Why become a member? ×

Hohner bass

5thread

I have a B2AD for a back-up, bad back bass. Fantastic. Remarkably it can sound like a P-Bass, really woody, despite looking as different to one as is possible.

Without wishing a de-railment, does anyone know anything much about the B-Bass? It strikes me that it is a B2A with a body and headstock, if that makes sense.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1324755193' post='1477663']
Without wishing a de-railment, does anyone know anything much about the B-Bass? It strikes me that it is a B2A with a body and headstock, if that makes sense.
[/quote]

Yes, I have a B Bass Pro 5er - it's really a Jack with a headstock. PM me if you want to ask Q's.

G.

P.S. It's for sale if anyone's interested.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='lee4' timestamp='1324749251' post='1477614']
[b]Had a 4 string stick bass for years(but stupidly sold it).Change all the strings in 20 minutes,solid tuning,bypassable actives and a great tone.I would get one if I were you.[/b]
[/quote]
x2
Loved it. Played it live for 5 years and sold it for a song as I thought I'd never play again!

I had one of these a while back - the 4 string version. Had a great sound and was kinda cool, but I couldn't really get on with the playing of it. As there is no headstock, the whole fretboard appears to have moved to the left. Consequently, I found it difficult to swap from playing a Fender to the Hohner in a set

Here's a video of me playing a small clip (apologies for the timing .... and the camera picking up the acoustic plucking too). From memory, this was played clean through a Cornford Harlequin all valve 1x12 guitar combo for this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaEs09R6l4Q

Geoff, thanks for that, I will PM you shortly.

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1324774671' post='1477830']
As there is no headstock, the whole fretboard appears to have moved to the left. [/quote]

Talking about this with a mate yesterday and he used the expression 'phantom headstock' - I don't know if that is an original but it sums it up perfectly.

I've had two of the 'cricket bat' headless Hohner 5's and two 4's in the past. Pretty good overall although i found the the B string was a little flappy and not consistent in tension or sounds with the other strings.... however i've heard there are new, tighter, strings on the market that maybe able to resolve this issue.
Also i bought a Synapse hook from Steinberger from the US and fitted one to enable the bass to sit more comfortable, definitely worth a look if your not comfortable with the strap hooking. But all in all good basses and a steal if you can pick up a second hand one for around £200 ish...great dub reggae tones too. Merry Christmas :)

I used to have one (PaulS now owns it) and loved it to bits. Sometimes I wonder if I should've sold it, but I couldn't get on with the extra scale length. They're easy to string and such and they look quite cool, and they also play and sound really well too. I'd reccommend one :)

Wow thanks for all the reply's did'nt expect that much over christmas. What I like about them is there compact size. Some of the pubs we play in are very small, and a 5 piece band with keys the stage becomes very cramped. I will take your feedback on board and consider them very well. thanks again Ian :)

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1324831500' post='1478019']
I used to have one (PaulS now owns it) and loved it to bits. Sometimes I wonder if I should've sold it, but I couldn't get on with the extra scale length. They're easy to string and such and they look quite cool, and they also play and sound really well too. I'd reccommend one :)
[/quote]

:) Yes, I have owned three* and yours - now mine - is the best by a country mile. The drop D is extremely handy, albeit a bit in the way as that is where I rest my palm! I know exactly what you mean, though - I don't use mine much so the 'Phantom Headstock, plus full 2 octave neck means I really need to keep an eye on what my hands are doing.

* this is a lesson in why you should never sell them.

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1324896758' post='1478277']
I didn't even know it had a drop D :lol: Or did you put that one on afterwards?
[/quote]

The 4's have a Drop Lever on the bridge - this is stock - the 5ers don't need it.....obviously.........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-HOHNER-BBASS-TR-TRANSPARENT-RED-ELECTRIC-BASS-GUITAR-W-EMG-PUPS-/350497159590?pt=Guitar&hash=item519b4239a6

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne