Why become a member? ×

Cabinet advice

StraightSix

I need a little technical advice if possible...

I have an 8ohm 4X10 cab and I would like to push a little more air and make use of the full power from my amp head so I was considering adding another 8ohm 4X10 but, in reality, I don't think I can get it all in my car.

I then started reading about 6X10 cabs but they seem mighty heavy.

So my question is - will it be a useful improvement if I add a 2X10 cab to my 4X10...?

I realise that most 2X10 cabs are 8ohm which will mean the drivers in the 2X10 would be working twice as hard as the 4X10 but I was considering rewiring the 2X10 cab to 16ohm so each of the six 10" drivers are equally sharing the load.

I think I have the maths right but I'm wondering if this will give a decent improvement or should I stick to my original plan of adding another 4X10 and get a bigger car...?

Cheers for any help.

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]A 4 ohm 410 won't “push” much more “air”, but adding a 210 to you r existing 410 will. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]What is your amp? If I assume it is 500 watts then that's 250 watts per cab. You probably won't be playing flat out so let’s assume 250 watts, that's 125 watts per cab. The reality is that the 210 won't be working twice as hard; the 410 will be working half as hard. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]As long as the 210 you buy can handle half the rating of your amp you have nothing to worry about. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=Arial] [/font][/size][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font]

Thanks for the replies.

lollington - that had crossed my mind but as stated by chris b, it won't push more air.

Mr Foxen - that is exactly as I had thought which is why I was considering a 16ohm 2X10. Would you consider adding one would be beneficial (obviously, I will gain something just by getting more headroom from the amp) but is this going to give a decent improvement...?

Incidentally, the amp head is rated at 250W into 4ohms.

Cheers

[quote name='StraightSix' timestamp='1324253907' post='1472359']
Thanks for the replies.

lollington - that had crossed my mind but as stated by chris b, it won't push more air.

Mr Foxen - that is exactly as I had thought which is why I was considering a 16ohm 2X10. Would you consider adding one would be beneficial (obviously, I will gain something just by getting more headroom from the amp) but is this going to give a decent improvement...?

Incidentally, the amp head is rated at 250W into 4ohms.

Cheers
[/quote]

Between more speakers and bit lower impedance you'll get a bit more. But the nicest thing is the modular 2x10, 4x10 or 6x10 setup you'll have.

[quote name='StraightSix' timestamp='1324253907' post='1472359']
....Incidentally, the amp head is rated at 250W into 4ohms....
[/quote]
[size=4]What is the rating of your 410? I think you might get more "poke" out of the 410 if you just upgraded to a more powerful amp.[/size]

I`m not very good on the technical stuff, but I had an Ampeg 410 and 210, both 8 ohms, connected to a 500 watts at 4 ohm amp. For practice I just used to use the 410. At gigs, adding the 210 made a world of difference. Not so much in volume, as I kept that the same, but the "size" of the sound. Probably helped being that bit higher up too.

I used to have a 1x15 and a 2x10 Ashdown rig. This had now become a 1x15 Barefaced Compact rig which sounds pretty much the same in terms of "volume" and weighs 12kg compared to 56kgs for the two Ashdown cabs and occupies approximately 1/3 of the space in the back of my estate car. It's also cleaner and much more defined tone across the whole range.

I'm awaiting delivery of a second cab, not because it's necessary to keep up with the two guitars, but because 2 Compacts will be be an awseome combination!

The BF Sper 12 might be worth investigating, but get in touch with Alex at BF who is completely brilliant at customer service.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1324256065' post='1472376']
Pushing air isn't about the number of drivers, it's about their displacement. Keep the car, get a high displacement Barefaced.
[/quote]

Yep. Get a couple and a smaller car, petrol savings will pay for the second speaker, especially as you can now share it to rehearsals/gigs!

A 4 ohm 4x10 would get the most out of your amp without adding extra cabs. You're probably getting about 150w max running at 8 ohms. However watts isn't everything as people have said. If you can afford a BF cab Alex is super helpful, and there's lots of good info about watts and cabs etc. on his website too.
If not I'm thinking of selling my SWR 4ohm 4x10 very soon...