Why become a member? ×

RHCP Live at Slane Castle...!

bubinga5

Massive fan on Flea's early stuff up to BSSM.

Saw them at Hyde Park, Plux was with us (he was only ickle) and our youngest was in mums tum, brilliant gig, seeing JB before he left us was a huge highlight for me.

Cant really imagine RHCP live without John though, he was just the most incredible guitarist when he was on form, and the last album left me so cold I actually never bought it, which is unheard of in our house.....

My older sister was a bass player long before I was, so when I was young I was forever listening to her playing along to Chili Peppers stuff at full blast in her room. It was this that eventually inspired me to take up bass 10 years ago, so actually I have a lot more to thank Flea for than just his great music... if it wasn't for him, I might not even be still playing!

Every Friday, I used to come out of school, get on the school bus with my Walkman on and blast out BSSM as loud as I could turn it up to get hyped for the weekend. Brilliant!

After One Hot Minute I kind of stopped listening to them, although Californication had some great songs on it. But as for BSSM, it's not just a bass player's album, it's really just a great album full stop. In fact I'd easily put it up there with one of the greatest albums of all time, no question.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1321046090' post='1434951']
I'm looking forward to it now then mate, I'm liking the klinghoffers work so far anyway. *Excited*
[/quote]

I saw them on Saturday 12th in Glasgow.
I did not like the new album much, except for 3 tracks...
I had not big expectations...

But they were on top form.
They only played 4 from the new album. Two that I like (Ethiopia and Look around), one that I have mixed feelings about (Monarchy of roses) and one that bores me (The adventures of braindead maggie :)). They played mostly Californication onwards, with the exception of "Under the bridge", "Give it away" and "Higher ground". I wish they'd play some older stuff, but I enjoyed it a lot. the band sounded good. Kiedis can be hit or miss, but he had a great voice. Josh... hmmm, I didn't like much of what i heard on the album, but he is growing on me. I just wish he stoped imitating Frusciante and did his own thing. I don't think he is a bad guitarist at all, and he will probably do a better Josh and he does a Frusciante.
Some funky jams made me wish they had developed those into songs in the new album, I miss the funky side of them.
The highlight for me was Chad. Huge drummer. The duet with the brazilian percussionist was fantastic. I just love the way this guy plays. One of the very best drummers out there.
Flea was just Flea. You can't help smiling and feel his energy. I don't like the sound he had from those basses (Modulus and what looked like a Fleabass, but not like the ones in the shops...)... but he was good, as always, and he comes across as a genuinely down to earth -if slightly crazy- kind of guy... very likeable.

So... I think there may still be life in this band. I hope Josh ceases to be a Frusciante-copy and just does his thing, and that they get a new album soon (2012) with all the funk that was missing from this last one...

But regardless... saturday's was a good gig. I'm glad I saw them.

Saw them in Manchester last night, great, really enjoyed it!
Good mix of old and new tunes, I like the new album, really grown on me, and the new tracks are great live
I really like josh' playing, he isn't John for sure, but he fits well and he is bringing his style in, which is cool, for me it is much better than the last time they had another guitarist!
I ended up wrecked, late for work and my head is still not where it needs to be lol!

Had a problem with someone who looked like he was trying to dip my GF's pockets, he got dealt with swiftly (launched via his neck!) this is a known problem now at the MEN ( and I guess other venues) watch out as you leave, phones, cameras and wallets are going missing

Tony

Not much BSSM but awesome! Best they have been in years, Like others have said Keidis appears to be able to sing (well most of the time) quite well, He must be looking after himself and doing vocal workouts etc IMO and good on him as its much much better than before when live.
Flea is ace and makes me feel so old yet he is 15 years older than me! hand stands and walking on his hands as usual funny dancing, rocking out, brilliant!
His bass sound was ok in places and awful in others but its his choice from what I can tell? I dont like that overly overdriven sound he uses, it just sounds like a 30w amp farting out rather than a meaty valve drive IMO, it doesn't cut through particulary well either. I always think he would sound so much better if he just used a couple of EBBM SR5's throughout the night and cut the gain a little from his crazy rock out sound :) Ha, thats Flea told :)

Great gig though and I could almost feel like it was a build up tour and run through for an amazing full on Knebworth with DVDs being filmed etc, maybe in 20 years time BassChat will have a 'RHCP Live a Knebworth......!' Thread?

You know Im terrible with song titles and lyrics (I listen to Flea and Chad :) ) but Im thinking under the bridge and give it away were the only ones which they always played off BSSM?. Nice to hear soul to squeeze live though, thats a first for me I think. I will consult with the wife later as she is the expert here.

In 2004 I saw RHCP in Phoenix park in dublin, with about 100,000 other people. Even the huge screens were dots in the distance from the back. I swore id never see them again unless it was in a smaller venue (under 3000) which seems highly unlikely.

Edited by daz

The MEN isnt too big Daz I could see quite well and we only had seated tickets on the lower tier, maybe rear of the top tier would of been a bit poo but I could see well enough to notice none of Fleas cabs were mic'd up and have commented in the appropriate thread in amps and cabs where people want the audience to be able hear [i]their[/i] cabs!

