Why become a member? ×

Fender PJ USA Precision **Luverly** - But On sold - Ta!!

dodgnofski

Well, I was hoping to hang on to this beauty - 'this time around' - (especially after having new strings & a pro set up - so it now once again plays like a dream) but something I've been after for a while has cropped up & this is the only piece of kit I own that would provide enough funds to buy it! In virtually mint condition - no dings, buckle rash etc - this is the very rare 'Hotrod' version of the USA Precision which has both the standard split Precision p/u AND a Jazz pickup at the bridge position - hence not only do you get the familiar 'industry standard' Precision 'thump' - but at the turn of the pan pot you also get all the Jazz growl you will ever need. Build quality & finish are at least not just 'as' good as both my American Standard Precisions I've owned but IMHO is probably even of a higher standard! & at least 'as good' as the the build quality of my old Custom Shop '59 Precision I used to own. Due to these beauties only being produced for two to three of years - or so I believe? - at the turn of the last Century + understandably once someone has one in their collection, they usually hang on to them - (if they can afford to do so of course) & therefore I don't think they come up for sale very often - or so I believe - again. Option of through body stringing, overwound split Precision & Jazz pickups. 30% lighter machine heads, volume, pan pot & tone pot & plays really well, with spot on intonation & it sounds so blinking fab - even acoustically, beautiful three tone sunburst without - as far as my old eyes can tell - any marks or blemishes - not bad for a 10 + year old instrument! High quality bridge with string spacing adjustment, beautiful flame maple neck -which feels very vintage to me + a lovely dark rosewood fingerboard - complete with Fender Gig Bag. Please excuse my dreadful photography - it looks a scrillion times better 'in the flesh' - oo-er missus!! buyer to pay for & arrange an insured courier of their choice?? Please note that if the item I'm hoping to buy gets snapped up - then I will more than likely withdraw this. If you want a try out, or have any questions, please PM me, or text or ring me on 07734 319983. I still have the original receipt for this when I bought it from The Bass Gallery **Please note that the true colour is nearer to the pic of the reverse of the body - which due to my useless photography was a fluke!

Edited by dodgnofski

I have one of these and another USA Standard P with a very similar serial number. The necks are HUGE clubs. As big as any Precisions you will come across. Makes 'em harder to play ...... but the effort is worth it as I'm sure that the neck is what gives it HUUUUUUUGE clank and rumble. Precision tone in spades. If you need a precision, get your money out and buy this bass.

Thanks for the nice comments, however - can't agree on the neck being 'huge'? - the neck profile on this is very slim in depth & a dream to play? plus having played a Jazz for 10 years - 'solid', I don't find the neck on this too disimilar - in fact, until I checked I thought it was the usual combination of a Jazz neck on a Precision body for a PJ configuration!

Width at the nut is 1.625" - neck radius is 9.5" & is a 'modern C shape' - the same as an American Standard - apparently??

All the best,

Tim

ps - is your AER combo as good as I've been told they are??

[quote name='dodgnofski' timestamp='1321307627' post='1437713']
ps - is your AER combo as good as I've been told they are??
[/quote]

Oh hell yeah. I'm currently mulling over buying a second one and use two as a gigging rig. You could just about do it with one - you could deffo do that with two. Even the non-musical wife popped her head round the door in the study the other day and said "hmmmmm, that's a very sweet-sounding thing. What is it." I'll post some vids soon.

Edited by mercuryl

[quote name='Bassulike66' timestamp='1321133557' post='1435834']
Purchased one of these last week off fellow BC member elcastillian, great basses and yes not many produced, production ran from 1999 to 2002.

Possible collectors in years to come....
[/quote]
you sure? I have a USA one too and it has a 2003 serial :)

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1321305388' post='1437672']
I have one of these and another USA Standard P with a very similar serial number. The necks are HUGE clubs. As big as any Precisions you will come across. Makes 'em harder to play ...... but the effort is worth it as I'm sure that the neck is what gives it HUUUUUUUGE clank and rumble. Precision tone in spades. If you need a precision, get your money out and buy this bass.
[/quote]
the neck on mine is far from HUGE....its cute and fast!!!!!!!

Hi, sorry - I'm only looking to take a cheaper, preferably headless Jack bass in p/x - unless someone has a nice headless Status - 'with a Trussrod' - then I could be really tempted + I can't 'get on' with maple fingerboards - sorry.

But thanks for your interest

Ditto, the neck on this one is also 'cute & fast' - I've played lots of Precisions over the past 40 years - oops - showing my age & even one's with wider necks than this - almost all of them - were quite slim from front to back to compensate for the 'extra' width & the only long scale Fenders I've played with 'thinner' necks are Jazz's?? - which according to the Fender website are just 0.125" slimmer than the Precision & have the same 9.5" radius - which explains why I thought this had a Jazz neck when I first played it?? I did have a Squier P/J a couple of years ago which did have what seemed to be a much 'heftier' neck - 'if memory serves' of course??

Edited by dodgnofski

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic looking bass!
I've been thinking about swapping out my '03 USA Jazz for one of these, but you're right, not many come up :)
If you were after a straight Jazz, I'd say lets talk haha.

Good luck though
Si