Why become a member? ×

Recommend me a band......... again!

TRBboy

Thanks for all the responses to my previous thread regarding funk-rock.

I'm now on a quest for GREAT funky, groovy, smooth basslines. To give you an idea of the sort of thing, obviously I love Jamiroquai, I've been listening to incognito and brand new heavies, I've just found out about snarky puppy, and I love the bass playing on some of the gospel stuff (kirk franklin, etc).

Any thoughts?

Edited by TRBboy

The best CD I bought recently was Look Out, Watch Out by Deep Street Soul (funky, retro and soulful).

Keeping in the Jamiroquai/ BNH vein how's about some Omar, Maxwell, JTQ (James Taykor Quartet), Roy Ayers, Donald Bryd, Beverley Knight, Raphael Saadiq, plus a bit of the more soulful side of Q-Tip maybe?

Other than Curtis Mayfield, if we are going back to 70's funk don't forget Isaac Hayes (Black Moses and The Man! Ultimate Isaac Hayes CDs are both great), or maybe a little Mille Jackson, Blackbyrds, Ohio Players, Slave or moving into the 80's for some smoother basslines; Kleeer (check out Intimate Connection which 2Pac heavily sampled on California Love) or some Loose Ends...

Thanks for all the responses guys! Some good suggestions there. I'm sure I've got a Curtis Mayfield "Best Of" CD somewhere....... I'll have to find it! I think I definitely to get some Isaac Hayes, and some Me'shell too.

I was listening to Erykah Badu "Baduism" earlier; what a great album it is! Some nice bass parts, several of which are on DB. Smooth.....