Why become a member? ×

Ibanez GVB1006 Gerald Veasley 6-String Signature Bass

Dood

If there's ever going to be a thread that will gather dust quickly it'll be this one!

Does anyone own one of these basses or have seen one in stock anywhere in the Uk? I'd love to try one out to test a theory.

I've been a big fan of close string spacings for years now and these have a 14mm spacing that will probably suit my playing style very well. I'm already using 16mm on my Shukers... Could I go even closer?

http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/71962_l.jpg

Yeah, you're not wrong! I actually don't want one, but I really want to try the squat spacing to see if I like it. Then I will go for a custom build so that my more usual bass preferences get included! And sadly for Ibanez my custom will be cheaper :)

theres a fella selling a neck for £35 on here, get that, a plank, a threaded rod (like the old fenders) and a bit of metal screwed into the base of the wood. Get the metal, drill holes 14mm apart, and some to screw it to the plank. Screw it together with some old strings. have a go. feels good- custom, not well then. sell the neck......

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1325110799' post='1480007']
Yeah, you're not wrong! I actually don't want one, but I really want to try the squat spacing to see if I like it. Then I will go for a custom build so that my more usual bass preferences get included! And sadly for Ibanez my custom will be cheaper :)
[/quote]

I thought you'd perhaps sold one of your kidneys there for a moment... :lol:

(These go for around £5500 for those who haven't sussed it yet)

(The bass that is, not Dood's kidneys)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1325114564' post='1480058']

I thought you'd perhaps sold one of your kidneys there for a moment... :lol:

(These go for around £5500 for those who haven't sussed it yet)

(The bass that is, not Dood's kidneys)
[/quote]

It would be very nice, but I'm rather attached to my kidneys right now! Heh! I don't think I'd get any more than about £5.50 for each.. Slightly short of ibanez's price tag!!!

I'd love to see more clips of you playing Dan, i use 17mm string spacing, and seeing tighter spacing would be interesting (plus i'm in love with the Doodle, and you still owe me Kilo clips ;) )

How do you find digging in? You must play with much more control than me haha!

I've had a couple idea's but incase they are stolen by any on lookers i'd rather not discuss (or look silly haha! Actually is it cool if i PM you dood? So we can have a nerdy gear chat :lol:

The Ibanez is basically a custom, though not sure how it quite reaches £5.5K!

Edited by AttitudeCastle

Hey chap! Yup, ping me a message / email that's cool. Yes, I'm afraid once again other music work has been keeping me busy... Damn I love my job! But I will do a kilo + hx112's review on YouTube soon!

Ahhh the Doodle rocks! Infact I'm loving her lil sister! The 6er is more about speed and control which translates to a real slick paying surface and I'm looking to prototype a few ideas of my own to test a theory or two!

As for digging in, I'd say I am firm with the instrument but I don't waste energy by digging in to hard. Let the pickups, electronics and amplification work for you and concentrate on honing technique. A big plus for me is using a ramp. It actually stops you from digging in anyway, acting a bit like a mechanical version of a leveller or limiter!

Incidentally, I've also seen that myung's basses now have 5 string necks on them but are 6ers, thus depending on width he'll be using something like a 14-16mm spacing too. I have a feeling my Conklin 7er I had years ago was a 15mm so I can totally see where it would benefit.. Really looking forward to trying a 14mm. I reckon I'll still be able to slap it too!

My Peavey 6er has i believe a 16.5mm spacing which is fantastic! Don't think i could go any thinner than that really as i have a fairly aggressive right hand at times, plus I have to be careful with my (quite limited) tapping as it is! I would definately give one of those Ibanez basses a go sometime if I saw one though

Just in case you've not seen, Ed Friedland's review: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e1xXQUOIig"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e1xXQUOIig[/url]

Looks like a nice bass if the features and narrow spacing work for you.

And you get over the £5.5k (which seems a very long way from my £135 Ibanez Blazer)

Alder body, three piece neck...! Only £5500! Crazy.

Mind you, Veasley has been slogging away on Ibanez SR 6 strings since they first came out, so I expect they felt it was time to indulge him. But this is even sillier than when the Gary Willis bass went 'boutique'. I have to say, sadly, that the Veasley bass doesn't even sound that great in the video. The SR3006 was much better, bring that back!

I actually agree. I would hope that a 1-2-1 with such a bass would coax some better tones out of it - but I wasn't a fan of what I was hearing tonally. I'd have to swap the pups out - but then, for that money I'm afraid I would save a packet and go custom. Even my Shuker 7 string wasnt that expensive, sorry Ibanez, please rethink!!

The sad thing is, at £1000 they could make the same bass and I bet they'd sell plenty. It would appeal to a market of players who want 6 string range but struggle with playing a normal 6 string. This offers them something very manageable with it's narrow string spacing. Get the right hand used to the spacing and it would surely be a breeze to play. As it is, it's just a very very expensive collector's item. It doesn't even look like £5000's worth of bass, what a shame.

Here is Veasley getting some decent sounds out of a custom shop Ibanez SR 6 string, anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pHsEoNSkso

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1326933000' post='1504107']
Cheers Ewan mate, no i hadn't seen those! I'll check 'em out!
[/quote]

No bother mate, just thought it might be a nice cheap way to try out a tighter spacing, you could mod it with mono-rails to get it down to 14.5mm I reckon :)

• 1 month later...

Spooky, almost as if someone was listening...
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page12.php?area_id=3&data_id=143&color=CL01&year=2012&cat_id=2&series_id=25
Street price of $1099, not sure what it'll end up as in the UK, but easily sub £800 I reckon.

Eude

[quote name='Mr Lizard' timestamp='1330008594' post='1551335']
The price has reduced by how much?!?
[/quote]

According to notreble.com it has.
This is a lower end mass produced model, I think the insanely priced one is completely hand crafted by Ibanez's top luthier(s)...

Eude

Just as Gary Willis has his custom model and cheaper version (GWB1005 vs. GWB35) for some time, GV now has the same two lines: [url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_series12.php?series_id=25&area_id=3&year=2012&cat_id=2"]http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_series12.php?series_id=25&area_id=3&year=2012&cat_id=2[/url]