Why become a member? ×

Is a Warwick thumb..........

roger

I've recently picked up a bass again after years and bought a Streamer Standard German from a fellow bass chatter, well I'm enjoying playing It so much I was thinking of trading up for a thumb, what I wanted to know is: is a thumb that much better? Bearing mind my bass only see's home use so electrics aren't really an issue, I've read a lot about the body wood of my streamer which I agree witlh (feels like balsa wood) but the neck is excellent build quality and feel, BTW I was also thinking of a Stingray! Always loved the look and sound of stingrays, always loved jazz/funk 80's blah blah blah
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Ta
What could I expect to have to add to get one of these basses? (my streamer is great condition single pick up model)

I wouldn't say a thumb was better than a streamer but different. I would recommend you try before you buy.
Stingrays are awesome all round basses. You cant go wrong with a stingray imho. Once again, you have to try one out if possible.

I sold my last Thumb, bolt on, for £850.

I used to have a Thumb BO 5, and whilst there's no doubt that they epitomise "the" Warwick sound, the feel of them can be a bit of a marmite thing. The trouble I found is that because the body is soooo small, first fret feels an absolute mile away. Although I really, really wanted to love it, I sold it in the end because it just felt like too much hard work to play, especially on a long gig. One of the only deals I regret doing; I part-exed it at Mansons for £600!!!

I think the streamer is a much more ergonomic bass really, but each to their own.

It did sound killer though........ :(

[quote name='roger' timestamp='1328432463' post='1526707']
I've recently picked up a bass again after years and bought a Streamer Standard German from a fellow bass chatter, well I'm enjoying playing It so much I was thinking of trading up for a thumb, what I wanted to know is: is a thumb that much better? Bearing mind my bass only see's home use so electrics aren't really an issue, I've read a lot about the body wood of my streamer which I agree witlh (feels like balsa wood) but the neck is excellent build quality and feel, BTW I was also thinking of a Stingray! Always loved the look and sound of stingrays, always loved jazz/funk 80's blah blah blah
Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Ta
What could I expect to have to add to get one of these basses? (my streamer is great condition single pick up model)
[/quote]
There is potentially a huge difference between your Streamer Standard and a Thumb bass (the greater difference being if you go for the NT Thumb) and it isn't just the difference in price (possibly ££400-700+ difference in values), they sound like completely different beasts. If you have the money to go for a Thumb as a house bass then great but tbh if you like the Streamer and it is a house bass I'd stay where you are. ;)

There will be a big difference. Thumbs play different to Streamer, especially the Streamer standard of which it will feel noticeably more 'high end'. They also sound very different and it is quite true that there is nothing else that really sounds like a Thumb, not even the Ovangkol bodied Dolphins! Really, I think you're just going to have to try one and see what you think. I love them, have had one in the past and I would have another.

Can't disagree with any of the above.

I used to have a 90s Thumb 5NT which was a beautiful bass, but because of the small body shape and the long neck, it did feel slightly neck heavy and not one for people with short arms.

I also used to own a 4 string Streamer Stage 1. The balance of it was definitely better, and it would've been good to have been able to do a closer comparison with the Thumb had it been a 5 string.

The sound of the Thumb is definitely [b]the[/b] Warwick sound, but the Streamer was a far more versatile bass due to the P/J pickup configuration.

As everyone has said above, I would spend time trying out a few different models for yourself before committing to buying one that you end up not being particularly happy with.

If I was going to buy one now, [b]I[/b] personally would buy a 5 string Streamer.....as it's more suitable for what I would use it for. [b]BUT[/b] if I had the cash and it was available, I'd buy my old Thumb back at a second's notice.

5strings!! What you mean they make 5 string basses now? Only kidding, when I last played bass around 20+ yrs ago I can't even remember seeing one! I had a Jaydee roadie I bought from some shop ' up that London' for 300 quid! So nice to get a bass again, all be it 4 strings, wouldn't know where to start with 5

Thumbs are really nice basses, especially the older NT models, and can often be picked up second-hand for £7-800 for some bizarre reason.

Whether it's considerably better than your current Streamer I couldn't say - I haven't tried any Streamer Standards. It wouldn't surprise me if your bass is really nice though, I had a bolt-on Corvette years ago that was as good as anything I've played.

[shameless plug]
I have a Thumb BO-5 that i'm selling, PM me for details if you're interested.
[/shameless plug]

The thumbs have a sound of their own, like someone said it's the "Warwick Sound" but someone also mentioned that they feel a bit strange due to its format. I played a few times with mine and it is a bass that plays very well with low and fast action, after a couple of minutes you get used to the different body contour. The sound is very good (dare i say huge) but is very especific and i can't get along with it, i perfer the versatility of my TRB because the sound is not so self imposing in the mix! I find that after some time playing with it i get tired of that sond but if i try to EQ something diferent it still retains that core tone that i can't cope with. W's are not for me...

Cheers