Why become a member? ×

Kick At The Top Of The Neck

Hobbayne

Just got my VM Jazz back from my tech following a setup, and to have the nut re cut.
He suggested that I upgrade the pots, as they are rather crackly and a bit cack.
He also says the there is a bit of a kick at the top of the neck! :)
Not wishing to appear an idiot, I just nodded.
What did he mean by this?? :)

Not heard 'kick' used in context with a neck issue before.
Perhaps it's just a colloqialism?

As for the pots, I'd be inclined to squirt a couple of pence worth of switch cleaner in them and give them a bit of a clean out - it can work wonders and save you having to spend money on unnecessary replacements.

Probably a reference to the [size=7]~[size=4] shape caused by the truss rod, so the last few frets 'kick' up a bit. [/size][/size]
[size=7][size=4]Have you got a 2' steel rule or similar straight edge to lay along the frets & check?[/size][/size]

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1320160931' post='1423120']
Probably a reference to the [size=7]~[size=4] shape caused by the truss rod, so the last few frets 'kick' up a bit. [/size][/size]
[size=7][size=4]Have you got a 2' steel rule or similar straight edge to lay along the frets & check?[/size][/size]
[/quote]

If you don't have a short steel rule, at a push a credit/debit card isn't a bad substitute

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1320173720' post='1423374']

If you don't have a short steel rule, at a push a credit/debit card isn't a bad substitute
[/quote]
Well I suppose you could buy one :) what I meant is a LONG straight edge, like a 24"/2'/60cm steel rule to lay along the top of the frets :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1320165331' post='1423204']
You of all people should know what a kick at the top of the neck is Matt. :)

Although why the guy said it was common in Fenders (over any other make) beats me.
[/quote]

I wouldn't have called it a kick, it looked like it had taken a few kicks though! It was more like a Curly Wurly which had been left in the sun :)

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1320176776' post='1423443']
Well I suppose you could buy one :) what I meant is a LONG straight edge, like a 24"/2'/60cm steel rule to lay along the top of the frets :)
[/quote]

Sorry John, thought we were talking about using a short straight edge for rocking to and fro, spanning three frets.