Why become a member? ×

Need some advice please!

MarkG3

Hello everyone,

I have a Trace Elliot 4x10 and Trace 1x15, the question I have have is that I want to make things easier me to move it from the car to the venues so like pushing it all in one rather than lifting them seperatly. So would just adding casters to the bottom of one of the cabs then put the other cab on top and move it along to transport be simple to do? If so has anyone got any decent casters they can point me towards.

I have seen on google people appearing to the use the bottom half of a flight case to put it in so there is no drilling going on.

What are peoples opinions on this?

I love my rig and just want to see if I could make things easier for myself as especially the 4x10 is pretty heavy and then theres my V6.....

Any help would be quality!

Mark

P.S New member!

[size=4]Add castors but your main meathod of moving these cabs should be a sack trolley, something like this:[/size]

[size=4][color=#333333][font=Arial]Wolfcraft QuickFold Hand Sack Trolley Truck HHS054 on Ebay for £50.[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by chris_b

I fitted a set of these to an old 410 I had, and from there, could put the 210 on top, and wheel it about no worries:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-Multi-Use-Castors-4-Blue-Wheels-Caster-/120426485789?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Rack_Cases_MJ&hash=item1c09fa581d

These are much better than the stock castors you get with cabs. Those are usually fine on flat surfaces, but put them on gravelly car parks and they judder all over the place. These things are like Arnie, they eat gravel for breakfast!

Machine Mart do a decent range of wheels, as well as ready-made dolly boards. Worth a look if you want to actually walk into a shop and handle stuff to get a feel for what's going to work best, rather than ordering online. They do some that whilst small and solid, are a bit more of a rubbery compound and work better when you hit rough and uneven surfaces.

Thanks a lot for all the replys. If I was to head down the caster route would it be a case of drill a few holes and screw them in - obviously making sure everything is lined up.

The sack trolley seems the 'easiest' in terms of not having to drill anything and same with the dolly board although at the moment the board seems to be the most ££

I think the trolley and straps seem the best option

Edited by TraceElliotBass

I would bolt them in. I had castors screwed on my SWR 4x10 for about 3 days, then loading out of a gig - one of them caught a step and came off taking a nice chunk of plywood with it! Cab repaired, I bolted them in with 1" washers either side of the wood to spread the load. They haven't come off since. If you're going this route I would say the larger and softer the wheels are the better. that way you don't get hung up on cracks in the pavement etc. and some of the shock is absorbed. Try to get some with brakes on too to stop the cab going walkabout on an uneven stage :)

[size=6][sup][quote name='Ed_S' timestamp='1322739228' post='1455059']
Machine Mart do a decent range of wheels, as well as ready-made dolly boards. Worth a look if you want to actually walk into a shop and handle stuff to get a feel for what's going to work best, rather than ordering online. They do some that whilst small and solid, are a bit more of a rubbery compound and work better when you hit rough and uneven surfaces.
[/quote][/sup]
[sup]I would suggest a dolly board as the cheapest, easiest route - a decent flat length of 1" thick marine ply with a 4" rubber-tyred castors near each corner.[/sup][/size]

Edited by StraightSix

Yes, whatever decision you make, make sure the wheels are rubbery, and not too hard/brittle. The rubbery ones just skim along rough concrete no worries. The rubbery ones I recommended actually make my cab go faster than my car. Well not really, but you see where I`m coming from.