Why become a member? ×

Fender Precision S1 - Am I A Fool?

NAS

I failed to clock soon enough that the advent of the new American Standard Precision spec would mean the demise of the now discontinued Precision American S1 model. I had just ordered one with Maple fingerboard and Butterscotch Blonde body to discover that all the web based suppliers were out of stock and were being told by Fender that no more were available. Of course the new model doesn't come in Butterscotch which was the nearest finish I could find to a natural wood finish which is what I really wanted. During my ringing round (Mansons, Dolphin, GAK, Guitars.co.uk, Thomann etc.) it seemed that no one had any left. And then I found this on FleaBay: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Standard-Precision-Bass-American-Great-value_W0QQitemZ130196483342QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem"]Fender Precision American Bass[/url]
Being in a bit of a state about having my order turned down (but being offered a refund as the product wasn't available) I probably went off a bit half cocked and went for the black bass which should be winging its way to me on Thursday, so I hope it turns out to be a decent example.
I did find out that Martin Petersen at The Bass Gallery thinks he has a spare S1 circuit and pickups somewhere in his spare bits bin and I was considering getting this to put in one of the new spec basses as a mod, but the cost would be a lot more, as would this: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330223881903&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT&refitem=220205945872&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=CategoryProximity&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=its%3DS%252BI"]1977 Precision[/url]
So, did I do the right thing or have I bought a pup? NS

Why do you think you've done the wrong thing?

if that P that you've bought is anywhere near 1/2 decent it will be a known factor.... Retro fitting the S1 (if you can easily source the parts,which it sounds like you can) is a doddle.

So the only deviation from your original idea is the colour.....

Black is the best colour fo P basses.....

Give it a few weeks and I'll post what you can do, starting out with a Black MIA P......

(yep I'm doing one!)

BTW will you want a chrome Badass for you newbie? I'll have one spare soon....!

Yes, I saw this ad on ebay, too. Very confusing how they're advertising a new American Standard but showing the pics of an S1 model from the shop floor. Did you call them & check which one it actually is?

If it is an American Standard, you could be the first on this server to have one! Do us a good review with pics!

Rich.

That seller's telling porkies. He has described the bass as a new American Standard but it's an S1. Isn't that what you were after? I think you need to clarify with the seller what he is selling. It could be an honest mistake but his listing is quite clear and unambiguous.

Edit: OTPJ you beat me to it. It does state in the listing that the guitar pictured is the actual one for sale.

Oh and NAS wouldn't be the first on here to have one of the new ones as I've already got one :)

Edited by PaulMartin

That's an S-1. Note the blue arrow-shaped sticker on the scratchplate. Same as mine-I had the white scratchplate off pronto, replaced with a black one (note avatar). The S-1 circuit is going soon too-it's a waste of time, turns the sound from full and loud to thin and weedy. I hear it makes a difference on a J-bass, but on a P it's like a handbrake on a canoe. I love the bass to bits, but don't go losing any sleep over the S-1 gubbins, it's not worth having. You definitely haven't bought a pup.

Edited by Deep Thought

Thanks for the comments. The BassChat server seems to be a bit ill at the moment hence late reply.
Yes, the eBay one is the S1 and not the new one. I have bought it so I guess I'll find out whether the S1 is a waste of time (I suppose Fender thought it was too as they haven't included it on the new model). Maybe I should have spent the extra and gone on the waiting list for one of the new 2008 models with heavier bridge and lightweight tuners, but the price seems to have gone up as well as the spec.
Anyway, I'll try it out as is. If the S1 doesn't extend the tonal variety in the way I want I can always just ignore it! I'm in two minds about the bridge. Although Badass have a great reputation I've always wondered why so many people stay with the original "bent tin" design. Again I'll have to suck it and see.
Black pickguard already ordered! I was tempted by a black pearl, but I think that would be a bit too flash. I can then leave the white one unblemished and with original stickers in the case.
I'll post some pics when I have time after tinkering with the action and intonation 'til I feel I've made it my own.

I emailed the seller last week to point out the S1 pic not fitting the description of a new American Standard. They said they would check it out. Nothing happened, draw your own conclusions! Whatever bass comes your way you have purchased an MIA P bass. Can't be bad eh?

Edited by Hutton

As Deep Thought said, the S1 switch on the jazz is very good, but not quite as effective on the precision. Not really any point in a badass bridge for American Fenders, as they all have through body stringing, which gives a better sound anyway. When you're through body stringing, there's so little string touching the bridge that a badass makes little or no difference. If however you're going to string via the bridge, the badass is a great idea.

Best of luck with the Precision, anyway. I changed my Jap Geddy Lee for an S1 jazz & haven't been disappointed.

Rich.

Love the look of your Status Retroactive, btw... Got any better pics of it?

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='168614' date='Apr 2 2008, 06:32 PM']Why do you want a precision when you have that?[/quote]
Ah now that's a good question. Partly because I want a slightly more robust and less beautiful bass for some of the "rougher" gigs, and partly because I do like the simple "back to basics" sound of the instrument. It really is a classic design and sound.
I'm hoping it will be an alder body (the supplier seems to think so) with a well made neck (always a bit of a lottery with Fenders). I'll probably need to review the other 4 basses I have and see whether I need to do some further "rationalisation" after I've come to terms with the P Bass.

