Why become a member? ×

You're only as good as yer drummer!

gjones

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1325166909' post='1480425']

Bass and drums = the foundation of everything in a band, without them things start to fall to pieces.
[/quote]

That is because the dressing on the top...gtrs. keys etc ... can mostly do what they want without having to make someone else sound good or complete.
And that is because we have taken care of all that, for it not to matter..or rather, matter less.

The trouble..as always..is when you try and build on sand..

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1325168789' post='1480460']
....I used to have a drummer like that, I was in three bands with him, but then he slept with my best mate's wife so I can't really use him any more!....
[/quote]

Why? Are you jealous?

Good point in the OP. I love playing with my drummer. He's got a reggae and jazz background so even though we are a punky power pop band we do a lot of off beat stuff we enjoy locking in on. I know exactly when he's going to hit that cymbal he knows when I'm going to play in front of or behind the beat
I've rarely played with other drummers recently. I have with a couple of 'rock' drummers and they were way too bashy and busy for my taste. Made me just want to play roots and get it over with. I did really enjoy playing in the US a couple of years ago with a 65 year old fisherman who was a country blues player with some missing fingers. He had a very economic and tasteful style that was really enjoyable and easy to lock into.
I've been talked in to helping out a mates project band for a bit and the only thing that worries me is what the drummer will be like.

A great drummer for me is someone who is technically good but can hold the rythm on his own, giving me a free range.

The guy with have now has the moments of pure excellence and others, he even admits, he is trying too hard which cuases all kind of issues, I've even changed basslines to be more straight forward to keep the beat.

Some guys are so easy to play with others not.