Why become a member? ×

battery low voltage indicator

Al Heeley

not so much an effect but a request for help - I want a small circuit i can put inside my gecko bass which checks battery voltage (9v pp3 drives the SD Basslines pickups)
I have a small red LED which lights when the jack plug is inserted, its a sort of reminder to tell me its still drawing current. I want the circuit to kick in when the battery voltage falls below about 7.5v, so the LED doesn't light up any more. This will indicate to me when the battery needs changing.
Any ideas?

I saw a bass once with a small LCD screen with the battery condition displayed on it. Being LCD, the current draw was so small a 9v battery would have powered it for years longer than in comparison to the draw of the preamp. I mention this as it could be something to take in to consideration. I'm not sure who produced the LCD, but certainly your idea is something I'd like in my basses.

Edited by dood
Autocorrect ruining my grammar!

I put together a little circuit last night that lights red when the battery falls below a set level - it has a mini trim pot so you can set the trigger voltage where you wish.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/alheeley/6525394351/][/url]
I just want to take this one stage further to have a bicolour LED that stays green when the battery is above 7.5V, then goes red when below 7.5 to show the battery is running out. The 7.5 is my arbitrary level, you can set this at whatever is appropriate - just wait till your preamp sounds like its starting to break up, then check the voltage and set the circuit accordingly. One single bicolour LEd would be very unobtrusive on a bass body, and the current drain should be minimal.
All I have to do now is figure out how to do it. Zener diode route is another (passive) option, but not fully figured that one yet.

cheers, got a mini push-switch on order, then you can just press the button to check battery state, rather than having an LED or circuit draining charge all the time.
John East's little unit is far more elegant using a tiny pulse of light flashing when battery falls below the programmed level to stay economical with current drain, but this should fit the bill for my gecko.

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1324249554' post='1472315']
cheers, got a mini push-switch on order, then you can just press the button to check battery state, rather than having an LED or circuit draining charge all the time.
John East's little unit is far more elegant using a tiny pulse of light flashing when battery falls below the programmed level to stay economical with current drain, but this should fit the bill for my gecko.
[/quote]

that's a fab idea, and every bit as elegant as John's :)

OK here's mark III, uses a bicolor LED with common ANODE centre leg.
6.2V zener diode, 2 general purpose npn transistors such as 2n3904. Just double check the leg config if you're using a different type.
One side of the LED will light up when the battery volts are above 6.9V, the other side lights up when battery volts fall below 6.9V. Get yourself a green/red bicolor LED and you are in business.
Shove a small push-to-make test button on after the battery then you can quickly check your battery status between songs or gigs.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/alheeley/6554306733/"][/url]

Edited by Al Heeley

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1324566125' post='1475683']
OK here's mark III, uses a bicolor LED with common ANODE centre leg.
6.2V zener diode, 2 general purpose npn transistors such as 2n3904. Just double check the leg config if you're using a different type.
One side of the LED will light up when the battery volts are above 6.9V, the other side lights up when battery volts fall below 6.9V. Get yourself a green/red bicolor LED and you are in business.
Shove a small push-to-make test button on after the battery then you can quickly check your battery status between songs or gigs.

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/alheeley/6554306733/"][/url]
[/quote]

Nice!

• 3 months later...

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1324725892' post='1477326']
errrrrrrrrr........ how would this do for those of us who use 18V - or would it?
G.
[/quote]This is difficult since such professional circuits are built using micro-power comparators and they usually work only up to 12V. There are two workarounds:
1. monitor only one battery and assume that the voltage or the other one is simmilar. This is very good assumption since the current drawn from the second battery is the same as from the first one.
2. buy 2 circuits and monitor each battery separately.

I plan to build such a circuit next month. If I get good results, I will present it here.

Mark

• 8 months later...

Now I think that for 18V (2x9V battery) it is better to have two circuits and monitor each battery separately. It's because of the fact that with this configuration you can use a new battery (9.6V) with older one (e.g. 8.5V). With one circuit monitoring 18V you would replace two batteries even if only one of them needs to be replaced. But the main purpose of such a circuit is to avoid battery replacement when it is not necessary.
Here is the circuit I built. It consumes only 30 microampers when it blinks (when it's not blinking it's much less). It's due to the fact that it blinks only for few miliseconds within a second. It starts blinking when battery voltage drops below 8V.

Edit: I'm not able to attach a picture of the circuit. There is something wrong with both basic and flash uploaders. I'm getting an error "No file was selected for upload" but the file is selected. It's in jpg format - I assume that this format is allowed.

Mark

Edited by MarkBassChat