Why become a member? ×

Identify My Bass

bpbpbp

Hi,

I can't find any pictures or information on basses like mine. Does any have any model info for me please? I think it's a Stingray with Jazz Pickups, but can't ifnd any of these for sale anywhere, or get a an idea of how old it might be?

Thanks!
Ben

Thanks for the replies folks. I've uploaded more photos here, with the scratchplate removed. It looks like it is modded. I really like the sound of it, never knew it wasn't factory!

https://plus.google.com/photos/107497175547420996184/albums/5691984851690621473?authkey=CIqT7YbltdGzNg

I don't know what value to put on it as I've not seen another one like it. It's in excellent condition.

as you can see from the picture without the scratch plate, the hole above the bridge pickup is where the musician pickup would have filled it in.

Its a shame as it is a wonderful example of a MM that without the mod would have been worth around £900. (estimation judged on what similar aged MM have recently gone for.

As for value now, i guess you could say £900 minus whatever it costs for someone to restore it

Edit: just noticed as well the mutes are missing too

Edited by blackmn90

In terms of looks - i like it just the way it is. But, of course, that's blasphemous.

If you want to sell it for more quid, I'd go for replacing bridge pickup with standard MM humbucker and bridge pickup with MM single (as in some Sterlings and Cutlasses).

I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to return it to standard. You'd just need to get an MM 'bucker and a standard pickguard, both of which you might be able to find s/h I guess. I would've thought it would be worth more like that but who knows?

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1326153580' post='1493202']
I wouldn't have thought it would be too difficult to return it to standard. You'd just need to get an MM 'bucker and a standard pickguard, both of which you might be able to find s/h I guess. I would've thought it would be worth more like that but who knows?
[/quote]You'd need a MM preamp aswell, given that it's likely a VVT, or some pickup selection installed.

Thanks for all the replies folks. The previous owner was Richard Jones from the Stereophonics, around the time of Performance & Cocktails. I have had it valued at £750 which seems about right to me and in keeping with comments here. Time to put her on Ebay!

Edited by bpbpbp

[quote name='bpbpbp' timestamp='1326274584' post='1494658']
Thanks for all the replies folks. The previous owner was Richard Jones from the Stereophonics, around the time of Cigarettes & Alcohol. I have had it valued at £750 which seems about right to me and in keeping with comments here. Time to put her on Ebay!
[/quote] :lol: Do you mean Performance And Cocktails?

[quote name='Fatguy' timestamp='1326314822' post='1495452'] [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/ss-stingray-has-ever-been-done-508568/index2.html#post6855401"]http://www.talkbass....tml#post6855401[/url] the picture might be helpful at your evilbay ad ;-) [/quote]

You utter utter LEGEND!!!! Mate, thank you so much!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...