Why become a member? ×

HELP: Compressor - before the input or in the effects loop?

Moos3h

Hi folks,

Never used an outboard compressor before - its a pedal one.

I have a Stringray-a-like bass (active) going into a GK head. Should the compressor go in front of the amp or in its effect loop?

All I really want it to do is smooth the sound out a bit - nothing drastic.

Cheers!
James

What determines where it goes is whether it's a rackmount compressor designed to operate off of line level, or whether it's a compressor pedal designed for guitar/bass.

If it's the later (which I guess it is based off of what you said) then it should be going between the bass and the amp. Not in the effects loop.

If it's before the amp general advice seems to be that it should also be placed before any other pedals in your effects chain. This delivers a more consistent signal input to any other pedals which helps to optimise the effects chain and signal into the amp.

However if you are using it as a limiting device (ie v. high ratio, high threshold, ultra fast attack) to prevent any nasty spikes hitting your amp/speakers, then its best put after everything else since pedals (particularly filters) have the ability to cause huge spikes in signal.

This is a potential can of worms! Compressors can be used in multiple ways anywhere in the chain and it really depends on which element/s you want to be effected or not.

Do you want to compress your dry bass tone only?
Do you want to compress just your effects only?
Do you want to be able to switch it on and off?
All of the above?

This question can have a forum by itself, it's so in depth. It really depends on how you use compression.

I use a compressor basically as a limiter for protection on my speakers. I use a lot of effects that can easily destroy speakers if not careful, so it comes last in the chain.

I usually use the compressor built into my Mesa Carbine M9 head, set to only tame the highest peaks. I have experimented with a compressor in the effects loop (dbx and pedal units) with great results.

If you're using compression as more of a tone shaping tool, you might want to put it after drive pedals, but before modulation.

[quote name='Bankai' timestamp='1325827832' post='1488374']
.. whether it's a rackmount compressor designed to operate off of line level, or whether it's a compressor pedal designed for guitar/bass.[/quote]

Quite a lot or rackmountable kit will happily accept instrument-level or line-level and so can therefore be used in either mode.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1325857663' post='1488838']
This is a potential can of worms! Compressors can be used in multiple ways anywhere in the chain and it really depends on which element/s you want to be effected or not.
[/quote]

Exactly. Personally I use mine as the first effect as it helps give a clean signal to my octave and synth pedals.

[quote name='Moos3h' timestamp='1325754434' post='1486990']
Hi folks,

Never used an outboard compressor before - its a pedal one.

I have a Stringray-a-like bass (active) going into a GK head. Should the compressor go in front of the amp or in its effect loop?

[/quote]

Probably in front of the amp, and any other pedals.

Thing about the effects loop is that it is often parallel, so you get a blend of the clean signal and any effects you put in the loop (and if a pedal dies, you still get some sound). This is probably OK for effects, but pretty useless for compressors when you want to compress all of the signal for most (if not all) of the time.

This is all quite intersting. I use a pedal type compressor in my fx loop and it's the first in line. I also have an octaver and I have read elsewhere that you should have the octaver after the compressor. Mine is used to tweek the sound and tone and is always on.