Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

neck ding...bloody cats

Nyl

So then, I came home from work to discover a new cat in the living, it took one look at me and bolted, taking my bass with it.
Lucky for the cat I wasn't fast enough to catch it (the cat that is).

This has resulted in some unwanted remodelling, and I wonder what you folks think is the best option, is a repair viable or a semi repair (paper over the cracks style). It is right at fret making that somewhat on the sharp side.

So my question is...is there any hope?
oh yeah i should add its a trough neck, Peavey Grind, yes not very expensive but I like it a lot

If it were me, going for an invisible repair I'd remove an even strip between the frets and glue in a new strip of r/w.
If you weren't worried about hiding it you could always try some dark wood filler - perhaps drill some tiny holes and put some tooth-picks in them first to support the filler and help keep it in place.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1321448385' post='1439219']
do you still have the piece that became detached? a careful application of decent wood glue and clamping carefully in place and then cosmetic retouching afterwards should not be too problematic as long as the detached section is in one piece?
[/quote]
This would be my approach, if not possible Ou7shined's is all good advice.

And don't blame the cat. Bear it no ill will.

Edited by silddx

cheers for the responses,
the bit that came off was a crumpled mess of fibres.

I'm not sure about that Siddx, he comes into my home, eats my cats food (bleeding expensive prescription stuff too) and breaks my stuff. Ah well, whats done is done

[quote name='Nyl' timestamp='1321538814' post='1440339']
cheers for the responses,
the bit that came off was a crumpled mess of fibres.

I'm not sure about that Siddx, he comes into my home, eats my cats food (bleeding expensive prescription stuff too) and breaks my stuff. Ah well, whats done is done
[/quote]

I have the Smartflap thing.Opens only for chipped cats that you scanned in. Cost £60 but it keeps marauding Toms out. They used to sneer and at my pathetic magnetic flap,eat me out of home and traumatise my two boys.
Now it`s all "I fart in your general direction" from my two,and outraged shouts of dismay from the marauders.

Get some similar coloured wood, make sawdust, mix into two pack epoxy (or suprglue gel), apply carefully, then sand down after. On maple fingerboard with similar (but smaller) damage I just used supeglue gel. Not perfect looking but has stayed put for very long time. YMMV