Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Foderas... Too expensive?

binky_bass

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1328630871' post='1530340']
Uh oh - better watch out for the Harley riders coming after you Bilbo :)

I was a member of a Harley club in the UK for many years and I've never known so many people put so many miles on their bikes in all weathers.

In my experience the riders of Honda Fireblades and Ducati sportsbikes are more likely to be 'fair weather' bikers than the Harley brigade.

Of course this isn't to say that quite a lot of all bikers fall into the higher income, middle aged bracket. After all, look at me - a 52 year old, twin Fodera owner plus a BMW K1200GT, Aprilia RSVR 1,000 Factory & a Harley mild custom sitting in the garage :lol:
[/quote]

Most of my mates who are 'proper' bikers are generally highly amused by the average Harley rider - to be fair we all are!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1328632016' post='1530370']
The trouble with men in the mid life crisis phase is you can't tell them. Like bigots, they cannot but see themselves as reasonable people, unaffected by such things.

What tattoo have you got, molan? :lol:
[/quote]

Lets not knock the mid life crisis too much...........

A mate of mine hit his early 50s and got a couple of arms of tattoos, traded in his missus for a younger more glamorous (and to be fair, much nicer) model, passed his bike test and bought a gleaming harley

We all laughed at the obvious mid life crisis but he's happier than I've ever seen him in the 30 years I've known him!

Edited by peteb

I think I enjoy the 'proper biker' conversations almost as much as the 'Fodera are too expensive' ones ;)

So what constitutes a 'proper biker'?

I ride approx 300 to 400 miles a week, all year round, does this qualify me or do I get excluded because some of those miles are on a Harley?

I've ridden from Miami to San Francisco, and beyond, all of it on a Harley. Also Miami to Washington on a zig zag route through the Blue Ridge mountains. All of this on a great big old Electra Glide in all weathers, probably not 'proper' biking though.

Meanwhile I have an Italian sports bike that I probably ride less than 2K miles a year but it's seen as OK down the biker cafe because it looks like a race rep.

For me, a big part of the fun of a Harley is that when you fling it into a corner you really have to work hard to come out the other side - the same cannot be said of my Aprilia or Beemer which sail through with little effort.

Personally I think a Harley is way more similar to a vintage Fender and a Ducati is a Fodera. I'd be more than happy to own all four :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1328658868' post='1530944']
I think I enjoy the 'proper biker' conversations almost as much as the 'Fodera are too expensive' ones ;)

I ride approx 300 to 400 miles a week, all year round, does this qualify me or do I get excluded because some of those miles are on a Harley?

I've ridden from Miami to San Francisco, and beyond, all of it on a Harley. Also Miami to Washington on a zig zag route through the Blue Ridge mountains. All of this on a great big old Electra Glide in all weathers, probably not 'proper' biking though.

Meanwhile I have an Italian sports bike that I probably ride less than 2K miles a year but it's seen as OK down the biker cafe because it looks like a race rep.

For me, a big part of the fun of a Harley is that when you fling it into a corner you really have to work hard to come out the other side - the same cannot be said of my Aprilia or Beemer which sail through with little effort.

Personally I think a Harley is way more similar to a vintage Fender and a Ducati is a Fodera. I'd be more than happy to own all four :)
[/quote]
[color=#222222]I suppose that by a proper biker I mean someone who has always ridden bikes - from their teens / 20s to their 40s / 50s or whatever[/color]

[color=#222222]No offence meant, but as someone who has never had a bike I am merely repeating the prejudices of many of my friends who have always been bikers![/color]

[color=#222222]I would agree with your statement about old Fenders being similar to a Harley compared to a Fodera / Ducati[/color]

[color=#222222]From my point of view, the best bass I have ever played was a Fodera – however I would have to have a lot of spare cash before I would consider buying one as you can get a bass that comes awful close if you can spend £1k to £2k![/color]

Edited by peteb

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1328658868' post='1530944']

[/quote]

Don't worry Barrie, I think you seem to be having a blast! I don't see age being any barrier. Enjoy life, spend money, enjoy bass! We are all here once and once only.

hmmm Harleys..?? I was in South Carolina at the time of a Harley Convention...and couldn't work out what all the pickup trucks were doing parked up in the streets...!!
The cab driver said all the dudes bussed in the bikes as they were such a pain to ride. There were zillions of them buzzing around town on short rides though...!!! :lol: :lol; :lol:

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1328708277' post='1531412']

Was this on the trail of the Lonesome Pine?
[/quote]

I couldn't get that bloody song out of my head when I was there!

Luckily the bike had an onboard iPod input so I could play other music once I was on the road :)

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1328659805' post='1530955']

[color=#222222]I suppose that by a proper biker I mean someone who has always ridden bikes - from their teens / 20s to their 40s / 50s or whatever[/color]

[color=#222222]No offence meant, but as someone who has never had a bike I am merely repeating the prejudices of many of my friends who have always been bikers![/color]

[color=#222222]I would agree with your statement about old Fenders being similar to a Harley compared to a Fodera / Ducati[/color]

[color=#222222]From my point of view, the best bass I have ever played was a Fodera – however I would have to have a lot of spare cash before I would consider buying one as you can get a bass that comes awful close if you can spend £1k to £2k![/color]
[/quote]

Funnily enough I think there's even more snobbishness in the biker community than amongst musicians.

Ducati guys look down on anything Japanese, the Japanese bikers think Ducatis are over-rated and slow, BMW owners think they are superior to everyone whilst everyone thinks Harley riders can't ride more than 10 miles and just ride around town to show off - meanwhile the self same Harley riders laugh at all the 'crotch-rockets'!

I think it's all a bit sad really and that all bikers should have a bit more respect for each other.

I often delight in turning up at a Harley meet on a Ducati, Aprillia or Suzuki GSXR and watching people I know as their faces change when I get off the bike and take my helmet off :)

In terms of the late arrival to biking stuff - I think it's just brilliant when a 40+ person discovers the fun of biking. Some of them can be dangerous at first as they pass their test and jump on 200mph Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki etc. but I love the new found enthusiasm they have :)

Bilbo - no tattoos here, however I know a lot of bikers with a series of tats and piercings, one of them is known as 'helmet-bolt', I'll leave you to work out why. . .