Why become a member? ×

Mighty Mite

tom1946

I have bought one for my Squier CV P Fiesta Red, it was exceedingly good and very very resonant. Fretwork was great too, I would give them a 9/10 only because they come with a cheapo plastic nut which is horribly white and sticks out like a sore thumb, I soon replaced it with a proper bone nut one and I was happy ever after.

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1321092769' post='1435256']
Cheers guys, it is for my CV Precsion in Fiesta red too :)

was the fit ok?
[/quote]

Like a glove, perfect in the pocket without gaps but... the trick is to drill the fixing screw holes properly, because I am not sure if you are aware, these don't come pre-drilled!

Place the new neck in the pocket and drive each pilot hole from the back of the body using a fixed perpendiclar drill that will go down straight in the hole and not at an angle and you're sorted ol' china.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

Hi Tom,

I bought a new maple/maple Mighty Mite Jazz neck off eBay a couple of years ago from an American seller & to be honest I was a little disappointed with it. The fret ends were really sharp in places & as someone else mentioned the nut is not the best.
Maybe I was just unlucky with mine, however there were no dead spots & it did fit my P Bass perfectly. It has also been on my Jazz & it fitted that well too.
Hope you get a good one!

[quote name='tazza1' timestamp='1321115531' post='1435554']
Hi Tom,

I bought a new maple/maple Mighty Mite Jazz neck off eBay a couple of years ago from an American seller & to be honest I was a little disappointed with it. The fret ends were really sharp in places & as someone else mentioned the nut is not the best.
Maybe I was just unlucky with mine, however there were no dead spots & it did fit my P Bass perfectly. It has also been on my Jazz & it fitted that well too.
Hope you get a good one!
[/quote]

I can explain... and this is not really a problem but these necks will once only sprout (as did mine and I forgot to mention it) i.e. the wood shrinks a bit and the frets stick out a little, it is not a defect, and more expensive basses do this too... all it needs is a gentle sanding (make sure to use some masking tape along the edge of the wood not to dig into it with the sand paper, and file away until the edges are smooth and not sharp anymore, you'll only ever need to do this once in the life of that neck.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I've got a couple on my FrankenPs and one on my Fenderbird, and they're great. The quality is a little variable - the first P was better than the second, and the Jazz was about in between, but generally very good and nothing a quick fret dress wouldn't sort out to top quality. For the money, they're terrific. I like a satin finish to a neck, so they suit me down to the ground. Sold my US Ps on the strength of them.

Thanks all, sounds like a good bet then.

GW, thanks for the advice on fitting, is the neck a tight enough fit to keep it still while you drill? what would you rest it on? What size drill?

Sorry for all the questions but I haven't done it before.

I had "problems" too with Mightymite J Bass neck just like Tazza1. The frets were poorly finished, sharp in some spots, a few frets were higher than others.
To be honest, I was a little dissapointed with the neck. It is more thick that the one I replaced and the frets... :)
Bought mine brand new so I was expecting a bit more.
The nice thing is that he fits my bass like a glove.
The nut is plastic (yes! plastic!) so IMHO it must be replaced ASAP.

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1321123717' post='1435662']
Thanks all, sounds like a good bet then.

GW, thanks for the advice on fitting, is the neck a tight enough fit to keep it still while you drill? what would you rest it on? What size drill?

Sorry for all the questions but I haven't done it before.
[/quote]

I used metal joiner clamps with foam pads and as for the drill bit... I'll be damned if I rememeber what it was. I took the bass to a mate workshop and tried a variety of bits starting from the thinnest one until the screw were tight as possible, it's not that hard really.