Why become a member? ×

Little Mark Tube 800

leroydiamond

The LM2 was an industry changing amp. Fantastic full tone.

You know what I don't think works for Markbass? Their latest prducts don't seem to build on the innovation very much. In fact, its virtually the same, with a few extras.

The F series are great but the F500 is too expensive for what it is.

I think they should have put a lot more thought into the LM3...and added a mute/aux in/the better limiter they have on the Momarks, etc. They never did say why they didnt add that limiter, it just disappeared off the spec of the amp.

I really want them to get a new LM4, and up the wattage, add the extras, same size and weight, but the same price. Doubt it.

I think for innovation, the Genz and TC chaps have clearly now taken the baton IMO.

I had a LMIII for a good while, but found I was using a Sansamp permanently to get the tubey sound I was after, so in the search for simplicity I tried the Tube 500 and the Rocker, neither of which I got on with (Tube too subtle, Rocker too fizzy), so then I went through the others like the Shuttle (again, too harsh/fizzy for me), the PF500 and Bass Terror, and ended up with a TC Classic, then the RH450. I use a Schroeder cab, and it works for my sound really well - lots of low mids and some nice tube saturation. Plus all the bells and whistles are good to have - I have the simplest stage setup: amp, cab, bass. Tuner's built-in, compressor's built-in, three presets built-in - I'm not a fan of pedals.

I'd like to try a Streamliner, but that's just inquisitiveness - I've no real desire to change what's a winning formula for me.

I should add that every amp on the list above was more than loud enough (with decent cabs) for my rock band.

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1322669047' post='1454225']
+1 we must be twins as thats how i set mine up :)

If the LMII is not a future classic i'll eat my hat. I remember (about 150 gigs ago) when i first tried the LMII and how it completely blew me away. Still does. The only thing that could change would be the D.I. by putting a pre-EQ which they addresses with the LMIII

For tubiness has anyone mentioned getting a pedal of some description?
[/quote]

Another almost flat user. Ive had a LMII, SA450 and currently a F1 and all have been run pretty much flat other than the filters. I did like the SA450 for its 100hz boost but i can live without it. Like a lot of player i also use a BDDI in front of mine (less so with the F1) and i find i can get a nice big, warm tone most of the time but the BDDI can add enough dirt if i need it.

The pre/post EQ DI is a pretty easy thing to change on the LMII. Its just a matter of moving a jumper inside.

As some know i had a Streamliner earlier this year but felt it was too far from the MB tone i was used to so sold it on. Its a very different tone to anything MB can produce, both very, very good but MB won out......this time.
The Streamliner didn't work too well with my 1212L cab, although it sounded good enough. There is just something magical about a MB/Schroeder rig IMO.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1322822311' post='1456186']
A bit like a P bass then :-)
[/quote]

Definitely. As much as my ears grew tired of P basses a few years ago, I still think that tone sits amazingly well, with zero effort. Now Ive had a break from the P for a few months, im looking forward to using it again.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1322822752' post='1456191']
It appears that the markbass tube 800 is lacking enough support on this forum, suggesting a blind purchase might be too risky. Maybe going that bit extra and opting for the Markbass TTE 500 is an option. Anybody got any reports on these?
[/quote]

I guess it's your call. If you want one amp then it might be nice compromise, but for the money , you could get either The LM2/3 secondhand and a tube preamp like a sansamp/ DVH (i think that's them) or a terror bass or streamliner.. I think main love is actually for the LM2/3 really or something else, not even the tube really.. After using the Terror, I don't think the MB Tube does enough.. I'd rather the LM with my sansamp

to go further I'd say MB doesn't do tube... they do natural and warm very well

Edited by algmusic

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1322823892' post='1456214']
If you want a more tube like sound, and want Markbass, that TTE is probably your best bet! However, at £799 i would compare it to the Orange Bass Terror, Genz Streamliner, etc. Can you get to anywhere to test? You could use the 7 day return policy.
[/quote]
[quote name='algmusic' timestamp='1322825153' post='1456244']
I guess it's your call. If you want one amp then it might be nice compromise, but for the money , you could get either The LM2/3 secondhand and a tube preamp like a sansamp/ DVH (i think that's them) or a terror bass or streamliner.. I think main love is actually for the LM2/3 really or something else, not even the tube really.. After using the Terror, I don't think the MB Tube does enough.. I'd rather the LM with my sansamp

to go further I'd say MB doesn't do tube... they do natural and warm very well

[/quote]

I might be able to get my hands on an orange terror to try out.

I tried the MB TTE, but eventually settled on the Streamliner. The TTE has a great tone, and I think it is quite unique in the MB range as it sounds quite like an Ampeg. That said, for the price I don't understand the things they missed off: no headphone out, no aux in, no mute, only one of the MB filters (although it is tube driven), I mean who actually uses much of the tone controls on their Markbass stuff? For me they're all about their filters. Also it's got little LEDs inside to look like glowing tubes, whereas the Streamliner actually has... glowing tubes! (Does that make me vain?) Also there's a heck of a lot of fresh air inside the casing of the TTE which from a portability based company seems a bit strange. But I think it is well worth a look as there's a lot right with it too. Still remarkable lack of grit for so many tubes...

[quote name='moonbass' timestamp='1322914753' post='1457217']
I tried the MB TTE, but eventually settled on the Streamliner. The TTE has a great tone, and I think it is quite unique in the MB range as it sounds quite like an Ampeg. That said, for the price I don't understand the things they missed off: no headphone out, no aux in, no mute, only one of the MB filters (although it is tube driven), I mean who actually uses much of the tone controls on their Markbass stuff? For me they're all about their filters. Also it's got little LEDs inside to look like glowing tubes, whereas the Streamliner actually has... glowing tubes! (Does that make me vain?) Also there's a heck of a lot of fresh air inside the casing of the TTE which from a portability based company seems a bit strange. But I think it is well worth a look as there's a lot right with it too. Still remarkable lack of grit for so many tubes...
[/quote]

Thanks. Great to hear from someone who has experience of both. what cabs do you use with the streamliner?