Why become a member? ×

Even in the darkest moments...

niceguyhomer

[quote name='Richie Edwards']20ft. high on Blackpool promenade
Fake royalty second hand sequin facade
Limited face paint and dyed black quiff
Overweight and out of date[/quote]

I'm dissapointed that my Evlis' corpse kicking up a funk joke isn't doing it for anyone. I honestly thought that might get me into the famous quotes thread.

F*ck you bass chat!

Actually, niceguyhomer, I also think Glenn Miller is cheesy as f*** but, when I recently did a big band gig at a RAFA club, all these old couples got up to dance ot the stuff and I was immediately made aware that this bland music had been very important to some people at a difficult time in their lives - it made playing it as well as we could very important all of a sudden.

As someone said 'beauty is in the ear of the beholder'.

Enjoy your gig.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='168508' date='Apr 2 2008, 02:57 PM']I'm dissapointed that my Evlis' corpse kicking up a funk joke isn't doing it for anyone. I honestly thought that might get me into the famous quotes thread.

F*ck you bass chat![/quote]

Glad you pinpointed the moment the Manics went a big wrong.

[quote name='Cantdosleepy' post='168532' date='Apr 2 2008, 04:25 PM']Glad you pinpointed the moment the Manics went a big wrong.[/quote]

IMHO The Manics have always been up and down. The Holy Bible is on of the best albums ever created, and that means I listen more to their other stuff than I normally would. They have certainly created a lot of crap both with and without Richie.

Edited by cheddatom

I've never understood why people feel the need to ram their musical opinions down other peoples throats and then trash everything else ad nauseum. It's a waste of time. Nor do I understand why people feel the need to talk in derisory terms about old people and their musical tastes (not just in this thread bilbo but it goes on a lot these days on this forum).

I'd just like to say to those people, the ones who rubbish Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles, Elvis etc etc, if you're lucky, you'll all be old one day and you'll probably grow old listening to the music you listen to now and then you'll have to suffer the jibes and ill-informed comments of all those little oiks who think they know better.

It's a shame to have to wait so long to realise you're opinion is no more valid than anybody elses.

OK - I'll shut up now and eat my lard sandwiches.

Homer - I don't think anyone was being ageist or even mentioned the fact that you're really old ( :) )

Who the hell rubbished Hendrix? or The Beatles?

Anyway, yeh, it's weird that you started a thread about finding something new and fun and people decided that it was necessary to use it to voice their musical opinions. If you read back, I think there's only one person with something negative to say about Elvis.

I don't think its as serious as that, mate.

I think a bit of genre bashing is no more sinister than banter. Most of us don't listen to what we don't like and don't really care if others don't like our tastes. No genre is universally appreciated, we all know that, and these rucks are just a bit of silliness to pass the day. I think if someone wants to make a serious point about why they like a particular band/song/genre, then that's cool. But I think most of us can tell the difference between a serious discussion and a bit of nonsense.

Brie, Bacon and Cranberry Sauce baguettes from the Baker's Oven. Yummy!

Edited by bilbo230763

mmm, laaarrrd :)
i've learnt to play Suspicious Minds on ukulele - i've been driving my girlfriend mad with it because no matter how many times i play it.. and play it, tune it, play it, tune it and then play it some more, i'm not getting bored ;) . just thought i'd share that with you all... enjoy your gig homer :huh:

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='168552' date='Apr 2 2008, 04:47 PM']I think a bit of genre bashing is no more sinister than banter.[/quote]

Was that to me bilbo? Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound serious, I was trying to "explain" to homer that no-one was trying to ram their opinion down his throat, and that no-one had "bashed" any of the artists he mentioned, nor had they bashed old people.

Anyway, sorry, it wasn't worded very well (as usual).

Has anyone else seen Evlis recently?

Here ya go :huh:

[quote name='cheddatom' post='167633' date='Apr 1 2008, 12:59 PM']No need to be flippant.

Jimi Hendrix Experience IMHO sound crap. They have great songs, fantastic ability, fiendish riffs, and very cool tone, but the overall sound is thin. If they were around today, i'm sure Jimi would be begging me to come and sort out the sound. ( :) )[/quote]

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='168279' date='Apr 2 2008, 10:45 AM']Elvis is proof that you can fool some of the people all of the time.[/quote]

Anyone who could count Sam Cooke, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, James Brown, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, Eric Clapton, The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and Jeff Beck among their fans can't have been all that bad. It amazes me that the black Rock n' Roll guys and the English Rhythm n' Blues guys rated Elvis as The King. But they did. That is a fact. And if you look back and listen to his music - especially his live performances - it was great stuff and he made a significant contribution.

He was also quite a ground-breaking guy. You look at that famous concert (I think it was at the end of the '60s) and you can see his drummer's playing two kick drums a la Ginger Baker, and his bass player's going nuts a la Jack Bruce and James Jamerson (but the rhythm section was Country players), and then he's got black gospel singers backing him. At the end of the '60s, at a time when he'd become irrelevant and when people thought of him as a bit of a joke, there he was fusing Country, Gospel, Rock n' Roll, Rhythm n' Blues but now also Funk, Soul, and the Cream/Hendrix-style Jazz-Rock that was about to influence the likes of Miles Davis and his young protégés.

Ignore all the bullshit and hysteria about him. The guy was first and foremost a hard-working musician with vision and is worthy of everyone's respect on that level, even if you don't like his music.

[quote name='niceguyhomer' post='168563' date='Apr 2 2008, 05:03 PM']Here ya go :huh:[/quote]

I knew you were talking about that and that's why I asked.

I specifically said They have great songs, fantastic ability, fiendish riffs, and very cool tone.

I listen to a lot of the hendrix experience, and I was expressing my opinion in a reasoned manner. It genuinley annoys me when I can hear a great band with a crap sound/sound engineer as this is what I aspire to be, and this is where IMHO my talent lies.

I was not "bashing" Hendrix and/or the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

I'm sure the wink at the end of your post is supposed to signify that i'm not to take it too seriously, which I really am not, but reading this post back, it does come accross very confrontational/defensive. Sorry about that! I would take longer on it but i'm off home now :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='168537' date='Apr 2 2008, 04:32 PM']IMHO The Manics have always been up and down. The Holy Bible is on of the best albums ever created, and that means I listen more to their other stuff than I normally would. They have certainly created a lot of crap both with and without Richie.[/quote]

And some with him. Damn dog is a not good song. And drug drug druggie is clearly a song about being a 'drug-smoker' by someone who has never sampled anything.

On the other hand, on that very album there's La Tristessa. Holy Bible is the only album where every track's a killer. Oh wait, Revol's not great.

Manics were the first band I loved and 'll never forget them, but I very rarely listen to their music any more. JDB's got a cracking voice, though.

Here's some drunk Wire for ya!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='168257' date='Apr 2 2008, 10:19 AM']Yeah.....but its Elvis. I don't care how much you paid me. It's Elvis :)[/quote]

Ah man...What...!! :huh:

Check out the Vegas concerts... [70's I think]
Elvis and a stonking Band...some real greats in there.....
And i would not consider myself a great Elvis Fan..
But he did some real classic's...

Garry

Doing Elvis covers sounds like a lot of fun - lots of true classics there.

You should also check our Bubba ho Tep on DVD - Elvis is alive, living in an old folks home and fights the undead with John F Kennedy. Top movie!

TBH I'm jealous of people of my mum's generation getting to see Hendrix, Led Zep, Cream, etc live and when they were new. Better than the 'kin Foo Fighters and REM anyday.