Why become a member? ×

Overwater PJ on Gumtree

wateroftyne

(Mods - if this is in the wrong place could you move it, please? Thank you!)

Hi all

[i]This is a public service announcement.[/i]

I'm on the hunt for a PJ, and[url="http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/overwater-bass-guitar/92139220"] I spotted this on Gumtree[/url] for £930. It's up Gosforth way, for anyone who knows the area.

I've just been to see it and my God, it's lovely... It's totally beautiful in a slightly bling way. The neck is very flamey (you can't tell in the photos). It's in excellent condition and it's one of the nicest playing basses I've ever played (IYKWIM). The notes are clean, even and lively right the way to the top.

I didn't buy it because the preamp (which I thought was a J-retro, but I've just looked it up and it's an Audere) sounds too 'active' for my tastes, and it it's a little bit heavier than my ideal weight (but not 'heavy' by any means). It balances very well.

I have no affiliation with the seller whatsoever, but I thought I'd do a public service and post my findings here in case anyone is interested.

Edited by wateroftyne

I had an Audere in one of my basses and I know what you mean about it sounding 'active' BUT... it came into its own in a live setting, really lifted it head and shoulders above other active preamps; added to which when recording or noodling in the house you can tame some of the 'active' with the EQ.

However, weight is something you can't do anything about, that and if that hadn't been blue, I'd have been sniffing at it!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1325078376' post='1479573']
how heavy was it? (compared to other things?)
[/quote]

Umm... at a guess? 9-9.5lbs maybe. A pound heavier than I'd like. All the weight is in the body - it balances very well indeed. It's got them lightweight Hipshots on it.

I spent half-and-hour thinking the little tree-way flick switch was a pickup selector. it wasn't (it's a phase switch or summat), and that explains why I struggled to find an out-and-out P tone. My fault.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1325079141' post='1479585']
isn't it the hi/lo z thingy.... like i know what that means off the top of my head
[/quote]

Something like that.. [url="http://www.audereaudio.com/JZ3D.htm"]here's the lowdown[/url]. Specifically, it was this config:

[url="http://www.audereaudio.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=5"]http://www.audereaudio.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=5[/url]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1325095979' post='1479835']
I've just been back to see it, this time armed with a better idea of how the Audere works.

I found the out-and-out P tone. and it's bloody lovely.

Gah.. this bass is sweet! I just can't pull myself out of my Fender comfort zone...
[/quote]
Do it.
Someone needs to buy this to take the temptation away from me

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1325105589' post='1479960']
Offer him £850. You won't lose any money on it if you sell it on. I used to be set in my ways with a P/Ray/Jazz shape and now I have a Big Al and Bongo incoming, and they are completely out there when it comes to style. This Overwater is just a nice slant on the Fender style.
[/quote] it is VERY bling though

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1325154827' post='1480242']
Ha ha.. I noticed that.

I'm still wrestling with myself over this one. It feels like a bargain, but it's not quite what I want. What to do, what to do...
[/quote]
would it grow on you? Or would it be a fun bass to have at home and play and then get out the sunburst ones from the '70s with Fender on the headstock for gigs? Your band needn't know! :) apparently moon guitars have sea foam green one similar- but about £470 more too, bass direct have a more modern 5 string version for £2k.....

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1325096279' post='1479842']
If it had been 3-tone burst, I'd be sitting playing it now..! I'm such a luddite.
[/quote]

I would have thought that would be a good call...
My friend had one made..and I can say that the top line of Overwaters Fenders are very well put together on that showing.

For that money... looks a lotta bass..???

OT....and this would be my one reservation about Tanglewood OV's..not that I have seen one up close, but that is a tough act to follow.

I wouldn't put the top line OV's that far behind Sei's...

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1325156555' post='1480278']
Just spoken to the chap again. He won't budge on the price, which is fair enough.

Hmm. Now what...?

Gaaaaah!
[/quote]
Price isn't the issue though is it? it is already a great price.

It's a question of can I afford this? Y/N
Could I get a better bass for less or similar money? Y/N
If I bought and wanted to sell later could I make the money back? Y/N
Do I want this bass? do the positives out way the negatives? Y/N
Would I play this less than a sunburst fender PJ? Y/N
Would I mind it being different than the rest of my collection? Y/N

Any no's mean possibly not the bass for you!

(I was tempted but would have to sell a bass to afford it so didn't get past the first question :( )

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1325157287' post='1480290']

(I was tempted but would have to sell a bass to afford it so didn't get past the first question :( )
[/quote]

ha ha not helping..!!

The only think I can offer is that Wot is a trad Fender guy ( probably) ...so how will this sit on gigs..?

I'd decide on what it is worth to me..offer it..which means a tad lower that stated, and leave it on the table for him to dwell on..and make sure I am entirely happy to let karma deal the rest
If he budges, then it is meant to be..!!

Edited by JTUK

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1325157287' post='1480290']

[/quote]

All good questions! No straight answers, unfortunately...

It's a question of can I afford this? [b]Y.. kind-of. If it's stays I'll be selling my Fretless '71 P.. :mellow: [/b]
Could I get a better bass for less or similar money? [b]Possibly... or possibly not![/b]
If I bought and wanted to sell later could I make the money back? [b]I dunno.. I'm new to the non-Fender market.[/b]
Do I want this bass? do the positives out way the negatives? [b]It's soooooooo bling![/b]
Would I play this less than a sunburst fender PJ? [b]If it was a great bass, no.[/b]
Would I mind it being different than the rest of my collection? [b]See above.[/b]

My comfort zone is under attack, and it's freaking me out. ha ha.