Why become a member? ×

How on earth do you pick a Fender Precision?

SebCarr

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1323934861' post='1468751']
Completely agree - I feel the same about the jazz neck on my Kingman acoustic; it'd feel much more natural (and probably more like an acoustic bass) if it were a P neck. Guess it's like women.. too skinny just ain't attractive ;)
[/quote]

Actually it's a Jazz neck that feels more like an acoustic, but, judging from your use of the word "probably" maybe it's been since you played an acoustic? Just wondering because the nut width on an acoustic bass is 1.5 inches as is a Jazz. The classic P bass is 1.75 inches, then there a bunch that are an inch and 5/8's.

[quote name='DavidCertain' timestamp='1329365105' post='1541338']
Actually it's a Jazz neck that feels more like an acoustic, but, judging from your use of the word "probably" maybe it's been since you played an acoustic? Just wondering because the nut width on an acoustic bass is 1.5 inches as is a Jazz. The classic P bass is 1.75 inches, then there a bunch that are an inch and 5/8's.
[/quote]

I guess it's all about personal experience - mine is of acoustics like the Takamine TB240 (1.67") and Tanglewood TW155 (1.69"), so when I picked up the Kingman, I found it to feel not only thin compared to my Precisions, but also thin compared to other acoustics that I'd played in the past. Given that even little old me who doesn't actually like acoustic basses, never tries them for fun in shops and only owns one out of necessity, can offer up two examples from memory where the nut width isn't 1.5", maybe your unequivocal assertion that it is needs a little work?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1324074564' post='1470718']
If you liked the MIM 50s, try a Road Worn. Virtually the same bass, but much more comfortable due to the fake relicing. Just like those comfy old jogging bottoms that are knackered beyond belief, but feel so comfy. I`m not a fan of fake relicing, but I am a fan of these basses.

[/quote]

Strangely I preferred the MIM 50s Ps that I've played to the Roadworn Ps; I ahve no idea why but for seome reason they played and sounded better to me. Set-up maybe?

My fave new Ps that I've played in recent years have all been MIM 50s. Have to say my favourite Ps full stop have always been lightweight '70s ones with maple necks and DiMarzios. Every one of those I've played (several) has rocked. If I ever get a P again (probably doubtful due to foream contour issues) it'll get a DiMarzio.

[quote name='SebCarr' timestamp='1324068545' post='1470628']The biggest surprise was the Affinity (black, rosewood). What a bass for £180! Light, nice neck, sounded, looked and played like a P. Looks a little cheap and wimpy pups but really impressive. But I don't [i]want[/i] one. If that was the only thing on offer it'd be fine, but it's not! All I know so far is an Affinity is too cheap and cheerful
[/quote]

:blink: So if the Affinity cost £500 you'd buy one?! :lol:

I know what you mean though. But for the price of a decent pickup upgrade (which could be as little as £20!) you could a have a bass that plays well, sounds good and looks fine!! Oh, and about £600 to spend on other stuff... :D

Hey man,

I too am currently in the same predicament - without the added factor of the US made basses due to cost. If it helps, i've more or less settled on a standard mexican made :)
I was made aware on this here forum of the inconsistency that still permeates the US basses. I played a couple squiers and MIM's a couple days ago and though the squiers sounded great, there was a smoothness to the MIM which i warmed to.
Plus i was of the philosophy that the next bass i buy i plan to keep for quite some time, so i figured i should go for the Fender, i think i'd end up wanting one again in a couple years if i dont get one now!

The main problem with trying out basses side by side in a shop is that they will all be setup differently. No shop is going to go to the length of setting all their basses to the same amount of relief, same string height etc,.

Whatever bass I buy I always spend 30 minutes messing with it to get it how I like it (lowering nut slots, lowering saddles, intonation, neck relief)
What's to say that by chance the cheapest P Bass was setup more to my liking that the most expensive which would cloud my judgement?

Obviously you can still hear and see the differences but may be mistaken in to discounting a bass because it doesn't play as well as another one.

[quote name='kerley' timestamp='1329483633' post='1543124']
Do you also walk straight past the real world on your way to the USA Standard models :)
[/quote]
Nope. USA Standard will do just fine. Will have "that" Precision sound which you can fake if you like, but only really comes out of a USA Standard P. If it's not set up right, then it can be fixed. Get your £1,000 or so out and welcome to the top table.

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1329483538' post='1543119']
There's no problem here. Walk along the rack past all of these Squier and Mexican things until you get to the USA Standard models. Choose which colour you want, plug in and rock. There is no substitute. No other bass will do.
[/quote]

This is ludicrous. I bought a MIM 50's and compared it with a MIM and 2 MIAs in the shop. Although the US parts seem to be better (although I absolutely love the BBOT classic groved saddle bridge), one of the US basses was utter crap - sounded completely dry and dead, and the other was just too modern sounding for my taste. Then there's the feel of the bass, the neck profiles are totally different, and my 50's is light as a feather.

Don't be fooled by fanboy hype, and don't play the 'fender lottery' (always try whatever's on offer).

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1329484408' post='1543151']
Nope. USA Standard will do just fine. Will have "that" Precision sound which you can fake if you like, but only really comes out of a USA Standard P. If it's not set up right, then it can be fixed. Get your £1,000 or so out and welcome to the top table.
[/quote]

You had me for a minute there as I actually thought you were being serious.