Why become a member? ×

Strings for a 12er bass

warwickhunt

Looking for recommendations for strings to put on a newly acquired cheapie 12 string bass. I've included that it is a cheapie because I don't really want to spend almost as much on the set of strings as the bass cost! LOL
I'm looking for opinions on what sounds good (reflecting price), where to get them from and any other thoughts.
Oh and I realise that this will be a select audience that can respond but I hope I'll have at least a couple of tips/info! ;)

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1328981376' post='1535672']
I can certainly order you a set I got an 8 string set for someone else on the forum.

I have an order ready to go in so if you want them let me know what it is and I can include it.

Alan
[/quote]

Can you get me a price inc' delivery please Alan.

Cheers.

Got this back from SIT.

[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=1]
We offer a nickel and Stainless 12 string octave set if that is what you need??? [/size][/font][/color]

Fundamental Strings:[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=1]
1 each 40NR(SR),55,70,95[/size][/font][/color]
Octave Strings:[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=1]
2 each 18Plain, 25NR (SR), 35, 45[/size][/font][/color]

£45 inc delivery.[color=#000000][font=Helvetica][size=1]

[/size][/font][/color]

I use the D'addario's on my Hamer. Very nice and not bad for £28. Ironically they cost less than my Rotosound 8 string sets I get....

[url="http://www.soundunlimited.co.uk/product_743_DAddario_EXL170-12_45-100.html"]http://www.soundunlimited.co.uk/product_743_DAddario_EXL170-12_45-100.html[/url]

On a personal level, I'd always prefer steel strings to nickel, but finding them at a reasonable price for a 12 string.... You might as well try and find strings made out of crystalised unicorn tears.

I assume you got that Galveston that was advertised on here a few weeks ago? Just out of curiosity, how does it play? Thin/fat neck? Neck dive? Decent EQ?

I prefer the feel/tone of nickels so I'll not likely look a steels.

Yes it is that Galveston; it has a wide flat neck (I'd not have expected a lesser wide neck considering what has to fit across it) and there is a little bit of neck dive but it isn't that bad and a wide (non-slip) strap virtually sorts that. The action on arrival was a bit much for me but I've now got it set up so that it isn't any more than my 4 strings. Intonation looks like it'll be OK to do (separate saddles for the drone/octave strings) but the little nut that sits the other end of the adjuster screw needs to be gripped while adjusting... not easily done with all of the strings on, so when I fit new strings I'll try and get it as close to what I expect before I string it and bring it up to tension. ;)

Research seems to show that the Galveston is made in the same factory as a lot of these cheaper 12s and the bridge unit is the same on all of them inc Dean basses.

Just need to find a 'real-I-am' Hamer B12 now!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1329322284' post='1540654']
I prefer the feel/tone of nickels so I'll not likely look a steels.

Yes it is that Galveston; it has a wide flat neck (I'd not have expected a lesser wide neck considering what has to fit across it) and there is a little bit of neck dive but it isn't that bad and a wide (non-slip) strap virtually sorts that. The action on arrival was a bit much for me but I've now got it set up so that it isn't any more than my 4 strings. Intonation looks like it'll be OK to do (separate saddles for the drone/octave strings) but the little nut that sits the other end of the adjuster screw needs to be gripped while adjusting... not easily done with all of the strings on, so when I fit new strings I'll try and get it as close to what I expect before I string it and bring it up to tension. ;)

Research seems to show that the Galveston is made in the same factory as a lot of these cheaper 12s and the bridge unit is the same on all of them inc Dean basses.

Just need to find a 'real-I-am' Hamer B12 now!
[/quote]

A 12 does take a bit of time to get used to and I toyed with getting a cheaper 12 then changed my mind and just took the plunge with the Hamer. Took me a few days to get used to the 3 strings at once, but it wasn't that different from playing an 8. After that, I then had the action lowered to virtually zero so it plays really fast now. You'll be reasonably lucky to get a Hamer as thanks to Fender you won't get a new Hamer B12L in the UK at all. Apparently they're "too similar" to current Fender models. An easier definition of "total crap" has never been quicker to hand. That quote is not made up. If you phone up Fender UK they'll probably say something equally spurious and similar. It's just another reason why I wouldn't buy one of their instruments which haven't changed design in any significant way for the last 60 years. However, I digress....

I got my Hamer 2nd hand from a place in Germany. Apparently it was made in 1998, but it still plays great.

I assume your B12 is the double cut model as opposed to the SC 'acoustic-look'?

Can't believe Fender, that is so cr*p that it is too similar to their models!

I'm keeping my eyes open for a Tom Petersson model (Hamer or otherwise) and funnily enough I have someone who will likely want this Galveston when I do. ;)

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1329326277' post='1540742']
I assume your B12 is the double cut model as opposed to the SC 'acoustic-look'?

Can't believe Fender, that is so cr*p that it is too similar to their models!

I'm keeping my eyes open for a Tom Petersson model (Hamer or otherwise) and funnily enough I have someone who will likely want this Galveston when I do. ;)
[/quote]

My B12 is the Chaparral USA version [url="http://www.hamerguitars.com/uk/?fa=detail&mid=395"]http://www.hamerguit...=detail&mid=395[/url] the one which isn't semi acoustic. It's a bit more sculpted than a precision or jazz, but as Fender own Kamen who own Hamer, they can do what they want. They just did themself out of £4K for everyone who has wanted one in the last 3 years as that's what it is for a new Chapparal USA. According to their 2009 price list. Ouch.

I have heard good things about the Waterstone TP models, and they're quite reasonably priced for what you get. At least I think so. Good luck in your quest!! :D