Why become a member? ×

Attaching Castors?

zig-zag

I've just bought some Castors for my Marshall MBC410. I can handle the weight easily, but being able to wheel it around would be a lot easier. My only problem is attaching the damn things to the cab. Is it just a case of drilling into the wood to put the scews in, or is there a better way to go about it?

Yep, simple screws are a waste of time.

I'd use standard bolts and self-locking nuts, all fixed through a metal plate on the inside of the cab to spread the load when the cab is (inevitably) rolled into something and the castors transfer all that sideways force onto their fixings.

T-nuts are probably easier to fit though, especially if access to the insides is restricted.

I attached mine with self-tappers on my Marshall MBC 410. Just made a little guiding hole with a nail first, before tightening the screws. Stayed firmly attached through all the gigs/rehearsals I did, no worries. I`ve also attached castors to a few other cabs in this way, and again, have had no problems.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1323532937' post='1464311']
I attached mine with self-tappers on my Marshall MBC 410.
[/quote]

That may be OK with a nice quality ply cab, but the Laney I put castors on was made of lightweight chipboard, and would have failed almost instantly.

edit - spillung.

Edited by Ancient Mariner

My Ashdown mag410 had castors fitted when I bought it, and one of them had caused the bottom of the cab to become wheatabix.
There was no load bearing plate.
I fitted some of MB1s famous local castors to my Ampeg 410 with T nuts and they`ve been great, and the cab is good enough to take the strain.