Why become a member? ×

Studio Build

Wolverinebass

There will most certainly be air conditioning (both heating and cooling) as of course in the summer it'll be brutally warm.

I know what you mean about the foundations. The blokes who did mine had to cut down a few trees and they had to burn them to stop them freezing to death. At least that's what they said to me. All the instruments will be staying indoors, but my rig will be going out along with a few other things. Things are going to slow down a bit this week, but hopefully the roof will be on and the place will be watertight by the end of the week.

As a 2 cents, from using an already present *outside office* at my house and turning it into a Studio with 2 rooms.

Resilient bars are good, even if just for decoupling. used in roof and walls to great effect.

Have you thought of floating the floor inside?

I have an outer wall with 2 inches of rockwool, resilient bars,2 layers of acoustic plasterboard with acoustic membrane between them, followed by a 2 inch + air gap all the way round (no parallel walls) floating inner room with acoustic plasterboard on outside, 2 inch's of rockwool followed by resilient bars, and another sandwich of acoustic plasterboard and membrane and found the results quite effective and did it all on budget of around £2800 or so.

[quote name='rk7' timestamp='1327525527' post='1513001']

Are you having a mini-bar at all?

[/quote]

Sadly not. I don't drink anymore.

[quote name='Houtoe' timestamp='1327583185' post='1513689']

Resilient bars are good, even if just for decoupling. used in roof and walls to great effect.

Have you thought of floating the floor inside?

I have an outer wall with 2 inches of rockwool, resilient bars,2 layers of acoustic plasterboard with acoustic membrane between them, followed by a 2 inch + air gap all the way round (no parallel walls) floating inner room with acoustic plasterboard on outside, 2 inch's of rockwool followed by resilient bars, and another sandwich of acoustic plasterboard and membrane and found the results quite effective and did it all on budget of around £2800 or so.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice mate. I just wondered if they made that much difference. As well as doing the non-parallel walls, a mate has rather kindly donated me some sound treatment tiles (on premise that his band can record at my house every so often). Should come in handy.

Things have slowed down insanely this week, just as I figured when I saw the weather forecast. Stop raining!!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1327589792' post='1513853']
How selfish of you! We all know alcohol makes you play better ;)
[/quote]

If that were true, I'd be the best bass player in the history of the universe. Sadly, not though. It certainly made me play "differently" if that's a reasonable euphemism to use.

Anyways, after about 4 days of nothing due it almost constantly raining, the guys came round and put the roof on and torched it in a day. Get in!!

[attachment=98837:IMAG0071.jpg]

At the moment, the guys are fitting the outside door and then it'll be trying to dry out the inside with a dehumidifier for a day or so. Hopefully after that, we can get all the stud work in. It's taking it's time really thanks to the weather.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1328088012' post='1521460']
I have to admit I'm rather jealous. Coming together nicely :)
[/quote]

There is nothing to be jealous of my dear boy. I'm more envious of folk that are actually in a band as I just miss playing live. After some of the experiences I've had over the last 2 years, I almost jacked it all in. People just being moronic timewasters. In fact, I actually haven't even went for a jam since June last year because of it. To make matters worse, I think I only went for a jam 5 times last year. My guitarist mate was skint all the time and seemingly trying to get a side project going was impossible just as much as it was impossible to find folk who were either on the same level or join a band where at least one or more member wasn't a complete control freak idiot. It always appeared to be the most talentless member of the band as well that was that way inclined to "No, that's not how you do it, you play bass like this..." Over a period of time, the inactivity has eaten me away more than the dealing with morons and I need to do stuff on a regular basis.

So, this reasonable sized building is me attempting to get round this problem.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1328090265' post='1521498']
There is nothing to be jealous of my dear boy. I'm more envious of folk that are actually in a band as I just miss playing live. After some of the experiences I've had over the last 2 years, I almost jacked it all in. People just being moronic timewasters. In fact, I actually haven't even went for a jam since June last year because of it. To make matters worse, I think I only went for a jam 5 times last year. My guitarist mate was skint all the time and seemingly trying to get a side project going was impossible just as much as it was impossible to find folk who were either on the same level or join a band where at least one or more member wasn't a complete control freak idiot. It always appeared to be the most talentless member of the band as well that was that way inclined to "No, that's not how you do it, you play bass like this..." Over a period of time, the inactivity has eaten me away more than the dealing with morons and I need to do stuff on a regular basis.

So, this reasonable sized building is me attempting to get round this problem.
[/quote]

I'll swap you my drummer for that building then :P never argues, never late, perfect time and can play anything you ask him to although you have to write it down for him...

