weight puts you off.

If you see one in the flesh, I would really recommend trying a Ken Taylor. I guess you won't like the look of them if you're into Fender-a-likes, but the necks on the Basic range are just incredible, and the Ken Taylor is so versatile. 2 x MM 'buckers, active/passive, 3-band eq, coil split switch.

Don't get me wrong, the necks on the California's are far from chunky.

Just be prepared that if you do try some Sandbergs out, it might put you off Fenders completely! That's what happened with me.......

Interesting about the weight as my ash bodied Basic is one of my lightest basses, coupled with brilliant balance makes it my most comfortable bass to wear. All true about the MM p/up, I've always thought about it being a really muscular J. However, I recently did a side by side comparison with my Ray34 and to my ears it's almost there, add a little of the P and it's as near to having a Ray without actually having one, so much so that my Ray34 may shortly be put up for sale.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1329302400' post='1540167']
Interesting about the weight as my ash bodied Basic is one of my lightest basses, coupled with brilliant balance makes it my most comfortable bass to wear. All true about the MM p/up, I've always thought about it being a really muscular J. However, I recently did a side by side comparison with my Ray34 and to my ears it's almost there, add a little of the P and it's as near to having a Ray without actually having one, so much so that my Ray34 may shortly be put up for sale.
[/quote]

+1

When I had a California PM, I thought that the P and MM blended could produce a fairly authentic "sweet spot" humbucker tone.