Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT-3 Pro USA, far too quiet? HELP?!?!?!

DudleyPowell

Alright guys, completely new here, in need of some advice, if you would be so kind to lend me your eyes for the next few seconds.

I've recently acquired a SVT-3 Pro USA, a 210 and 115, both USA as-well.

They both run 200w at 8ohms.

At a bedroom practise level, i have the gain at around 3'oclock, and the master v at about halfway, this to me seems awfully quiet for practise levels, believe me I wouldn't want to get noise complaints.

I've just switched from a LmIII and a 400w GK cab, could it be me overestimating things, or does it need to be looked at.
I'm heading out on tour in a month or so and am concerned it wont be quiet enough in larger venues.

Thanks guys!

[quote name='Wooks79' timestamp='1323915474' post='1468714']
The best tip I ever got when I owned an SVT-3 Pro = Gain on full at all times and work from there.

Never ever had volume qualms.
[/quote]

Yep, the above is what Ampeg recommend to do, in the manual for this amp.

Another thing you can do is, if you`re not using the graphic, select it, and just boost the volume on that, keeping all other sliders in the "flat" position.

Yeah I mean, im well aware of how to make it louder with the eq and such, I'm really just asking is this a normal volume?
I imagine at even small gigs i'll need to blast the thing on full, which will sound amazing but when I get to bigger shows . . .

Is this the right cab pairing for the head? I love the option of having 2 cabs, but I cant help but think I should get something at 4 ohms.

[quote name='DudleyPowell' timestamp='1323914423' post='1468710']
I've recently acquired a SVT-3 Pro USA, a 210 and 115, both USA as-well.

They both run 200w at 8ohms.
[/quote]
[quote name='DudleyPowell' timestamp='1323955215' post='1469111']
Is this the right cab pairing for the head? I love the option of having 2 cabs, but I cant help but think I should get something at 4 ohms.
[/quote]
by using the two cabs you have you are already running at 4 ohms!

Two 8 ohm cabs should get a decent kick out of it - I used to use the 410HE and the 15E, never had problems with volume, although I felt the 15 was a bit lacking. I much prefer it with the 610 I replaced them with.

Just looked at the picture and seen it's the older model, don't know if there's much difference between that and the newer ones. I'd check it out at band volumes as soon as you can in case there is something wrong that needs fixing.

I've only had it a few days, will be playing live early Jan so will have something real to go on by then.

Ah i see, so im running this head at 450 watts, yet its gain and master are halfway for practise levels?

The lm3 was 300w at 8 ohms (had an 8ohm cab), and that was considerably louder, this is what makes me think something us up?
Also, can anyone explain the occasional crackle im getting?

[size=4]I used an Ampeg SVT3PRO for years and it was as loud as any 500 watt amp through my 2 Mesa Boogie cabs.[/size]

[size=4]I had the gain at 12 o'clock, all the buttons were out (if you've pressed the db pad button it'll cut something like 15db off your volume), everything else was at about 1 o'clock. The master was at 4-5 o'clock. I didn't use the eq but there is a volume slider to the right hand side which you can push up to get more volume.[/size]

Do you use -15db pad for active basses? Don't!
You might want to try old "3pro trick" - master full and use gain to control volume.

This amp should give PLENTY of volume, there must be something wrong, I think you should check the tubes or go to the technican...