Why become a member? ×

£££££'s

Hi folks, today ive been to the local shop in town to inquire about a bridge replacement and setup, ive ordered a Gotoh bridge from Bass Parts Resource and Super Slinky's from Stringbuster's and my plan is to have them on my Yamaha Bb614 that i had from Machines last year. I havent used this guy in town before and he quoted their standard £55 service/setup fee plus £10 aprox for the bridge. My question to you guys is do you think this is reasonable or do you think it may be a bit high????
Cheer's Steve.

TBH some folk on here will be aghast that it is costing anything as they could do that kind of thing themselves; on the other hand if you are useless with set-ups and swapping bits then £55 is the fee that most tradesmen would charge for the first hour of work. I've just had work done on my house and every trade that I had in (sparky, brickie, joiner, plumber, plasterer etc) charged a bare minimum of £50 an hour (mates rates for one or two jobs). Did I/could I grumble at that? nah because if you have a trade or service that other people want then you have to pay the going rate.

Local rates around here would however indicate that £55 is on the top end of the scale for a standard set-up, hence charging that extra £10 is a bit cheeky because if the bridge is a direct drop in replacement then it's a 5 minute addition to the job... mind if the bass needs to be routed or modded then that's fair enough.

In summary - If he's good at his job and the job has the potential to be tricky then his price is fine especially if he has expensive overheads but if he's a part-timer working out of the garage or as a handyman in the local flea-pit guitar shop then a smidgen high.

The chap I use charges £30 (plus the strings, which I supply anyway) for a standard setup, and he is someone I trust who has been in the guitar business for years - I have been going to him on & off for at least 30). So yes £55 does sound a bit high for a setup.

Edited by WalMan

I wouldn't pay £55 for a setup. On the rare occasions I pay somebody else to do it, the going rate around here is around £30 + strings. If it's a strat (floating trem), it's usually a bit more. A new nut in my les paul (which required a bit of setting up post op) was £30.

edit: I was once charged about 40 quid I think for a job on my acoustic guitar, but that was different to the price originally quoted, they didn't ring me to tell me of the price difference and so I won't be going back. Have a look at the recommended luthiers thread to see if there is one in your area.

Edited by john_the_bass

The Bass Gallery in London charge £30 for a setup. I just had a 6 string setup done and that was the charge. They discount 20% on string prices, when having a setup done and this puts them close to online prices for strings (i think).

P

Thanks guy's, i did my p bass myself, same kind of thing bridge and setup but i want this one done right so i can be sure im getting the best out of it. I will scour the area and get more quotes and try and find a bit out about the skills of the person il use. Thanks again guys.

Nice one. I fitted one of those to a Cort bass I had and I will be getting a 5 string version for the Yamaha.

My story of a shop setup was that I was promised a free setup after playing it in. I could cope with paying for new strings even though they were overpriced (IMO). But charging me £5 for fitting them I felt was taking the mick. I also asked if they would keep the old strings for spares but on collection was told they had cut them off.