Why become a member? ×

Yellowjackets - Jimmy Haslip

steantval

• 1 year later...

When the yellowjackets came to ireland in 2011 Jimmy Haslip used my bass gear for the concert (swr 550x and a 4x10 goliath), the reason for this was a friend of mine was an organiser for the gig so i actually ended up being his bass tech for the day and got to spend the full day with him and went to a restaurant for dinner with all the band. He is such a nice man and was so easy to talk to. He told me all about his days studying with jaco and i got the full life story straight from the man himself. Very inspiring player and person.

I don't like Haslip. He's the only reason I can't listen to Holdsworth nowadays witch is really an annoying thing to me. I find his ideas to be incoherent and boring.... I really enjoy Yellowjackets first record a lot but I can't listen to the guy now, easily one of the most overrated fusion bassists. Just an opinion.

Edited by Perennial

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1327001730' post='1505113']
First came across Jimmy Haslip on late 70's album Brother to Brother by Gino Vannelli. [/quote]
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVm6hL0cynA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVm6hL0cynA[/url]

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1360658589' post='1973985']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVm6hL0cynA[/media]
[/quote]
I posted this same link last week in the 'What Are You listening To Now' thread. Bought this when it came out all those years ago and still love it.

Edited by BetaFunk

Rather like this track:-

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETBhPOVbbzE&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Its rather understated in the main, which is kinda cool. He does get to give it the beans of course, but I like the main groove and idea...

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1360662659' post='1974044']
Rather like this track:-

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETBhPOVbbzE&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Its rather understated in the main, which is kinda cool. He does get to give it the beans of course, but I like the main groove and idea...
[/quote]

Perfect example of what I stated before. Lots of faces but not a single memorable idea during the solo. Highly overrated.

[quote name='Perennial' timestamp='1360663445' post='1974057']
Perfect example of what I stated before. Lots of faces but not a single memorable idea during the solo. Highly overrated.
[/quote]
I'm afraid the entire piece is utterly stultifying for me. Every band like this seems to sound the same. What do they put these guys on? Horse tranquilisers? Duddle-uh - duddlediddleduddlediddle duddle-uh diddlydi - diddlydi di di diddly di-do dah dumb. WHY DO THEY ALL SOUND THE f***ing SAME! Because they spend all day transcribing Coltrane solos?

And although I love the Haslip / Holdsworth / Pasqua / Wackerman outfit, I have to say Jimmy's solo on this piece is bland, uninspired, compositionally very weak and totally boring to listen to.

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1360672046' post='1974236']
Not sure you guys have checked out Jimmy with Holdsworth but he played great with this band, a lot more raw and really going for it... whole gig here:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWPLaY9SyOY[/media]
[/quote]

I got the album when it came out, it's brilliant.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1360670013' post='1974181']
I'm afraid the entire piece is utterly stultifying for me. Every band like this seems to sound the same. What do they put these guys on? Horse tranquilisers? Duddle-uh - duddlediddleduddlediddle duddle-uh diddlydi - diddlydi di di diddly di-do dah dumb. WHY DO THEY ALL SOUND THE f***ing SAME! Because they spend all day transcribing Coltrane solos?

And although I love the Haslip / Holdsworth / Pasqua / Wackerman outfit, I have to say Jimmy's solo on this piece is bland, uninspired, compositionally very weak and totally boring to listen to.
[/quote]

Jimmy Haslip and a lot of other players who unquestionably have fantastic ability seem to fall into this kind of smooth jazz / fusion[i] muzak [/i]by default . It's a bit of a shame , because I'm sure Jimmy Haslip and many others players in this genre would be great playing in some more unfamiliar situations and different genres of music , and I bet they would enjoy it, too . I know Jimmy has played with some mainstream pop artists in the past , and I would like to hear him in that kind of a situation again . John Patitucci is another prime example . His solo albums for the most part leave me cold ( more than half an hour of one would probably leave me comatose , to be honest ) and for all their technical brilliance he doesn't play anything on any of them that is as effective as his bassline on Walk The Dinosaur by Was Not Was or his tasteful accompaniment on Everything But The Girl's Language Of Life album .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1360673225' post='1974262']
Jimmy Haslip and a lot of other players who unquestionably have fantastic ability seem to fall into this kind of smooth jazz / fusion[i] muzak [/i]by default . It's a bit of a shame , because I'm sure Jimmy Haslip and many others players in this genre would be great playing in some more unfamiliar situations and different genres of music , and I bet they would enjoy it, too . I know Jimmy has played with some mainstream pop artists in the past , and I would like to hear him in that kind of a situation again . John Patitucci is another prime example . His solo albums for the most part leave me cold ( more than half an hour of one would probably leave me comatose , to be honest ) and for all their technical brilliance he doesn't play anything on any of them that is as effective as his bassline on Walk The Dinosaur by Was Not Was or his tasteful accompaniment on Everything But The Girl's Language Of Life album .
[/quote]

Most of them leave me cold I'm afraid, if I hear one more 16th note triplet descending augmented scale in four note flurries I may sh*t myself.

There just doesn't seem to be any beauty or romance in what they do. Of course many will differ, but maybe they are mostly the ones who whoop and holler at the fast bits.

[/quote]

I can totally get why they play fusion. Much popular music is extremely boring for a bass player with chops. Everyone likes a challenge and fusion gets it for you plus that it can be damn cool when it's well done. The problem with Haslip is not about chops. It's all about lacking taste and I wouldn't generalize that fact being true for the whole genre. It isn't.

I could find faults in every style of music but in the end it's all about taste.

Edited by Perennial

Jimmy Haslip doesn't play anything on any of them that is as effective as his bassline on Walk The Dinosaur by Was Not Was[/quote]

Haslip played Walk the Dinosaur? I didn't know that!

How on earth does he slap with the strings the "wrong way round"? :huh: :blink: