Why become a member? ×

Couple of Q's. Can thy help??

bubinga5

Hey people, just a quick couple of questions. I am going to replace the Seymor Duncans in my Jazz, for Nordstrand split coils. Can anyone tell me if this an easy thing to do. What wiring is involved? Im quite handy with a soldering iron!!
Secondly im experimenting with different strings and im looking for a string that is little easier to bend, lighter, and not so tight on the bass. Does thy look for different gauges????
i guess im looking for a more supple string..

Thanks in advance...

Edited by bubinga5

It's an extremely simple job to replace your pickups if you're familiar with a soldering iron. Just unscrew your old pickups, de-solder the joint and connect the same wire to your new pickup and screw it in. 5 minutes work!

As for your string predicament - have you tried using a lighter gauge? Some players like using strings as light as 95-35 gauge, which (by and large) feel looser and require a softer touch from your picking hand.

Hope this helps!

Danny

Changing your jazz p'ups for split coils? That could be difficult, you'd have to re-route the body for that and i wouldn't do it unless you've had experience with this before or if you get a pro to do it. You'd also have to get a custom pickguard cut. I wouldn't imagine wiring that would be too hard if you know what you're doing though.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='165508' date='Mar 28 2008, 07:58 PM']Changing your jazz p'ups for split coils? That could be difficult, you'd have to re-route the body for that and i wouldn't do it unless you've had experience with this before or if you get a pro to do it. You'd also have to get a custom pickguard cut. I wouldn't imagine wiring that would be too hard if you know what you're doing though.[/quote]
The coils are split, but they are still the standard jazz size.

As for strings I lke the lovely floppy rubbery feel of Thomastik JF344 on my fenders, but not everyone appreciates flatwounds.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='bubinga5' post='165141' date='Mar 28 2008, 12:57 PM']Hey people, just a quick couple of questions. I am going to replace the Seymor Duncans in my Jazz, for Nordstrand split coils. Can anyone tell me if this an easy thing to do. What wiring is involved? Im quite handy with a soldering iron!!
Secondly im experimenting with different strings and im looking for a string that is little easier to bend, lighter, and not so tight on the bass. Does thy look for different gauges????
i guess im looking for a more supple string..

Thanks in advance...[/quote]

All other things being equal a string based on a round core rather than a hexagonal core will feel more supple at the same guage.

I think D'addario amongst others offer round core and I think that Newtone strings in Derbyshire would be helpful as they offer their strings i both core types. Weblink below.

[url="http://www.newtonestrings.com/bass_page.htm"]http://www.newtonestrings.com/bass_page.htm[/url]

Pickups - no problem (as long as they fit!). As for the strings, not knowing what type/guage you're using, but I'd +1 on the Thomastik flats on a Jbass, really great tone and a very flexi feel (but not if you're going for a Marcus sound..). Also DR Sunbeams - nickle rounds, pretty flexi and a very good all-rounder. They're expensive (don't buy in the UK?) but last for a while.

BB

I use DR Hi Beams and Lo Riders, I find the Hi Beams to be very supple and the Lo Riders are good for hittin' hard.
They last for ever.
A person of your calibre should have no problem following the wiring diagram.
DR Hi Beams but get them from the States, Mymusicstuff, I think, ebay shop.

[quote name='steve-soar' post='214560' date='Jun 7 2008, 07:21 PM']I use DR Hi Beams and Lo Riders, I find the Hi Beams to be very supple and the Lo Riders are good for hittin' hard.
They last for ever.
A person of your calibre should have no problem following the wiring diagram.
DR Hi Beams but get them from the States, Mymusicstuff, I think, ebay shop.[/quote]

Sorry - I meant DR rather than D'addario for round core ( vs hex core ). Although for all I know D'addario may do them as well.
DR Hi-Beam = Round Core
DR Lo-Riders = Hex core
which tallies with opinions on these strings above.