*Grins* I knew Merton would pick up on your Retroactive! They're lovely basses, the pair of them! Remember that even if you don't like your new Fender neck, uncle Rob of Colchester can always make you a better one for the Precision :)

Many thanks for the extra pics. Always great to meet another Status player!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='168720' date='Apr 2 2008, 09:11 PM']*Grins* I knew Merton would pick up on your Retroactive! They're lovely basses, the pair of them! Remember that even if you don't like your new Fender neck, uncle Rob of Colchester can always make you a better one for the Precision :)

Many thanks for the extra pics. Always great to meet another Status player![/quote]
Hi Rich,
I'm assuming the Colchester ref is to the home of Status (and also my son-in-law!). I do love the graphite necks which is why I have two Statuses and a Modulus. Rob Green did me a real good job on the Retroactive - he even asked whether I wanted him to fit the pickguard given that he seemed to have chosen such a lovely piece of wood for the facing. I did ask him to make and supply the pickguard but I've never fitted it - it's just there with the screws in the case in the unlikely event I ever sell it and the new owner wants to fit it. Such service!
I've never tested the fit of Rob's necks to original Fender bodies. From your comment I assume it's pretty good. For the moment I want to try to come to terms with an "original" Fender build. I know they do make exciting projects, partly because there are so many of them about and partly because the truely impressive mass production design by Leo is so adapatable.
I've now had about 20 basses through my hands and I think more have owed their origins to Leo Fender than to the Gibson, Washburn, Guild or Rickenbacker schools of bass build. He did have just a genius for getting the basic musical requirements right (tone, control, playability) and then wrapping it up in a package that could be mass produced comparatively cheaply (IMO the bolt on neck was quite a break through and has proved successful).
I'll enjoy the Precision as long as I can get the action sweet and it's not too heavy for long sessions. The SmartBass Status has more of a Precision style neck profile so I hope I'll adapt to that OK.
Given I play mostly simple "standards" (can we now use that word in the non-Jazz pop world?) in covers bands the Precision should provide a good "core" sound which I can then "colour" using the amp and effects (the latter I use rarely but I hope with good taste!).
I'll post some pics of the new one eventually, meanwhile here's some of the Modulus Q4:

[quote name='paul, the' post='169286' date='Apr 3 2008, 05:09 PM']And low, it has become a Status thread.

I played a Highway 1 the other day. Such a simple bass, but substantial. Black satin finish. Lovely.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Nearly as nice as a Kingbass!
Sorry i'll get me coat.

Quite right Paul - almost inevitable!
The story I'm getting is that Parcelforce failed to pickup yesterday and they haven't been able to get through to them yet! Hope this isn't the beginning of a long running issue. No real worry yet as they sound entirely genuine (there's always that doubt though). Will post as soon as it comes. Got some new songs to learn on it. NS

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='169341' date='Apr 3 2008, 06:44 PM']Nice selection of Statii and other things graphite you have there. Cant see the P getting played much but you might just love it.[/quote]

MB1. :)
Looks like someones taken the P?

Well the PBass S1 arrived today (Monday) and I've spent the last 6 hours doing stuff - thought you might be interested if there were some, admittedly pretty poor, pictures.

Here it is as newly unwrapped. Just as described with all the bits minus the strap and truss rod key - I've asked the supplier about those and have some hope they'll be provided.

The ad mentioned a small ding - here it is in all its glory.

There's also another very small one right in the hook of the headstock, but it really is minor.
The case is a cheap Chinese Fender marked moulded hard case with black lining. Came shrouded in bubblewrap in a box so no noticeable courier damage.

Here's the head stock with 60th anniversay badge and serial number.

And proof I suppose of where it was born.

Next jobs are to swap the pickguard for a black one, check and adjust neck relief, check and adjust string alignment, check and adjust string height, check and adjust intonation, check and adjust pickup height, and then have a good play.

First pick guard.

Everything relatively neat and tidy under here. Bit of that talc-like stuff underneath and that mystery hole in the wood. Can't believe that it's anything to do with tone. Must be a manufacturing method requirement or a "spare" for advanced features.

Whoever did the QA obviously did a reasonable job.

Everything came off the supplied pick guard simply, but the replacement one was obviously made to a slightly earlier spec. Besides having less screening material, which I don't think is critical given the wiring contact points, the volume and tone apertures are about 2mm too small in diameter, so a bit of drilling required.

Have to admit it was a pretty inexpensive guard, but it's 3-ply and seems good enough.

CONTINUED In NEXT POST DUE TO LIMIT ON NUMBER OF PICTURES

CONTINUED FROM PREVIOUS POST

Having got everything back in the cavity (tight fit and the pots haved to be oriented just right to slot in) next comes the alignment.

As it arrived it was clear that the bridge had been installed a couple of millimetres too far to the left (often a quality issue on mass produced basses).
The bridge was already set up with the strings off the centre of the saddles to compensate for this.

The alignment at the bottom of the neck shows this.

And also the alignment over the pickups.
So, a loosening of the strings to move them further across the bridge.

And then begins all the setup stuff:

Action relatively low on arrival, just a 1/3 turn to reduce the neck relief to the minimum possible without too much buzzing.
Then adjusting string height at the saddles to about 1.5mm above last fret, slightly less than 1mm at the 7th fret when held down at the last fret.
Intonation seems perfect without any other adjustment within the limitations of my Korg CA-30 tuner!
Pickup height adjusted to range from 2.8mm at the E to 2mm at the G with the strings held down at the last fret.

Everything put back together.

I'm really pleased with the result. With my habitual small amount of compression the serial sound is the traditional slightly twangy (new strings) P Bass sound, and switching to parallel with the S1 switch gives a useable but softer edged sound.
All the harmonics come through quite clearly in both modes which is impressive. Action lovely and soft, very playable. String spacing seems nearer 20mm at the bridge and 10mm at the nut. A bit wide for my usual habits, but certainly not uncontrollable.

Weight about the same as a number of my other basses, not super light, but quite manageable.

Strings seem OK, probably won't change them 'til they get dull.

Neck very playable, not too deep.

Must go off and do some more practise!

Nick S