Why become a member? ×

Tony Franklin tells it how it is - you have to see this

redstriper

Personally, not much wrong with TF fretless playing in my eyes. Possibly a bit cliche but then not many fretted bass players are original so I would say they are cliche also. This is very evident at shows like NAMM etc where some named bass player will get up up and either play a slap fest or a slow jazz groove contraining lots of runs and scales. So I think to single out TF playing as cliche is possibly a little unfair.

What does annoy me a bit about him is his constant over emphasising of everything, for example, I'm going to REALLY groove, or I'm REALLY going to lay down some GREAT line etc. It was all just a bit me me me and how great its going to be.

Still, his Fender bass is awsome and I want :)

Although the Roddy Piper stuff in the JB vid is a joke, the exercise for playing through the changes across the neck without restarting on the root is great. If you don't already have that skill set, shedding just that exercise is worth the rest of the video. I quite enjoyed the humour in the Tony Franklin vid - maybe because Americans are easily impressed by anyone with a British accent. :rolleyes:

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' timestamp='1328038215' post='1520779']
.....ahem... its an English accent. There's no such thing as a "British" accent. ;)
[/quote]

We are easily impressed by those too.

Actually, I wavered on which term to choose and clearly guessed incorrectly. Shows what I don't know. :)

I am sure if several of us got our heads (and hands) together, we could come up with a far more informative and funnier presentation.

for instance:

[i]"I say I say I say! I wouldn't say my bass was old, but the woodworm from Noah's Ark rejected it"[/i]

then some bits about fretless bass, then some silly outfits and wry comments, followed by inane facial gymnastics, finished off by
a bass performance with lots of fretless wobbly wobbly notes.
Oh, and a gonk hairstyle for good measure.

Any partakers?