Why become a member? ×

I feel dirty. Just ordered a Roadworn Jazz! pics added

deanovw

It's quite subtle though, isn't it? I don't think it's all about getting the sander out and smearing filth all over the shop, but more like gently taking the shine and 'newness' off, and dulling the chrome a little, making the screws etc. look a bit aged, putting light scratches on the pg, and so on... there's the added advantage that you don't have to worry about putting that first ding in a new bass... it's been done for you! :D

Looks lovely, I think it beats the real wear I've got on my basses. I've got a Precision where my forearm's made a 3 inch line along the top edge where the wood is just showing through. Definitely real wear, but I've somehow produced an almost a perfect rectangle.

What I'm trying to say is your Jazz's wear may not be real, but at least it makes sense.

Edited by Mylkinut

[quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1326720373' post='1500900']
I've got a Precision where my forearm's made a 3 inch line along the top edge where the wood is just showing through. Definitely real wear, but I've somehow produced an almost a perfect rectangle. What I'm trying to say is your Jazz's wear may not be real, but at least it makes sense.
[/quote]

As I take every opportunity to post my (ex) 76P, which I bought from new and owned for 35 years... it's a 'real' relic...
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/116578-precisions/page__view__findpost__p__1226142"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__1226142[/url]
Also worn along the forearm contour...

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1326714007' post='1500762']
It's quite subtle though, isn't it? I don't think it's all about getting the sander out and smearing filth all over the shop, but more like gently taking the shine and 'newness' off, and dulling the chrome a little, making the screws etc. look a bit aged, putting light scratches on the pg, and so on... there's the added advantage that you don't have to worry about putting that first ding in a new bass... it's been done for you! :D
[/quote]
Absolutely. I'm hoping my HW1 ends up like this in a few years.

I am leaving them on. If anyone asks I shall tell them it is a 2011 bass.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1326731131' post='1501169']

Now you have a dilemma. Do you take off the 'CE' stickers which show that its brand new?
[/quote]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1326721145' post='1500926']
As I take every opportunity to post my (ex) 76P, which I bought from new and owned for 35 years... it's a 'real' relic...
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/116578-precisions/page__view__findpost__p__1226142"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__1226142[/url]
Also worn along the forearm contour...
[/quote]

Brilliant bass - my 77 is in that thread somewhere, it's a twin of yours but with the covers still on it. It's my 97 with the odd wear though, it looks like I took a scalpel and scraped a line of paint out of it down to the wood in a perfectly straight line. Couldn't look faker if I'd actually faked it.

Makes me laugh that you pay more for the worn "used" look than the new, pristine version: a matter of an additional £400 or abouts.

That being said, I did enjoy the red RW Precision I played in Liverpool's Dolphin music before they moved out.
It may sound stupid but it does genuinely feel that the worn in feel adds to the tone.
The worn neck feels like the one from your trusty P/J bass you've played for 10 years night after night, gig after gig . . . Truly phenomenon but just something I don't see me paying full price for.

[quote name='bigsmokebass' timestamp='1326791835' post='1501865']
Makes me laugh that you pay more for the worn "used" look than the new, pristine version: a matter of an additional £400 or abouts.

That being said, I did enjoy the red RW Precision I played in Liverpool's Dolphin music before they moved out.
It may sound stupid but it does genuinely feel that the worn in feel adds to the tone.
The worn neck feels like the one from your trusty P/J bass you've played for 10 years night after night, gig after gig . . . Truly phenomenon but just something I don't see me paying full price for.
[/quote]

In my experience, simply sanding down the back of the neck to take the gloss off, and then rolling the fingerboard edges makes any bass 'feel' worn in. I hate glossy necks.

Other than the finish is there actually anything different between this and the regular MIM 60s? I suppose the up side is that if it gets dinged it doesn't matter :)

The MIM 60s are already supposed to be great.

p.s it does look great, I love the satin/nitro finish.

Edited by krazy_olie

Fair question.
I have been looking for a '60s RI for a while. A friend has a 1983 squier that is super light and full of charatcer. He wont sell it to me for what I want to pay. :D It is much nicer than anything I have tried. I am in Cornwall so there is not much shopping around.
I have been reading lots of positive reactions about the RW range. My local music shop owner offered to get one in for me to try. No pressure. I had been in previously and tried a used USA standard jazz he had in. It didn't excite me.
The RW arrived and I took it home. As much as I hate fake relic-ing the bass is great and I cant stop playing it. Sometimes I lean it against things and don't use its stand. It doesn't worry me. :D

I [quote name='TraceElliotBass' timestamp='1326805617' post='1502108']
Nice looking bass!

But I don't understand that if you really don't like the road worn/used look why did you buy a road worn? :ph34r:
[/quote]