Why become a member? ×

Best cab for a Little Mark 2 or 3

la bam

Morning all,

Ive decided that now I really have got the bass bug again (not gigged for ages until last saturday, now im chomping at the bit to gig again!) that Im going to go for a new amp and cab (prob second hand).

I absolutely love the Mark Bass stuff - always blown me away when ive seen it, no matter who has played it - so whether new or second hand im going to get a Little Mark 2 or 3 (300w at 8R, 500w at 4R).

That leaves me with a quandry over which cab to get?

Im looking approx £200 second hand. Which runs best with the LM2, a single 15 or a 4x10?

I also notice a lot of Mark Bass stuff uses a single 12, which is confusing matters more!

Ive seen some great deals on the Ashdown ABM15, several Warwick 4x10s and Hartke XL 2.5 2x10.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Mark Bass heads work really well with the Bergantino cabs but it really does depend on what sort of tone you are tying to get from your bass for the music that you play!

12" cabs are really popular at the moment as they give a nice defined bottom end but still cope with the mids and highs too - I love 'em.

As Chris b says the Aggie cabs are really nice and very portable too but to my ears when I A/B'd them again the Berg's they just sounded a bit shallow. Let us know what stuff you are playing and I am sure that we will all give you a suitable suggestion!!

[quote name='la bam' timestamp='1326504233' post='1498321']
Morning all,

Ive decided that now I really have got the bass bug again (not gigged for ages until last saturday, now im chomping at the bit to gig again!) that Im going to go for a new amp and cab (prob second hand).

I absolutely love the Mark Bass stuff - always blown me away when ive seen it, no matter who has played it - so whether new or second hand im going to get a Little Mark 2 or 3 (300w at 8R, 500w at 4R).

That leaves me with a quandry over which cab to get?

Im looking approx £200 second hand. Which runs best with the LM2, a single 15 or a 4x10?
Mark Bass heads work really well with the Bergantino cabs but it really does depend on what sort of tone you are tying to get from your bass for the music that you play!

12" cabs are really popular at the moment as they give a nice defined bottom end but still cope with the mids and highs too - I love 'em.

As Chris b says the Aggie cabs are really nice and very portable too but to my ears when I A/B'd them again the Berg's they just sounded a bit shallow. Let us know what stuff you are playing and I am sure that we will all give you a suitable suggestion!!

I also notice a lot of Mark Bass stuff uses a single 12, which is confusing matters more!

Ive seen some great deals on the Ashdown ABM15, several Warwick 4x10s and Hartke XL 2.5 2x10.

Any help greatly appreciated.
[/quote]

Edited by Gunsfreddy2003

Welcome back to bass!
You might find it possible to get a used 1x12 aguillar, or Epifani PS cab for £200 on here, but unlikely to find a bergantino.
I've used Epifani, Ampeg, Ashdown, BFM and Markbass cabs with my LMII heads.
I can honestly say that with the amount of tonal/eq flexibility the LM offers, I've found it impossible not to get a tone I like with any cab, but then again my ears aren't as sensitive as they were.

At the moment I'm enjoying an LMII with a pair of Ashdown mini cabs (4x8 and 1x15). You can pick one of those up on here for under £200, or for not much more, a pair.
Don't where you are located, but you might find a fellow BC member or two will let you try your head with a different cab or two? Certainly welcome to have a blast at castle oldslapoer.

John

Cheers for the replies so far.

Im mainly playing party stuff from 60s to 80s rock to present pop - so im just after a nice warm sound, but something that cuts through the mix.

Im a bit gutted - i had an immaculate set of Ashdown minis - 1x15 and 4x8 a couple of years ago, after my last band split up, only managed to practice with them once before having to sell them - knew i should have kept them!!

If i did get a 4x8 and a 1x15 mini could i link these together to get the 4ohm power out of the amp?

Thanks

Edited by la bam

[color=#000080]Over the years I've gradually scaled down.[/color]

[color=#000080]I now play most gigs with my LMII with one of three cab options:[/color]

[color=#000080]usually I use it with just one Hartke 2x10 cab. Tiny rig with more than enough tone and volume to rock da house. I regularly get compliments about my sound ...[/color]

[color=#000080]Occasionally I use the LMII with two identical Hartke 2x10 cabs, angle the cabs for superior spread with lower impedance even more volume on tap..[/color]

[color=#000080]Option three is the LMII with a 1x15 and a 2x10 - this rig ticks all the boxes with power and clarity and will shake floors and loosen teeth.[/color]

[color=#000080]Oh yes option 4 - no cabs at all just the LMII DI'd into the PA.[/color]

[color=#000080]Still don't think I have had the volume control over 3 ...[/color]