Why become a member? ×

Rehearsal Studio Frustrations

funkyspuke

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1328025178' post='1520479']
You wouldn't build a business model around the 3 string type. So would you discriminate against them and turn them away if they have a nailed on bridge and a gaffa taped strap? Or would you wait until the were a bit rough bust your fancy gear before saying they aren't allowed back?
[/quote]

gaffa taped strap ... that made me giggle :D

cost for potential damage to equipment has been built into my business model in the form of 'weekly repair and maintenance costs'. So, no one would be turned away initially purely based upon how they looked .. but trouble causers and people who neglect equipment would either be given a firm finger wagging or ban.

It helps build loyalty doesn't it?

I still remember him saying: "Sorry, we've had to change the cymbals. The guy from Mindbleed keeps splitting them." You don't need to even ask what music a band called Mindbleed would play, do you? And yes, the volume knobs were all turned up to the max every time we followed them into the room.

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1328025372' post='1520488']
The one in this place used to check amp/pa settings as soon as he walked through the door. He took the time to talk to the band and find out what they wanted and then help tweak settings if necessary.
[/quote]

seems like a sensible / good idea to me. also helps you engage with the musicians and understand more about them and their music!

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1328025604' post='1520495']
It helps build loyalty doesn't it?

I still remember him saying: "Sorry, we've had to change the cymbals. The guy from Mindbleed keeps splitting them." You don't need to even ask what music a band called Mindbleed would play, do you? And yes, the volume knobs were all turned up to the max every time we followed them into the room.
[/quote]

Mindbleed ... haha! amazeballs!

I think that if you have the cash to invest,offering the PV combos etc as part of the fixed rate is cool, but being able to offer the markbass,TE or ampeg to the more discerning customers for a little extra might help cover all the levels of customer.
In my experience, any band that works hard in a rehearsal as opposed to youngsters who want to make some noise,usually prefer to use their own gear.
Intervals between bands are essential for basic turnover and room maintenance.Just make sure the band knows when their time is up. I used to knock on the door till they heard and tell them they were done.
I would say no to food, bit messy, but beer, yes!
You can make a decent mark up on beer and cola etc, helps pay the bills.
Used to be much worse when people smoked indoors. No matter how many times you asked them to use the ash trays, the fags ended up on the carpet.
<_<

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1328026589' post='1520517']
I think that if you have the cash to invest,offering the PV combos etc as part of the fixed rate is cool, but being able to offer the markbass,TE or ampeg to the more discerning customers for a little extra might help cover all the levels of customer.
In my experience, any band that works hard in a rehearsal as opposed to youngsters who want to make some noise,usually prefer to use their own gear.
Intervals between bands are essential for basic turnover and room maintenance.Just make sure the band knows when their time is up. I used to knock on the door till they heard and tell them they were done.
I would say no to food, bit messy, but beer, yes!
You can make a decent mark up on beer and cola etc, helps pay the bills.
Used to be much worse when people smoked indoors. No matter how many times you asked them to use the ash trays, the fags ended up on the carpet.
<_<
[/quote]

good advice and points made :)

beer for the win!

We use Berkley Studios in Glasgow at under £10/hr. Not sure if that's a regular usage rate or same across the board. ?
They have Ampeg 8x10 cabs and either Ashdown 500 heads or more recently an Aguilar 500 has appeared. They have also tried the EBS heads.
Marshall amps for guitar and Roland or Peavey for kys.
Full desk and PA incl monitoring system which is pretty good quality. It also has a facility with overhead mics and CD recorder built in.
Place is very clean and tidy and staff are also very friendly and helpful. They are busy and 2wks notice for weekend rooms is kinda required.

I believe Beyonce and maybe Snow Patrol i think have used last year. It has a good rep amongst professional bands and therefore price seems pretty good for what you are getting.
Although gear is pretty good i tend to use my own which is very portable.

Dave

We used to use a studio in Balham that had shockingly poor equipment. Dodgy wiring meant amps would frquently cut-out and the people running the place would just suggest giving it a bit of a wiggle. One time we spent about an hour trying to find a guitar amp that worked at all. Another time, the girl who was looking after the place decided she needed to pop to the shops so locked everyone in this place with the fire hazzard of dodgy wiring. When she returned we gave her sh*t and never went back.

We have now found a really cool place in Camberwell with excellent equipment and decent people who know how to respect and look after stuff.

Shop around.

Edited by paul torch

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1328085112' post='1521412']
We used to use a studio in Balham that had shockingly poor equipment. Dodgy wiring meant amps would frquently cut-out and the people running the place would just suggest giving it a bit of a wiggle. One time we spent about an hour trying to find a guitar amp that worked at all. Another time, the girl who was looking after the place decided she needed to pop to the shops so locked everyone in this place with the fire hazzard of dodgy wiring. When she returned we gave her sh*t and never went back.

We have now found a really cool place in Camberwell with excellent equipment and decent people who know how to respect and look after stuff.

