Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

connecting two cabs

steve-bbb

From an audio and power output perspective, no difference whatsoever.

From a practical perspective, on the LH drawing, if the cable coming from the amp fails then you get no output, wheras on the RH drawing if a cable fails then you'll still get an output from one cab.

In the left-hand (yellow) config, you get away with shorter cables, but if the top one fails, then you'll have no sound at all.

In the right-hand config, you need a longer cable, but one cable can fail and you'll still have one cab blasting out the sound.

In terms of power/volume/amp safety there's essentially no difference.

thanks - i was wondering if there was any difference at all with the output etc :D

its a pain in the ar5e to lug it in and out of the venue but its worth it for the tone and power without flogging the amp - not to mention the psychological oneupmanship over the guitarist with his little dual rectifier box :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1325846987' post='1488562']
its a pain in the ar5e to lug it in and out of the venue but its worth it for the tone and power without flogging the amp - not to mention the psychological oneupmanship over the guitarist with his little dual rectifier box :)
[/quote]

If you really want to screw with the guitarists head then get a 6 string bass as well... ;)

[size=4]Buy good cables (from OBBM) and treat them well and they will not fail. Then either config will work. [/size]

[size=4]Unless you have the cheapest and nastiest cables these lengths are not long enough to cause a difference in sound.[/size]

[size=4]For no particular reason, I daisy chain my cabs. I have never had a cable fail.[/size]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1325847888' post='1488578']
[size=4]I daisy chain my cabs. I have never had a cable fail.[/size]
[/quote]

I only use one cab, but I've never had a cable fail either.
And yes, it is an OBBM cable, so...

Edited by discreet

In the left-hand diagram the current for [b]both[/b] cabs is running through the cable between the amp and the first cab. In the right-hand diagram the current for each cable is only for the cab it's plugged into.

If you have good cables neither should be an issue.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1325846701' post='1488553']
From an audio and power output perspective, no difference whatsoever.

From a practical perspective, on the LH drawing, if the cable coming from the amp fails then you get no output, wheras on the RH drawing if a cable fails then you'll still get an output from one cab.
[/quote]

Yep.

Edited by RandomProddy

Plus one on everything said so far (including stitching up/slagging off guitarists).

But for anyone reading this with a different set up...

This way of connecting the cabs if fine because the amp has an output of 4 ohms. The two cabs are both 8 ohms. Which, when combined, gives the head a load of 4 ohms whether they are daisy-chained or separate outputs, as this (and most) heads have a single output stage.

However, if the head had two output stages (Ashdown ABM Evo 900, for example) it would be advisable to connect a load to each of the power outputs or risk damaging the head.

No Speakons on the amp..???

And it would be better if the amp output had speakons x 2.
That is the way I do it...but the argument of this against a daisy chain..???

hmm..I think I would want to be aware of a problem with the cable rather that potentially stress one single cab...
You should be able to hear a single cab go down..but in reality..?? in a different room..??

Sometimes I test each cab/cable connection at a gig.. If I have the time and space etc.

Just goes to show..you need to be on your toes and know the sound of your kit.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1325852998' post='1488719']
True, but we're prepared to take that chance... :lol:
[/quote]
if they did i would just publish the contents of an email they sent me in repsonse to a 'tech support' enquiry - very friendly and polite response but about as useful as a chocolate teapot