Why become a member? ×

Can anyone paint my bass?

Ben Jamin

Hi :)

Just wondered, since I know a load of you guys build basses etc, if anyone could paint/finish my P-bass?

I've been meaning to finish off this project of mine for ages but was put off when I sprayed on the first white undercoat and I found out how difficult getting a good finish is! I'm not confident I'd make a great job of it and I'd like to look as good as possible!

It's an Encore, my first bass, and I've been hoping to re-build it into something awesome. I've bought all the replacement hardware and made an attempt at re-shaping the headstock Tele-style. It's been knocked around a bit over the years so it could do with some wood-filling and sanding in places.

So I've got Vintage White x1 and Light Tint Gloss x2 nitrocellulose finishes from Manchester Guitar Tech left - I'd like a white body and if possible a matching headstock :)

I'm in Lincoln - local would obviously be preferred but I could probably find a way to post it otherwise.
Please quote me! :)
Cheers!

Edited by Ben Jamin

My build thread shows some basic problems and solutions. I used Tonetech pre-cat nitro. I got a very good finish for the most part. Yours will be easier since it's already sealed I assume.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/94028-chris-squire-electra-evolution/page__view__findpost__p__959444"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/94028-chris-squire-electra-evolution/page__view__findpost__p__959444[/url]

I painted one of my basses - first time I have ever tried anything remotely like it since I covered my old Raleigh bike in metallic purple about 40 years ago. :)

Made a right pigs arse of it, tbh, but it is a whole lot better than it was - gone from an appalling orange peel finish candy apple red to vaguely glossy black and the previously badly painted headstock is now natural with a new decal. Ultimately I found it immensely satisfying and, having got so intimate with the various bits and bobs of the bass, I feel I have bonded with it big time. I also feel I have a vastly greater understanding of how these things are put together. I say go for it! You have nothing to lose. Well, other than resale value, self-esteem and perhaps a relationship.