Shop around.
[/quote]

I feel annoyed just reading about that studio :angry:

there are studios popping up all the time and the majority of them just don't seem to be getting it right ... even from the outset. I've just been contacted by a new studio in Leeds wanting my advice after posting a similar topic on the Leeds Music Scene. They want me to advise them on the equipment that they should be using :) it's good to hear that some studios want to get it right.

Is there anything that you would wish your studio offered or did?

I remember, quite a few years ago, when my first band used Rich Bich (Bitch?) studios in Brum. We had Pop Will Eat Itself in the room next to us rehearsing for a tour and there were a couple of big name metal bands using a couple of the larger rooms above us.
We couldn't really hear ourselves very well mind.

We used one around the Wigan area when i was starting a new band, called Urban Sound IIRC. The combo i was supplied with (For an extra fiver) was a Laney1x15 thing, it was loud enough, but only because the supplied PA was a bag of sh*te that couldn't cope with a band. The manager was sat in his office smoking Weed, and we probably could've snuck out without paying if we really wanted to.

Safe to say i wont be going anywhere near that place again.

Liam

[quote name='funkyspuke' timestamp='1328086884' post='1521438']
Is there anything that you would wish your studio offered or did?
[/quote]

If you're looking to set up a studio my thoughts are:

Be on site all the time or get someone you trust, who knows about gear and pay them well to be there. I think many owners just think they'll hire a unit, sound proof it, fill it with gear and pay someone a few quid to take bookings.

An online diary system so you can see what rooms are free before you phone up to book. It's a nightmare trying to book when the girl at the desk is trying to be helpful but you can't see what she can see.

Check out [url="http://www.graphicnature.co.uk/"]http://www.graphicnature.co.uk/[/url] Chris is an all round nice guy and has really put some time and energy into getting it right.

I think if you price rooms appropriately you will weed out the Chav element. Have a couple of bare basic rooms with el cheapo gear and price it a lot differently to rooms with high end gear in it.

Don't allow eating or drinking in the rooms, other than water.

Basic consumables available for sale, strings, sticks, leads, snare heads. Have a few spare leads and mark them up for people to borrow.

Be available on the mobile phone at all times and get back as soon as you hear a message. If you are planning to run the studio and do recording sessions and not available to take calls you need to have someone who has access to the diary and can take the calls for you.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1328090233' post='1521496']
If you're looking to set up a studio my thoughts are:

Be on site all the time or get someone you trust, who knows about gear and pay them well to be there. I think many owners just think they'll hire a unit, sound proof it, fill it with gear and pay someone a few quid to take bookings.

An online diary system so you can see what rooms are free before you phone up to book. It's a nightmare trying to book when the girl at the desk is trying to be helpful but you can't see what she can see.

Check out [url="http://www.graphicnature.co.uk/"]http://www.graphicnature.co.uk/[/url] Chris is an all round nice guy and has really put some time and energy into getting it right.

I think if you price rooms appropriately you will weed out the Chav element. Have a couple of bare basic rooms with el cheapo gear and price it a lot differently to rooms with high end gear in it.

Don't allow eating or drinking in the rooms, other than water.

Basic consumables available for sale, strings, sticks, leads, snare heads. Have a few spare leads and mark them up for people to borrow.

Be available on the mobile phone at all times and get back as soon as you hear a message. If you are planning to run the studio and do recording sessions and not available to take calls you need to have someone who has access to the diary and can take the calls for you.
[/quote]

hey, thanks for the great advice :) it's amazing how much customer service can have an influence on peoples perception!

noted and cemented! thanks

I wonder how many people play in a band and think that it would be easy to rent some space that they can use for rehearsals and hire out when they're not using it. Musicians don't usually make good businessmen, that's why there are so many agents around.

Running a studio is going to be like any other business and there will be a ton of overheads. A friend of mine tried it and fell at the first hurdle when the council came round and pointed out that his lease wouldn't allow him to do what he wanted to do. He was stuck with a unit that he couldn't use and couldn't sub let. An expensive mistake.

Get a solicitor to look over anything like that.

I'm not sure that being in a band, having a full time day job and running a studio in the evening is something that is easy to pull off.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1328127472' post='1522412']
I wonder how many people play in a band and think that it would be easy to rent some space that they can use for rehearsals and hire out when they're not using it. Musicians don't usually make good businessmen, that's why there are so many agents around.

Running a studio is going to be like any other business and there will be a ton of overheads. A friend of mine tried it and fell at the first hurdle when the council came round and pointed out that his lease wouldn't allow him to do what he wanted to do. He was stuck with a unit that he couldn't use and couldn't sub let. An expensive mistake.

Get a solicitor to look over anything like that.

I'm not sure that being in a band, having a full time day job and running a studio in the evening is something that is easy to pull off.
[/quote]

all bases will be covered ... I've done a lot of research and found out that many new studios are open without any form of market research or even a business plan. this is what we are going to be doing ... we are also seeking investment and grants, which are out there under particular circumstances.

the research will be extensive, the ideas involves more than just a rehearsal & recording studio ... but if the research suggests that it won't work, we won't do it.

I can say that the advice, feedback and replies on here have been extremely valuable and greatly appreciated :) you will all be welcome to a visit and free breakfast and jam session. we might even hold bass chat bass days at this place :)