Why become a member? ×

Grade 8 Song Choices?

lobematt

I've got an audition in 2 weeks as a teacher in a new music school. They've asked me to prepare a grade 8 standard piece of at least 5 mins. I'm not too sure how hard a grade 8 piece should be, I've had a search on youtube and anything that comes up doesn't really look too bad.

I was thinking Come On Come Over but that's about a minute short of the 5 min mark. What do you think to Continuum? Or maybe Master Blaster or Sir Duke?

Or any other suggestions you've got or songs you have played in the past would be helpful!

Cheers :)

[quote name='lobematt' timestamp='1328608688' post='1529758']
I've got an audition in 2 weeks as a teacher in a new music school. They've asked me to prepare a grade 8 standard piece of at least 5 mins. I'm not too sure how hard a grade 8 piece should be, I've had a search on youtube and anything that comes up doesn't really look too bad.

I was thinking Come On Come Over but that's about a minute short of the 5 min mark. What do you think to Continuum? Or maybe Master Blaster or Sir Duke?

Or any other suggestions you've got or songs you have played in the past would be helpful!

Cheers :)
[/quote]

Grade 8 under what awards body? I sat gradings (not on bass) under the ABRSM a good few years back and would put most of those pieces at grade 5 or 6 in terms of difficulty/technicality under their standards. But then, listening to some of the "Rock School" grade 8 pieces, you may be in the right ballpark.

[quote name='lobematt' timestamp='1328609716' post='1529768']
The email I got with the audition info says... "it must be of a high level (Grade 8/Diploma). We are looking for all applicants to show themselves and their skills..."

And that's basically it!
[/quote]

Hmm... The Rockschool grade 8 pieces are not of a high level, IMHO, based on recordings I've seen on youtube.

What sort of a music school is it? What other instruments/disciplines do they teach/intend to teach?

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1328609548' post='1529765']
Grade 8 under what awards body? I sat gradings (not on bass) under the ABRSM a good few years back and would put most of those pieces at grade 5 or 6 in terms of difficulty/technicality under their standards. But then, listening to some of the "Rock School" grade 8 pieces, you may be in the right ballpark.
[/quote]

I would agree that this makes a big difference, in my experience rock school are substantially easier than most comparable awards bodies. I guess I'd probably base it on the sort of music school and if they are likely to be more classically focused etc.

Chord melody.

Solo bass is boring for the vast majority of people. Something like Viaceslav Svedov's cover of Michael Jackson's Black or White manages to showcase his abilities without being something only endurable by a bass player.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v2qcqvZfms&feature=related[/media]

1. Rockschool Grade 8 is an internationally recognised qualification. If the bumph says Grade 8 then they should be fine.

2. Rockschool examiners are expecting you to put a lot of yourself into the performance at that level - it's not just the notes, it's your interpretation of them. If you want to show off pick a piece that has a good solo section and widdle away (in the style of the piece of course - a rock solo wouldn't get you many marks in a latin groove piece).

Not gospel, but just so you are clear about the Rockschool stuff. Your audition, your choice.

Any reason why you can't do 2 pieces in contrasting styles? Will you have something available to you for the -1 track?

Edited by leftybassman392

Not sure about doing 2 pieces, they've only asked for one but it can't hurt to have another prepared in the bag ;)

I've thought about doing a standard, Autumn Leaves maybe, melody, bassline, improv, melody type thing. Would definitely be over the 5 min mark too.

The school isn't open yet so I'm not too sure what type of music they do but I think they're trying to sell it as like a jam school so I think it might be quite rocky.

Dlloyd - lovin that vid, might try and do something like that. I've seen Marcus Miller do Come Together in a similar style, could be worth a go!

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1328631492' post='1530356']
1. Rockschool Grade 8 is an internationally recognised qualification. If the bumph says Grade 8 then they should be fine.

2. Rockschool examiners are expecting you to put a lot of yourself into the performance at that level - it's not just the notes, it's your interpretation of them. If you want to show off pick a piece that has a good solo section and widdle away (in the style of the piece of course - a rock solo wouldn't get you many marks in a latin groove piece).

[/quote]

It's not easy to do well, sure it's not ABRSM classical level as written notes, but that is not the whole story of getting a good mark by any stretch of the imagination.

