Why become a member? ×

Falling in love with the riff

norvegicusbass

After a brief spell of being a greedy songbird and playing too many notes I am beginning to settle down and find the beauty in simplicity and especially the riff. To me bass playing has two distinct methodologies, supporting the song in a roundabout way with clever little passages and lots of variation ( think JJ ) and the good old riff. I fell into the trap when I first picked up a bass of thinking that playing fast and furious with loads of notes showed I was a good player. I can put this sentiment down to my young age but when I rediscovered an interest in playing after a generation long hiatus I curiously still had this idea that fast furious many noted playing demonstrated a greater ability than just being a team player and playing to suit the song. However listening to a few tunes on good old Youtube has disavowed me of this notion and I am beginning to fall in love with the riff. The riff in Move On Up by Curtis Mayfield is my current fave and it is played without much variation all through the song. Does anyone know of anymore funky style riffs that are pretty much played throughout the whole song?

took me a while to really relax my playing.. i too fell into the trap of playing too many fills when i was younger.. i think with experience and confidence, playing a groove with a fill here and there becomes a more fullfilling experience, as you can take your time.... its all about controlling your expression

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1327775714' post='1516660']
took me a while to really relax my playing.. i too fell into the trap of playing too many fills when i was younger.. i think with experience and confidence, playing a groove with a fill here and there becomes a more fullfilling experience, as you can take your time.... its all about controlling your expression
[/quote] Agree 100%

Pump it Up, by Elvis Costello, with Bruce Thomas is a great one for this. On the chorus, there are different fills that he plays, none of which are complicated, but the chorus always sounds the same. The rest of the time, whether it the intro or verse, or upper verse (F#, B, E) is all the same riff.

http://youtu.be/tpprOGsLWUo

Another great one is perhaps the simplest of all Everyday People by Sly And The Family Stone. Larry Graham playing the same note at the same tempo throughout the song yet played with such a groove it becomes the main feature of the song ( biased? ). Incidentally Larry Graham is perhaps the only slap player I can get away with if only because he never seems to mistake his bass for another instrument and it always sounds bassy and not like a drum solo on some empty tin cans.