Why become a member? ×

JAZZ - USA deluxe or not ?

jjay69

I've come to the conclusion that nothing sounds like a Jazz..... therefore... i want one ! Besides theres a gap in my mini
Fender related collection of P Bass, Stingray and G&L.

I've done a bit of homework recently and based on my requirements, like colour, block inlays essential, non Mex, possible Jap but lack of choice etc i'm seriously looking at the American Deluxe.

My question is .. if i go for the American Deluxe with all the bells n whistles will i still get that famous "Jazz"
tone with it's clear midrange punch with the "Pan pot" p'up selector ? I tried a couple of standards
and that great sound was there with both p'ups on full, i can't help wondering if i will get the
same with the Pan Pot on the Deluxe ?

I really like the Active option as my other basses are active and i find the range of sounds a useful tool in different situations.
The tone choices on the G&L are fantastic but not quite a Jazz.

Does anyone have one who can confirm or deny my thoughts ? or indeed any other Jazz suggestions

btw Im impulsive and I have my eye on one and if im not careful it'll end up at my front door any day now ! !

Ta J

I had an American deluxe jazz and it did sound very good. Pretty much like a passive jazz to my ears with the additional flexibility of the preamp. Mine was an older one though, not the current range.

Don't write off the MIM classic 70s jazz with bound and blocked neck. I have one but I also have an American Vintage 75 reissue jazz and there's little difference between them considering the extra £1000 you'd pay new for the US bass.

I'd honestly be happy to keep the MIM and sell the US if I had to reduce the collection. The MIM really is that good.

Frank.

There are some interesting comments about the new American Deluxe on this post - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160543-201011-american-deluxe-fender-ps-and-js-experience/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/160543-201011-american-deluxe-fender-ps-and-js-experience/[/url]

Fantobass001 comments about the pan pot vs standard VVT layout in the third post down.

I've had quite a few Jazz's over the years & much prefer the extra scope of the Deluxe over the std passive Jazz's. I let my 73 Jazz go in preferance to my US Deluxe.Tonally I can get the passive Vol/Vol/Tone sound on the Deluxe with the vol/pan & tone pots but much more too if required with the active eq. I also find the build quality with the US Deluxe's are superb. The US Deluxes have had quite a few different active eq's & pickups fitted to the range since their concept in the mid 90's. First in 1995/6 they had the John Suhr 9v eq & large 4 pole pickups, John was then running the r&d side of Fender. Then around 99 Fender introduced a new 18v eq with Vintage Noisless Pickups followed in 03/4 by the Sumarium Cobolt Noisless pickups & by 2010 a completly new 18v eq with N3 pickups. They all have their own different voices & you realy need to check them out to find which one suits you. The 18v eq has loads of boost & cut in all the bass,mid & treble to give you endless choice of tones & that will cut through any live sound. The early John Suhr 4 pole pickups I found to be a bit weird especially if you realy bend the strings as the volume reduces as you move the string away from the single pole & you had to be very precise on getting the exact pickup height right but I realy did like the 9v eq. My current Jazz is a 96 Cusom Shop US Deluxe with the 9v John Suhr eq but upgraded with the Vintage Noisless pickups. You might also want to check out any Quilt/Flame maple toped US Jazz's too as these have the same pickup/eq arangement as the US Deluxe's.

I was playing one today and felt the midrange control was a bit redundant but then it was possible to get the right tones fairly quickly using my hands and only tweaking the treble/bass controls slightly. It was also quite heavy, not sure if I'd want to stand with it around my neck for 3 hours :S
Otherwise great instrument, looks sexy as f**k too :)

A US standard jazz was my main bass since 1997 until a few months ago. I sold it after discovering Sandberg.

I've got nothing against Fenders, but my advice would be to try out some of the modern Jazz's, to see if they work for you. It is a classic design, but I think quite a few manufacturers have shown that it can be improved upon (although of course some of them cost a help of a lot more!) For similar money, i'd try to have a go on Sandberg, Clover, Mayones, etc, and see what you think.

Fender Jazz's have never been renowned for their 5 string B quality compared to the likes of Lakland 5's etc. As for heavy, you will get every range of weight in every model range so you need to check before buying if you want a light one & this is typical with most makes of bass. I tried a new 2010 US Jazz Deluxe at GAK when they first arrived in the shops & it was a very heavy one yet I've also played others that are light. Do your groundwork properly if your going to spend hard cash.

Owned a Sandberg J5 but switched to a passive Am Std Jazz 5. The Sandberg was great, but too active sounding for me. My Warwicks have that sound covered if I need it.

The Am Std came with a J-Retro for extra money but I asked the seller to put in the original circuit. In my opinion Fenders are meant to be solid, retro workhorses and passive is the way to go.

Edited by rjb

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys thanks for all your input, it was all duly taken into account. So here's the update.

Sitting at home is a beau-ti-ful American Jazz Deluxe, 4 string, sunburst, rosewood, in short the bass i've had in mind for many years but denied myself for far too long, why? as my old drummer mate says, your a long time dead ! (i know it's not wise to listen to drummers, but it's ok if you pick n choose wisely :)

I saw it online for £1095 and considering it was the perfect colour scheme and all the others i saw were around the £1400 i had to investigate further. The mouse practically clicked itself not long after speaking to the guys and i was £1095 lighter.

Before despatching they give it a thorough check over, changed the strings to my spec and did a full set up and inspection, which i though pretty decent. The day it was due to be sent i get a call saying they found an issue with the neck pickup. With a thumb rested on it, it was shorting or buzzing or something, so they would have to send it to Fender. Bugger, but ok lets get it sorted. Fender "repair" the problem and are about to send it back, but find the problem re-occurs. The shop tells them, ok sort it and fit a new pickup. Which was all done within a couple of days.

The bass turns up with me a couple of days later. Pretty good service overall i thought.

I can't help wondering if the reason it was cheaper in the first place was somehow related to this dodgy pickup, i may be wrong, who cares i now know i've got a perfect bass with brand new pickup for at least £300 less than a typical price, so i'd call that a result.

Sound and playability ! thats a whole new chapter which i won't bang on about now, lets just say i am one very happy chappie, who is just itching to turn up at the next practice and blow those fookers away with some seriously active shock and awe !! :)

Itch finally scratched...... until the next time............... !