Why become a member? ×

Spraying a bass - without removing the bits?

Evil Undead

I'm thinking about giving my SR505 a fine mist of matte black. I will of course be removing the neck and bridge, but...

Although I'm capable of removing the electronics, I'm not capable of putting them back in!

Is it possible to mask these off carefully?

The bass won't be drenched, just a couple of fine mist coats to just about cover the mahogany.

Any thoughts?

I think you can remove and replace the knobs easily by either unscrewing the small fixing screw on each knob or by simple push-and-pull action if they have no fixing screw. I guess it is possible to mask the pickups; I'm not sure whether you'd be better off removing the back plate and carefully masking and protecting the electronics inside, though, rather than leaving the plate in place.

Afterthought: if you remove the knobs, you will still be left with the potentiometers' stems to mask.

Edited by bluejay

Shouldn't be a problem - use low tak masking tape though or you'll be cleaning glue off for a week afterwards... :)

Knobs: undo small allen key grub screw and they just slide off, wrap a little bit of masking tape around the pot shafts just to keep them clean.

Pickups: slide masking tape down into the gap between the body and the pup, fold excess over the surface of the pup and then cover the rest with more masking tape.
The pickup cavities don't run directly into the electronics cutout so the chances of paint getting inside are pretty minimal.

Jack socket: depends which version 505 you have. Older models used side mounted sockets, newer ones use front mounted ones (I think!)
Just mask it off, but do a really thorough job here - you don't want paint getting in there!

Bridge: When you take the bridge off you'll find a scrap of bare wire under it - make sure you mask the wire off completely and mask off the hole (you won't see that missed area once the bridge is back on anyway!).

btw it may be possible to remove the electronics without any cutting or de-soldering. Take the knobs off, then just unscrew the pots with a wrench holding them carefully from the cavity. Be careful not to lose the cable connecting the electronics to the bridge!. Close the cavity again and stick some tissue in the pot holes. Mask the pickups and do the spray action.