Knebworth will be another story! More about the atmosphere and [i]being there [/i]IMO

i am lucky enough to be young enough to stand to watch a gig :)
I would never see any band in a stadium but the arena venues are fine, its easy to get within a few feet of the front of the crowd. I was about 2 metres from the barriers in front of flea the whole gig :). My favourite venue will always be good old brixton, well it was the astoria but then they knocked it down, sacrilige!!

Some where being let back in at the back, we could see them from the lower ties on Fleas side.

Did they do If you Have to Ask last night I cant remember but there was a mention on someone elses youtube clip and they said they had it. Thats another BSSM if they did......I wonder if there is a set list out there?......

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1321034271' post='1434726']
Just got this DVD.... wasnt really into alot of RHCP's until i saw this DVD... hadnt really listened to a huge amount... This DVD was a cracking purchase.. after a small blunt i watched this all the way through..

now i get how good Flea is..
[/quote]
That was probably the only RCHP gig I was at that wasn't a washout. Seen them 6 times and they've been pants at each. The Slane DVD makes them look a lot better than they were on the day.
If it wasnt for Flea there'd be no 'chillies, simple as.

was the day before when they played 6 BSSM numbers.

M.E.N. Arena, Manchester, UK 2011-11-14

Set list

Disc 1
01 Monarchy of Roses
02 Dani California
03 Charlie
04 Look Around
05 Otherside
06 If You Have To Ask
07 Can't Stop
08 The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie
09 Blood Sugar Sex Magik
10 Me & My Friends

11 Factory of Faith
12 Under the Bridge
13 Higher Ground
14 Californication
15 By the Way
16 Chad & Mauro Jam
17 Sir Psycho Sexy
18 They're Red Hot
19 Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
20 Give It Away
21 Final Jam

the 15th was more cali stuff

monarchy
dani
tell me baby
scar tissue
look around
she's only 18
can't stop
rain dance maggie
hard to concentrate
right on time
did i let you know
under the bridge
higher ground
californication
by the way

Drum Jam
Around the World
Soul to Squeeze
Give it away
End Jam

Good work gt4ever :)
[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1321486859' post='1439913']
That was probably the only RCHP gig I was at that wasn't a washout. Seen them 6 times and they've been pants at each. The Slane DVD makes them look a lot better than they were on the day.
[/quote]

Well credit where its due then at the moment Chad is totally in the zone not just with RHCP but with other stuff too, Josh is doing a great job of both his stuff with them (all played on a black Strat I noticed) and the back catalogue (all played on various 'correct' guitars if you like), Keidis has never sounded so good live never ever in their history, he really has put some work in IMO and Flea is Flea still, no drop in energy or skill from what I can see. They sound the tightest as a band probably since the BSSM days but with less drug induced tripe going on. Much improved since the previous times I have seen them. :)

[quote name='gt4ever' timestamp='1321521327' post='1440022']
was the day before when they played 6 BSSM numbers.

M.E.N. Arena, Manchester, UK 2011-11-14

Set list

Disc 1
01 Monarchy of Roses
02 Dani California
03 Charlie
04 Look Around
05 Otherside
06 If You Have To Ask
07 Can't Stop
08 The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie
09 Blood Sugar Sex Magik
10 Me & My Friends

11 Factory of Faith
12 Under the Bridge
13 Higher Ground
14 Californication
15 By the Way
16 Chad & Mauro Jam
17 Sir Psycho Sexy
18 They're Red Hot
19 Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
20 Give It Away
21 Final Jam

the 15th was more cali stuff

monarchy
dani
tell me baby
scar tissue
look around
she's only 18
can't stop
rain dance maggie
hard to concentrate
right on time
did i let you know
under the bridge
higher ground
californication
by the way

Drum Jam
Around the World
Soul to Squeeze
Give it away
End Jam
[/quote]

They did Soul To Squeeze live :) that is my favourite song and bass line of all time. B****r....

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1321523152' post='1440056']
They did Soul To Squeeze live :) that is my favourite song and bass line of all time. B****r....
[/quote]
Massive plus a million! And the bassline none Flea fans would not expect from him, My missus reckons I have seen them do soul to squeeze live before but I dont think so, brilliant!

• 8 months later...

I got to see them last night in Tampere and thought it was a great show, they were ALL ferking awesome :) Lots of jamming tonight which showed how well they all Gel, Flea being the instigator tho ;)

set list:
Monarchy of Roses
Can't Stop
Dani California
Otherside
Look Around
Throw Away Your Television
Charlie
Soul to Squeeze
She's Only 18
The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie
Right on Time
Wet Sand
Under the Bridge
Californication
By the Way

Encore:
Suck My Kiss
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (Neil Young cover)
Give It Away
Final Jam

[quote name='Mog' timestamp='1321486859' post='1439913']
[/quote]

This pretty much.

I saw them in Dublin the year before Slane when no dvd was being filmed. 70, unenthusiastic, flat, minutes and they were done. Went to Slane and it was a great show played for nearly 2 hours (one or two jams aren't on the dvd) and were redeemed for me. But that only lasted til the next day when I found out they had filmed it for a dvd release - that explained the sudden jump in quality for me!

Maybe they're better now with a young enthusiastic guitarist but after seeing them twice, I'm done with them as a live band. But hey, I doubt they'll be losing any sleep over that :) so if you're going to see them enjoy!