Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are Hartke quoted specs RMS or peak?

Adrenochrome

Hi Guys, I'm looking for a [i]slight[/i] upgrade from my Ashdown MAG 300r (valve pre, and hopefully a little bit more power).
At 4 ohms my current amp does 307 watts RMS and 500 peak - I know the Bugera for example quotes 550 watts peak (not much different).

So, does anyone know if Hartke specs are [b]RMS[/b] or [b]peak[/b]?

[I know that there are a lot of other considerations but this will help me :) ]

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1321532023' post='1440199']
A few more watts really isn't going to make an appreciable difference. Need to identify what is missing at current, and work from there. Usually it is the cab that is the limiting factor on volume, and 'lack of valves' is most cheaply remedied with hot glue and a wanted ad.
[/quote]

I play in a loud band in some [i]tiny[/i] pubs, so yes, lack of cab size is probably the main limiting factor - I sometimes only take my 2x10 which isn't very loud. I thought that a little bit more juice might help - I get the impression that it's the amp that's struggling rather them my cab farting when I just use my 2x10.

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1321530749' post='1440173']
....I'm looking for a [i]slight[/i] upgrade....
[/quote]
[size=4]That's not going to be worth the expense and effort. [/size]

[size=4]I use 2 112's in loud bands, 2 210's in very loud bands and either a 550 or 750 watt amp. I'm probably not that much louder than you, but getting a good sound is all about headroom. [/size]

[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1321536425' post='1440276']
....My options are fairly limited both in funds and how many/how big cabs I can take....
[/quote]
[size=4]Yep. It's the real world out there! [/size]

[size=4]You could probably improve your sound the most by using your current amp and getting a better, more sensitive cab to make the most of your watts. The Barefaced Compact has £100 off at the moment and would bury your 210 in a one for one shoot-out.[/size]

• 2 weeks later...

I dunno, id see if i could at least try a Hartke LH500 before id buy a new cab. When i first got mine, I plugged it in to my old cab and the resulting sound was so loud and unexpected that I fell of my stool (I sit in front of the cab) after doing my usual opening strum.! :)

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1322410162' post='1450493']
I dunno, id see if i could at least try a Hartke LH500 before id buy a new cab. When i first got mine, I plugged it in to my old cab and the resulting sound was so loud and unexpected that I fell of my stool (I sit in front of the cab) after doing my usual opening strum.! :)
[/quote]

Sounds like that scene in Back to The Future, Daz :)

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1322410162' post='1450493']
[/quote]

Almost! I got a HA3500 on ebay for a very good price, and it's really done a great job in the 2 gigs since :)