Why become a member? ×

John east P bass preamp

chese336

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1322250823' post='1448712']
I have heard a very well respected luthier say that he was less than impressed with the East P-Bass circuit (he thought that it was too 'fiddly')!

However, I have a East j-retro deluxe in a jazz, which is just awesome.....
[/quote]

It's a very elegant solution to a complex problem, and therefore required an innovative approach to the controls when compared with circuits for basses that have more space/control options. Once you get used to it, the P-Retro is however an intuitive and versatile preamp.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1322250823' post='1448712']
I have heard a very well respected luthier say that he was less than impressed with the East P-Bass circuit (he thought that it was too 'fiddly')!

[/quote]

Interesting comment - for me the selling point of the P-Retro is its simplicity. Just two knobs (boost/cut and sweep) and you're never more than half a second away from a useable tone.

Perhaps your luthier was referring to the wiring?

Like a swan, perhaps - all the action is below the water.

I have a P-Retro fitted to a pimped Westone Thunder Jet that has Kent Armstrong pups and it changed a fairly ordinary plinky sounding bass into a tone monster. And where I think it scores heavily is the built in rechargable battery. Genius - no routing. I had this originally fitted by a luthier mate and he commented on what a quality piece of kit it was. He particularly liked the soldering, he said.

I also have a custom J-retro that Nigel (silddx) had made for his Squire-a-like machine but then moved on. I fitted it into a Fender Precision Lyte and it is hard to describe what an improvement it has made - just totally expands and articulates the sounds available.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1322300265' post='1448991']
Interesting comment - for me the selling point of the P-Retro is its simplicity. Just two knobs (boost/cut and sweep) and you're never more than half a second away from a useable tone.

Perhaps your luthier was referring to the wiring?
[/quote]
No, he was referring to the whole unit - he had done some work on a P bass with one fitted and wasn't impressed. As I understand it (from from the JE demo video - I've never come across one) the knobs are not quite that simple to use

Just one man's opinion, albeit one who really knows his stuff! As I said, I am really impressed by the East curcuit on my jazz......