Ok I'll fess up, it's my guitarists laptop :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well, finally after seemingly months of head/brick wall interfaces, work has resumed. There was much, much more water in the room than I'd thought due to that week of rain before the roof went on. I had to run a dehumidifier for a whole week and it took out more than 200 litres of water. It was just mental. Basically due to the cold snap I held off getting it until the weather warmed a bit. However, at present, the guys are putting in the studwork. Hopefully that'll be done in the next few days then all the cables can get run for the electrics at the beginning of next week before the insulation and plasterboard gets booted in.

Will post some photos soon.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1330617992' post='1560496']
Are you sure that you are not building a swimming pool?
[/quote]

Ha!! I was wondering myself. It was just mental. I couldn't believe how wet it was when I set it up. Even after all the frost and stuff. All 4 of the walls were just soaked as was the concrete base. I thought it'd never dry out at one point and I'd have to leave it until April. Thankfully, it's all done now. I would imagine that it'd be usable in about 3 weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyways we crack on. Had the fun of getting a metric tonne of acoustic plasterboard and rockwool delivered on Friday. After paying one of the neighbours 20 quid to give me a hand we moved it all round the back. Have torn my hands up something rotten so no playing for a week or so.

However, now for a quick photo.

[attachment=102402:IMAG0127.jpg]

Most of the walls and ceiling are now stuffed with either RW3 for the ceilings or RWA45 for the walls. It's not the best photo and it doesn't show that the walls are non-parallel either, but you get the general idea. I would imagine by the end of the week the plasterboard would be up. Will keep you all posted.

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1331646032' post='1576454']
Most of the walls and ceiling are now stuffed with either RW3 for the ceilings or RWA45 for the walls.
[/quote]

Is the number just a difference in the thickness? Why different between the two? :)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1331646647' post='1576471']
Is the number just a difference in the thickness? Why different between the two? :)
[/quote]

It's very simple. The celing in comparison to the walls is like paper. So therefore I used RW3 in there as it's heavier and denser than what I'm using for the walls.

Basically 100mm thick and it's 60kg/m3. See below.

[url="http://buildingmaterials.co.uk/Rockwool-Insulation/Rockwool-RW3/p~402~048_101_002-Rockwool-RW3-Acoustic-Slab-60kg_m3-1200-x-600-x-100mm-4-or-2.88m.html"]http://buildingmaterials.co.uk/Rockwool-Insulation/Rockwool-RW3/p~402~048_101_002-Rockwool-RW3-Acoustic-Slab-60kg_m3-1200-x-600-x-100mm-4-or-2.88m.html[/url]

The walls are already double skinned. So, they're already about 8 inches thick anyway. Hence, they will already have some form of sound insulation just because of that. So I used this stuff. 75mm thick and 45kg/m3.

[url="http://buildingmaterials.co.uk/Rockwool-Insulation/Rockwool-RWA45/p~412~048_105_004-Rockwool-RWA45-Acoustic-Slab-45kg_m3-1200-x-600-x-75mm-6-or-4.32m.html"]http://buildingmaterials.co.uk/Rockwool-Insulation/Rockwool-RWA45/p~412~048_105_004-Rockwool-RWA45-Acoustic-Slab-45kg_m3-1200-x-600-x-75mm-6-or-4.32m.html[/url]

Whatever is left over from all this, I'm going to use for bass traps.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1331647314' post='1576487']
Fair enough :)

Would you like BC members to start saving their egg boxes for you? ;)
[/quote]

Ha!! If members of BC that are bricklayers had offered to help me out it might have saved me a bit!! However, a mate of mine is giving me a whole load of acoustic tiles for nothing. Naturally this is on the proviso that his band can record their new ep round at my house and he's going to help me out with my own stuff. Until I know how the room sounds, I'm going to leave off treating it for a few weeks after it's done.

However, if some members of BC want to pop round when it's all done for a visit or to do a quick bit of recording - I accept cash!! ;)

Nice effort so far!

Treating the room is where the fun really starts. I wouldnt put too much store in wee acoustic tiles though, you need decent absorbers and basstraps instead, otherwise you tend to just take a little bit of flutter echo off the top and leave a great big whallowing blowwwwwwwwhhh of bass and lower mid range to make it very hard to hear what is going on. Which leads people to turn up REAL LOUD to make themselves heard (which just tires everyones ears out even more).

And I for one would love to see it when its done!

Edited by 51m0n