Why become a member? ×

Got to do a project

Finbar

For my end of year assignment for college, I have to do a 15 minute presentation on the subject of my choice. It is a music course, so naturally they expect something to do with music. Maybe a particularly influencial artist/musician, or something to do with the bass possibly? Anyway, I'm completely stumped on what to do it about... I'm fine doing the work, once I've got a solid idea of what to do. Anyone done something similar in the past that worked well? Just throw some ideas at me! Bass/music related, obviously :)

Cheers ^_^

Chris

Edited by Finbar

When I was in college I did one on the evolution of the role of the bass in popular music, from early jazz (yes it was the popular music of its day) to current times, incorporating the switch to electric bass and covering the main differences (ie rhythmic structures and variances) and which elements in particular could be traced right through its history.
The research turned out to be fascinating, and it means that I can be a pompous twat when giving it large on here :)
Seriously though everybody found it fascinating and I got really good marks for it.

Can't you do some sort of practical project, and then basically talk it through - like recorda song, play them a minute of it, and then tell then how oyu recorded each bit and how you mixed it etc etc.

I'd find it way easier to basically narrate something i'd done.

[quote name='charic' post='171198' date='Apr 7 2008, 10:18 AM']"How to make a presentation"[/quote]

'This presentation is in two parts. In the first part I explain that it's going to be in two parts...and I haven't quite decided what's in the second part yet'.

Or:

Is Downloading depriving Musicians of a living?
Does Humour Belong in Music?
Who wrote Whiter Shade of Pale?

or look back through the topics discussed here and find the most contoversial, probably one where BBC gets challenged to a duel by an offended party ;-)

How about "Why bass is so important", a question largely answered by the "How Music Works" program on bass:
[url="http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites/H/how_music_works/bass.html"]http://www.channel4.com/culture/microsites...works/bass.html[/url]

I bet someone has a tape of this lying around - although I must confess I just watched it at the broadcast time and didn't have the forethought to tape it.

[quote name='The Funk' post='171666' date='Apr 7 2008, 06:35 PM']Dude, you play a 7-string bass guitar. Isn't the answer obvious?[/quote]

^^

Merits of ERB's over standard planks.

Covers larger range of notes, application of theory (more chords) etc,

And you can do a section on the social stigma relating to anyone not playing a 4 (or the now accepted 5 in certain genre's)

You can also detail how construction differs due to more tension requiring more choice in woods/graphite inserts, scale etc, plus you'll have to cover the basic's of bass construction)

I'm sure you can think of more sections to cover, those were straight off the top of my head.