Why become a member? ×

Am I missing something??

TheGreek

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1329041945' post='1536261']
Maybe try it in a band situation before ditching it, Fenders have a strange habit of fitting in really well despite sounding a bit ordinary soloed.
[/quote]
^ this

Like you i have been down the "anything but Fender" route. Had a classic Stingray sounded amazing at home but wouldn't sit in the mix in some live contexts. Also had a weak "G". Had a great Lakland - similar story.

In the end (after 25 + years) i got a HW1 with a pre-amp in. Hoofed the PuPs out and changed them for some more upmarket ones. Bang! Sounds and feels fantastic in a live situation.

I'd say gig it before you make any decision.

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1329045659' post='1536343']
To add even more insult to injury, a band I used to be in was doing some recording and the guitarist had a Fender Jazz master guitar, the Elvis Costello signature model. Lovely sounding guitar, stunning even. But he couldn't record with it because of a constant buzz probably due to shielding. Bear in mind it was as new but bought second hand as was over £1k. I would have been livid if that was my guitar. You spend all that money on something you can't record with because it hasn't been built properly.
[/quote]

That's a common fault with Jazzmasters due to the big, flat single coils. They should all be shielded but I don't think the pickups are wax potted.

This is what bugs me about Fender, they re-issued the Jazzmaster years ago, stuck a price tag on of over a grand and fixed absolutely none of the problems the original had. The QC was also apparently awful. It's taken them until a couple of years ago to sit down and re-evaluate what the potential of the guitar was and 2 guys from Sonic Youth still did a better job.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1328978160' post='1535585']
Don't ask me?

I think it's probably because it's a classic design. There's probably a thousand other basses out there made by other manufacturers which are better in many ways but you don't fantasise about driving through the Swiss Alps in a Honda NSX you fantasise about driving through the Swiss Alps in a Ferrari.
[/quote]

I don't, I fantasise about driving through the Swiss Alps in a 1968 Ford Mustang ;)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1328978535' post='1535596']
Amended slightly - and yes, I clocked the Overwater.

I've spent years trying to love Jazz basses, and I've failed miserably. I've had standard Jazzes, vintage Jazzes, super-Jazzes, and they just don't do it for me.

Precisions now, ah well, that's a different kettle of fish, get my drift, know what I mean?

Nowt to do with Fenders, it's just the type of bass that I don't get on with. Maybe the same for you?
[/quote]

+1.

Thing is, and this is something I've never really understood, many people seem to think that because x amount of people like bass y, they must like it too. If they don't, there's obviously something wrong with the bass or everyone else who does like it.

There are people at work I get on with really well that no-one else does, and vice versa. It's the combination of the two. Same goes here. I once had a Tokai Jazz Bass that felt all wrong to me and that when I played it sounded awful. I'll never forget taking it into the Gallery for a set up and someone there (I forget who) playing it. It sounded fantastic, and I couldn't get that tone out of it in a million years. It wasn't me. It wasn't the bass. It was the combination of me and the bass that didn't work.

The other thing I would say is, have you tried the Jazz in a band situation? Not that it made any difference with mine (in fact it confirmed how I couldn't get on with them) but I've had loads of basses that have been fantastic at home and useless in a band situation and vice versa once again.

[quote name='99mustang' timestamp='1329056236' post='1536537']
I don't, I fantasise about driving through the Swiss Alps in a 1968 Ford Mustang ;)
[/quote]

If I drove, this would be my choice too. This or an AC Cobra. You can keep all the other fancy stuff. ;)