Why become a member? ×

(2010/11) American Deluxe Fender Ps and Js - experience?

Musicman20

Hi I am selling mine (see the bass market)

Mine is a Jazz V (deluxe and american). Yes, it is awesome esthetically speaking and great to play (although I haven't played it a lot). Best out of factory setting ever experienced regarding neck, saddle and nut. Low action with no issue, no buzzing at all with the neck anywhere, I am impressed. The other basses I had or tried had often some issues, especially fender. It's just perfect,

Soundwise it's great too obviously, especially the passive side, the active side doesn't bring much to my ears despite the tonal possibility, it does impair a bit of the warmth and the personaliy of the sound (The active switch doesn't do that on my G&Ls).

I guess the only thing that some people may find strange is the knob that is supposed to balanced the two pic-ups, It shouldn't be a knobs for it doesn't allow different suttle mix like as if you had two volumes, It is either the neck pick-up , the two pick or the bridge pick up. If you wanted the bridge pick up mainly but with a touch of the neck one, the knob doesn't allow that. So in other wise a 3 position switch would do exactly the same and won't be as deceiving as a knob.

That's all I have to say, great bass. I'll miss her when she goes.

Cheers all. I should have mentioned, but you've guessed, that its the 2010/11 models im referring to. Ive owned and gladly sold a Precision Deluxe with the Humbucker which was, unfortunately, not that great at all.

Will probably stick to the standards and use the Tonehammer pedal as the 'pre' if needed.

That is a great looking bass... I'd have a decent tort plate on that first thing.
The thing about pre amps is that people might look for and expect extreme tone shaping whereas you really want to use it sparingly, IMO.

If I was in the market for another 5..I'd look closely at that...for sure, but I have J5's more than covered. s

I love the blocks.

Mines a '95 with the original Suhr pups (and mere dots). Sounds great to me, but I'm still struggling to get that classic Jazz sound - Seth Guthrie has the sound I'm after from his Custom Shop Deluxe. It has a very powerful sound if you dial it in right - not necessarily the reason to play a Jazz - short of my Stingray but plenty of body and weight. Massive range of tones from dub to telephone.

(If you want 'bridge pick up mainly but with a touch of the neck one' then just wind the knob 80% or so towards the bridge pickup. You get 20% neck pickup.)

My son, who is fast becoming a better player than me, played a Mexican deluxe at a well known shop and was absolutely blown away. So much so he didn't rest until he had enough to buy a s/h and hasn't put it down since. He doesn't have the source country snobbishness of his father, and, frankly, has a wonderful bargain. Might be worth a try, especially if you want a standard jazz body and can't go to the expense of the Custom Shop as it, apparently, has the same preamp.

(Just a note - the asymmetric body of any jazz is a pain on most stands, with the jack sticking out the bottom it becomes even more tricky. Hanging stands are best)

Edited by 4 Strings

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1321553244' post='1440619']
My honest opinion is that I didn't prefer them to the American Standard series. Didn't see the need for an active preamp on a classic design, to this date I still don't see the point. Like fitting a spoiler on a Bentley... or go fast stripes on a Jaguar.. if you see what I mean.
[/quote]Poss because they like the classic design look, but prefer a preamp sound.. .... The American standards are nice though..

I've got the Deluxe P. With D'Addario chromes on it's an absolute joy to play. I know there are some concerns about Fender's QC but I bought this unseen online and it's beautifully made - no issues at all. The preamp's fine and I agree that it's best used for subtle cuts and boosts - I generally use it with the bridge pickup - but for most of the stuff I play I end up using the bass as a passive P. I think there's still one for sale here for £800 - great price for a great bass.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1321619174' post='1441234']
The P is probably more interesting to me as its a full on P/J +active/passive setup but seems to retain the normal P characteristics.
[/quote]

Spot on - it's as versatile as you want it to be, but still does the P thing very well.