That could work. One of my grade 8 pieces for trombone was a 3-part cello suit adapted for trombone. Itssemi-quaver galore at 120 BPM.

And yes speed/fitting in as many notes as possible is not the end all be all. I also had a piece in 3/2, very slow... Gustav Mahler's 3rd Symphony trombone solo.

Its all about you really. ABRSM/Trinity GuildHall always seem to have a kindof snobish attitude to modern instruments such as guitars, etc.

Edited by Alec 'Aleb' Mills

[quote name='lobematt' timestamp='1328632997' post='1530397']
I've thought about doing a standard, Autumn Leaves maybe, melody, bassline, improv, melody type thing. Would definitely be over the 5 min mark too.
[/quote]
It might be worth getting the clarity of what they understand as Grade 8. Not an unreasonable question.
If you decide on the "standards route", Mike Dimns book "The Art of Solo Bass" has the transcriptions for Shadow Of Your Smile, Over the Rainbow and a good Rhythm Changes transcription in a Comping/Melody style. Very effective and lots of room for Improv.
If you haven't got the book, I would be happy to scan and email for you.

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1328642144' post='1530602']
It might be worth getting the clarity of what they understand as Grade 8. Not an unreasonable question.
If you decide on the "standards route", Mike Dimns book "The Art of Solo Bass" has the transcriptions for Shadow Of Your Smile, Over the Rainbow and a good Rhythm Changes transcription in a Comping/Melody style. Very effective and lots of room for Improv.
If you haven't got the book, I would be happy to scan and email for you.
[/quote]

Yeah man that'd be great! You gotta PM!

[quote name='BassBunny' timestamp='1328642144' post='1530602']
[/quote]

Again, your choice OP, but do you honestly think that asking them what they mean by Grade 8 is going to go down well? What would you think if the roles were reversed?

Are you sure you're not overthinking this? Asking a question like this, on this forum, is guaranteed to net you any number of well-meaning but conflicting opinions (no offence intended). They just want to know that you can play the damn thing to Grade 8 standard! Rather than trying to do something you hope they'll like, why not choose something you'll like?

Get the Rockschool Grade 8 book and the ABRSM Grade 8 DB one. If the latter is adaptable to EB then play that. It will require not only playing ability but also arrangement and interpretation skills. Play on a fretless bass for added kudos.

Also, I don't necessarily buy this RS is inferior to AB stuff. I have AB Grade 8 violin and I'm currently working thorough the RS bass books. My current RS Grade 4 bass pieces are a similar standard to my daughter's AB Grade 4 violin. Musicianship tests for AB are probably a bit tougher but OTOH RS has stuff that AB hasn't so it's horses for courses.

ETA: Good Luck!

Edited by muttley

The Rockschool pieces are way to easy to be grade 8. I'de stay away from pieces that are from graded books. Most of those pieces lack character and can be boring to listen to and play. Also im sure they'd prefer a grade 8 standard piece, not an actual grade 8 piece from a book. Picking something away from a graded syllabus will show them more about you as a player.

[quote name='Master blaster' timestamp='1328708806' post='1531429']
The Rockschool pieces are way to easy to be grade 8.
[/quote]

Oh dear! This could get tedious. At the risk of repeating both myself and other posters on this thread:-

The Rockschool pieces are not too easy to be Grade 8.... they ARE Grade 8. End of.

Making a statement like this presupposes that you know something about what Grade 8 'should be' that those poor old muppets at Rockschool - who have, after all, only been doing this stuff for around 20 years - are not privy to. Perhaps you'd care to enlighten us. Better yet, maybe you should call Rockschool and tell them what it is they're doing wrong and how they can make their pieces more like proper Grade 8.

Edited by leftybassman392

Well put.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1328711270' post='1531484']

Oh dear! This could get tedious. At the risk of repeating both myself and other posters on this thread:-

The Rockschool pieces are not too easy to be Grade 8.... they ARE Grade 8. End of.

Making a statement like this presupposes that you know something about what Grade 8 'should be' that those poor old muppets at Rockschool - who have, after all, only been doing this stuff for around 20 years - are not privy to. Perhaps you'd care to enlighten us. Better yet, maybe you should call Rockschool and tell them what it is they're doing wrong and how they can make their pieces more like proper Grade 8.
[/quote]