Why become a member? ×

Music Production and Sound Engineering

I would check out SSR. My mate is doing a course with them up here at their centre in Manchester and speaks rather highly of them. Their studios look phenomenal, brilliant places to learn in.

[url="http://www.s-s-r.com/"]http://www.s-s-r.com/[/url]

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

I suppose it depends what you actually WANT to do?

At the time when I went to uni to do Audio and Music Tech Anglia Ruskin (cambridge) was apparently one of the best for it, with the added perk of getting a BSc instead of a BA. Big difference was it was VERY heavily based in science (acoustics, psycho-acoustics, Analog and Digital electronics, digital signal processing etc...) as well as the usual "record and mix music".

I will honestly tell you that I don't feel I learned a great deal about how to record or mix music. It may not be the same case for you but it is quite possible and worth bearing in mind with the extortionate rates uni's are charging at the moment. Also a degree stands for nothing in the sound engineer world, it's all about experience so get out there and do it really.

Best of luck and if you have any more questions feel free to ask here or via PM

Rik

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1327494387' post='1512171']
Also a degree stands for nothing in the sound engineer world, it's all about experience so get out there and do it really.
[/quote]

Thats why i recommended SSR. My mate up here for his training keeps getting his mates bands in when he's doing studio modules and working with them as a bit of a practice, and is doing the same at the moment in their venue as he's on a live sound module.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1327494532' post='1512179']
Thats why i recommended SSR. My mate up here for his training keeps getting his mates bands in when he's doing studio modules and working with them as a bit of a practice, and is doing the same at the moment in their venue as he's on a live sound module.

Liam
[/quote]

Yeah, of course it's worth whatever you put in (your post wasn't present at time of typing)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1327494387' post='1512171']
I suppose it depends what you actually WANT to do?

At the time when I went to uni to do Audio and Music Tech Anglia Ruskin (cambridge) was apparently one of the best for it, with the added perk of getting a BSc instead of a BA. Big difference was it was VERY heavily based in science (acoustics, psycho-acoustics, Analog and Digital electronics, digital signal processing etc...) as well as the usual "record and mix music".

I will honestly tell you that I don't feel I learned a great deal about how to record or mix music. It may not be the same case for you but it is quite possible and worth bearing in mind with the extortionate rates uni's are charging at the moment. Also a degree stands for nothing in the sound engineer world, it's all about experience so get out there and do it really.

Best of luck and if you have any more questions feel free to ask here or via PM

Rik
[/quote]

You mean a BSc was more science based than a BA? Well I never! Lol jk but I agree. I don't think you really [i]need [/i]to do a degree to get a job as a sound engineer. I wouldn't worry about tuition fees though; you're very unlikely to be earning more than £21k a year from any job as a sound engineer. It will more likely be something like 12-13. That's one of the things that put me off becoming one tbh. I think if I had gone down that road though I personally would have done a music tech course at 6th form or college and then tried getting onto the jobs ladder from there, starting out at clubs and such.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1327577858' post='1513534']
You mean a BSc was more science based than a BA? Well I never! Lol jk but I agree. I don't think you really [i]need [/i]to do a degree to get a job as a sound engineer. I wouldn't worry about tuition fees though; you're very unlikely to be earning more than £21k a year from any job as a sound engineer. It will more likely be something like 12-13. That's one of the things that put me off becoming one tbh. I think if I had gone down that road though I personally would have done a music tech course at 6th form or college and then tried getting onto the jobs ladder from there, starting out at clubs and such.
[/quote]

Yeah the money put me off too! I'm now a code monkey although I plan to combine the two skills in the future.

And you say "well I never" but the amount of people who didn't realise this really reflected in the pass rates. Out of the 120 to start my course I was 1 of 9 to graduate..

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1327579821' post='1513578']
Yeah the money put me off too! I'm now a code monkey although I plan to combine the two skills in the future.
[/quote]

Cool stuff. I'm probably going to keep recording and producing my own songs as a hobby. Maybe one day I will get "discovered" and become really rich and famous but I'm not holding my breath :lol:

[quote]
And you say "well I never" but the amount of people who didn't realise this really reflected in the pass rates. Out of the 120 to start my course I was 1 of 9 to graduate..
[/quote]

Yeah, not surprised really. The problem with a lot of unis (including mine) is they're more bothered about getting butts on seats rather than people assesing whether they are making the right decision and what exactly the course involves. A lot of people generally fail the first year of engineering degrees at our "university" (if you can call it that lol) because they don't realise how much maths and science there is in an engineering degree. I think they just expected to be fixing up cars all year or something. In fact our year did a lot better than they were expecting last year, so now they've made the second year harder to try and get rid of a few more of us! :blink: Maybe they should have thought of that before they decided to accept way more students then they were supposed to. I guess they'll have to forget about the improvements they made to teaching standards last year :rolleyes: . I'm not complaining though, I like actually having challenging work.

Edited by EdwardHimself

The Tonmeister course at the University of Surrey is probably the best in the country, although the jobs market at which it is aimed (big studios, places like the BBC) seems to be shrinking faster than a fast thing. It's a proper engineering course, so you'll need good A levels in Maths, Physics and Music Tech plus a Grade 8 standard on your main instrument.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1327656490' post='1514736']
The Tonmeister course at the University of Surrey is probably the best in the country, although the jobs market at which it is aimed (big studios, places like the BBC) seems to be shrinking faster than a fast thing. It's a proper engineering course, so you'll need good A levels in Maths, Physics and Music Tech plus a Grade 8 standard on your main instrument.
[/quote]

A BEng?

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1327656490' post='1514736']
[/quote]

Struggling to see why you need to be able to play and instrument let alone to a grade 8 standard for a Engineering course.

Some of the best engineers i've worked with don't play a note, they're passionate about sound & how to make it sound great, not how to play the stuff.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1327664498' post='1514931']
Struggling to see why you need to be able to play and instrument let alone to a grade 8 standard for a Engineering course.

Some of the best engineers i've worked with don't play a note, they're passionate about sound & how to make it sound great, not how to play the stuff.
[/quote]

It sounds like a course made up of mixed modules, all very odd indeed

[/quote]

This. I for one am a lot better at producing a recording than playing anyway lol. Completely different set of skills.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[/quote]
Because it's not just a strictly sound engineering course.

No doubt they've got their own ideas about the importance of combining these skills, but it seems to be working for them. It's been the daddy of engineering courses at least since the seventies when I first heard about it.