Why become a member? ×

Storing a bass.... advice needed

Evil Undead

Following on from my thread of yesterday, I've decided to store my beautiful Warwick for a while and focus on getting used to 5 strings.

Now then. I'm not sure how to store it without causing problems or damage. I have a TKL hard case with furry type stuff in it, which I guess would be ideal. Would this protect the bass from temperature and humidity changes? And what about putting a couple of sachets of silica gel in - would that help stop damp or would it dry out the bass?

I'm keen to not cause any problems for the bass as I don't know how long it will be in storage for. Could be a month or could be years. Also, I live in a 2nd floor flat, and the case will be flat under my bed.

I know some people are going to suggest selling it, and buying another 4 string at a later date if I want to switch back, but it's not an option - too much sentiment!

Any advice appreciated :)

Hi
Hope you are well :)
Stored in a hard case will be fine - OK for years if necessary! I think a number of us will be doing the same - nothing much seems to be shifting at the moment :(
The 5 string sounds great (and I'm sure it does, if you excuse the dreaful pun)!
Andy

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1326316659' post='1495489']
Just taken my American Standard P Bass out of its case. Not used it for around 6 months (might have had a tinkle on it but definitely no gigs). Not been tuned for a long time.

Guess what?

Perfectly in tune.

One thing I love about Fender's (the one's I've owned) is how good they stay in tune.
[/quote]

Yep - I've noticed that too with my jazz. Seems to keep in tune easier than any other bass i have.

Dave

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1326312154' post='1495400']
Keep it in the case under your bed & it should be fine - no need for silica gel, slackening off the strings or anything else.
[/quote]
Bang on.

Don't do ANYTHING weird. Like slackening strings or truss rod, silica gel, voodoo ritual with your Haitian neighbour, etc.

Give it a good clean, and since it's a Warwick give it your usual beeswax routine, tune it, leave it for a day in a room with normal humidity and temperature in an open case. Close the case and put it somewhere where you won't get temperature extremes.

It will be fine.

[quote name='Johnston' timestamp='1326382034' post='1496434']
This is something that always confused me.

A bass is perfectly fine being played for years and never having the tension released. So where does the not being played make a difference to the wood?? Does it know, get depressed and go out of shape like someone eating their feelings?
[/quote]

Me too, no idea why that would be necessary.