Why become a member? ×

Amazing how people in a room change the sound

thumperbob 2002

Just back from a gig and noticed in soundcheck something I have experienced before but never really appreciated. Bought a wireless set so I could soundcheck the band so out I went. Levels seemed fine eq ok on all but the bottom end. Didn't seems an awful lot of it.

Overall levels of band were fine. Just that I was not happy with the sound from the bass. I use a low end jazz 5 string with a bass pod ( only really for compression and tuner ) little mark and Schroeder 2 x 12. Mega loud and all the band go through the pa which tonight was a 2k rig.

Funny room stage just a step up. Quite wide.

I mix the sound on stage and normally our keyboard player goes out and sets levels etc. However since I now have a wireless set ( don't really like them but for sound checking its great ) I thought I would sort it. I owned a recording studio in the 80 s and think I know a bit about sound.

Was a bit disappointed with the bass. But knew we were nearly at the point where the rig couldn't take any more tweaking.

So I left it and played the gig.

Bear in mind there were no bodies in the room on soundcheck.

After the second set a pal of mine came up to me ( pro musician ) and complimented me on my bass sound - basically said it was superb. Amazing what a few people do to your tone.

Well,it makes sense when you consider that top end frequencies are very directional and stay that way usually,but low frequencies are all over the place all the time, and they bounce about a lot too.
Once you have a couple of low frequencies coming back at the p.a area slighlty delayed and possibly out of phase you`re f***ed :)
You all know what this sounds like, no definition, wooly and indistinct kik and bass,no real presence.
So the minute you put soft human shitbags in the way the bouncing is dramatically reduced and you get to hear the original source and not the reflections off the wallls and that nice parquet floor.

That is why a lot of sound engineers don’t a mix in the sound check also it is not uncommon for bands to play half hearted in a sound check which gives a completely different sound to the performance. I have often herd a band in the sound check a thought they were not very good but had to change my mind later.
Musicians take note there is little point standing in the middle of a venue shouting orders to the sound man.

Edited by ironside1966

of course, if you're playing some toilet in darkest West Mids and it's the band, the sound man, the bar man, the bar man's mate (cos he's got nowt else to do) and three punters, I don't suppose those low freqs are going to have all that much to bounce off and the sound...as Zep might say..stays the same

:)

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1322920621' post='1457305']
soft squidgy bodies wearing fabric clothes
[/quote]
Speak for yourself! I'm definitely not squidgy (I'm really quite pointy) and my clothes are made out of tin foil. :)

Edit:
[quote name='mart' timestamp='1322919461' post='1457292']
In the magazine Making Music ages ago I read that Dave Mattacks called the people at gigs MABs - mobile acoustic baffles. :)
[/quote]
Ha!

Edited by rOB

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1322927658' post='1457409']
The opposite happens with me. I get a sound I like and then a load of people come in and ruin it.
[/quote]
Think yourself lucky that "a load of people come in"; I'd love to hear what that sounds like. Perhaps it's my playing..?

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1322920081' post='1457299']
of course, if you're playing some toilet in darkest West Mids and it's the band, the sound man, the bar man, the bar man's mate (cos he's got nowt else to do) and three punters, I don't suppose those low freqs are going to have all that much to bounce off and the sound...as Zep might say..stays the same

:)
[/quote]

The high frequencies bounce off hard surfaces and are absorbed by soft surfaces. The low frequencies are omni directional and are not absorbed by soft surfaces.

Adding people reduces the top end meaning you can hear more bottom but also means you can push the overall volume up a bit.

Edited by TimR