Why become a member? ×

Weighty bass

EmmettC

I see alot of people here have an issue with heavy basses, all my favourite basses are really heavy. I always assumed that part of the nice tone of my Precision, G&L and Stingray came from the weight. I realise all of these are Leo basses, but from what I've heard of Warwicks they can be pretty hefty too.

Am I totally wrong assuming the heavy wood is part of the character of the bass?

I have a very thick strap, and I wear my bass slightly above my waist, so I have no problem with the weight, apart from when carrying the bass(es).

Sorry if I'm opening up an old can of worms.

I don't have anything aganst lighter basses, but my TRB is my only light bass, and it plays lovely, but I don't really love the sound. I guess I just like Fender-y basses, and have learned to put up with the weight, I had a lighter Japanese Precision and it was't nearly as nice as my 72, but I guess it's an unfair comparison.

I wouldn't say weight itself affects tone but the density of the wood does and this will of course affect the weight. Personally my favourite bass for playing is my T40 which is definitely heavy compared to any other bass I've ever really played other than big ERBs but it cuts through the mix like no other bass I've owned has.

Weight may affect tone but it won't make it better or worse, because that depends on your preference. Most of the basses I love the tone of are really light. All the best sounding Fenders I've played have been light; I don't tend to like the sound of the heavy ones.

I own heavy basses, I own light basses. They all sound good (to me) because of the pickups, electronics and strings and while I'm not completely closed minded to the idea that wood type/density will have some influence on tone, I'd be surprised if it was more than 10% influence - if anyone could ever put a figure on it. I don't think weight/density makes one bass better than another, just different.

I sympathise with people who have physical difficulties with heavy basses and I feel lucky that I am physically able to play any bass I choose. The right strap makes all the difference. My two heaviest basses (>12lbs) have Neotech Mega straps and it makes them comfy for the whole set.

I've a couple of basses weighing in about 11lbs (Status S2 bolt-on, 78 Jazz) and they seem to sound a bit snappier than the others but with lots of oomph. More of a scooped sound I guess, I could probably replicate the sound on the lighter basses with some careful EQ work.

I'm lucky that although I have a few back problems strapping a bass on doesn't seem to make much difference, I guess I'm hauling nearly 300 lbs around all day anyway an extra 11 is no biggie :blink:

One of my best basses, in terms of sheer playing enjoyment, is my Charvel - which is the lightest by some distance. It's all in the design, and some can make their weight work - others can't.

I didn't mind it so much, but slipped a disc last year, and now it's a real concern.