Why become a member? ×

Knebworth accommodation ideas?

stingrayPete1977

Bit of a tricky one to decide which topic to put this in but its gig realted more than anything rather than going for a day break. We have tickets for the RHCP and are thinking about staying in/near Knebworth the night of the gig? Set off early as its 125 miles from home and leave the car at a premier Inn or similar then go to the gig. Questions then, will that be worth our while, will it be an arse getting from the digs to the concert anyway etc etc? Any ideas welcome folks, Ta :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1321441666' post='1439071']
Isn't it traditional to take a tent, have someone pee on it while you're asleep and get your shoes and wallet stolen?
Rock And Roll! :)

Edit: [b]Maybe I'm thinking of Glasto.[/b]
[/quote]

You are thats why I have never been :) Its not a camping type of doo.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1321442113' post='1439077']
I've been to knebworth twice. First time it took 5 hours to get out of the car park, so you might want to consider just sleeping in the car! Second time, we parked somewhere in Stevenage and walked the mile or so to the park. That was a long time ago though.
[/quote]

My mate said last night I was being silly talking about it now as its not until June next year, every room is booked I have tried tham all!

I had a friend who's sister went before and stayed in a tent. On the first night she had her bag stolen, and on the next day, fell down a hole and broke her wrist. When he told us the story, he said that she had to go to hospital for an op, and spent the week being 'screwed and plated'!! :)

Not all bad news then?!!! :)

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1321449353' post='1439238']
I tried yell.com for bed & breakfast. The answers are for the better end of B&B, but I came up with this.

[url="http://www.bedbreakfast-stevenage.co.uk/"]http://www.bedbreakf...tevenage.co.uk/[/url]

Good luck,

Balcro.
[/quote]

Just checked the date, Booked up! :) Thanks anyway. They do have a single room but there is 3 of us going..............

For once i'm glad I live in stevenage! lol

If youve tried everywhere in Stevenage have you looked at Hitchin? Its about a 15-20min taxi ride from Knebworth house.

Alternativley how about parking in Stevenage and just walking across to Knebworth. Theres plenty of street parking if you dont mind a walk. Thats my plan, i'm going to park on that side of town and just take a 20min walk in as its only the otherside of the A1 junction 7.

[quote name='monkeynuts' timestamp='1321456615' post='1439391']
Yea i'm not sure what it's like getting out of the car park but for the last few big ones they have done there they have closed that junction of the A1 and dedicated a lane just for traffic in and out. So once you get out of the car park there hasn't been any major traffic issues.
[/quote]

I should clarify my '5 hours' story to confirm that was the time it took us to get [u]out[/u] of Knebworth park! The A1 itself was fine because, as you rightly say, the traffic management at that point was pretty good.

I think the basic problems is that people tend to arrive over a period of many hours but that they (mostly) all try to leave at once. In our case, parking was in various fields and I assume they let them empty one at a time because I remember not moving at all for hours at a time - literally not moving, not even crawling along. I guess it was just the luck of the draw where we found ourselves parked up when we arrived. Walking to Stevenage only takes about 20-25 minutes, which puts it into context.

But, I hasten to add that was back in 1986 so they might be better organised these days.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1321445455' post='1439149']
The RHCP gig is only a one night no camping affair so its going to be the 5 hour car park exit by the look of things!
[/quote]

Take some acid and wander around naked telling people how you kill donkeys with a cucumber.
Y'know... to pass the time. :)